Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Article:

“But while players were stoked for a game set in World War 1, a setting rarely touched by the genre, culture critics in the media and on Twitter found it in poor taste. After decades of ultra-violent video games depicting all sorts of travesties, apparently WW1 is the line in the sand for some critics.”

http://heatst.com/tech/is-world-war-1-t ... or-gaming/

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
wings7

RE: Is WW1 Too Hot to Touch for Gaming?

Post by wings7 »

For me there is main stream gaming and the all important indie developer gaming...[:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Damn, that is pretty dumb.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

"...culture critics in the media and on twitter..." 'nuff said.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Article:

“But while players were stoked for a game set in World War 1, a setting rarely touched by the genre, culture critics in the media and on Twitter found it in poor taste. After decades of ultra-violent video games depicting all sorts of travesties, apparently WW1 is the line in the sand for some critics.”

warspite1

Never mind. Rubbish like that written by idiots like that isn't worth getting worked up about.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

No.

But it might very well be to cold.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Funny, I've always heard it isn't a popular genre because it's seen as boring
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Well ya if it is at all historical you are looking at 4 years of trench warfare, can we say boring? Otherwise it is not worth playing if fantasy.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

You could make a pretty good argument that the impact and contribution (and life-expectancy) of any single soldier on a WW1 battlefield would be so minor (and short and brutal) that you couldn't represent any sort of compelling gameplay with it.

You'd either have to turn it into a game of constant Roguelike respawns of the player-soldier throwing themselves into the trenches forever and ever, which falls somewhere between a disservice to the history that you're attempting to depict and a sop to realism that produces no interesting avenue of play

Or you could turn the player into the Western Front equivalent of Rambo, throwing out realism in exchange for playability, but at that point one wonders why you'd choose to set the game in WW1 in the first place if you're going to have to go out of your way to make it feel like something else.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Actually, a board game version of WWI: Fatal Aliances is an incredibly fun game to play. Its WWI WiF. It shouldn't be difficult to code since the vast majority of the code already has been written in MWiF. It has the best diplomatic system I've ever seen.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

There are now a fair few strategic level WW1 games out there.

The article seems to be addressing the realm of first person shooters. It is specifically addressed to the recently touted Battlefield 1. The thrust seems to the ability of developers to deal with the horrors of the war sensitively.

It's a bit of a silly take given that FPS's have for years dealt with other violent conflicts. Trench warfare was pretty ugly but so was a lot of the WW2 conflicted in the Eastern Front which at times resembled trench warfare.

However at the end the author (sensibly in mho) concludes the criticism only has validity if you regard the Battlefield series as being some sort of definitive source material for what soldiers endured during war. Clearly it is no such thing.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Actually, a board game version of WWI: Fatal Aliances is an incredibly fun game to play. Its WWI WiF. It shouldn't be difficult to code since the vast majority of the code already has been written in MWiF. It has the best diplomatic system I've ever seen.
That's a strategic-level board-wargame though. The article (and my post) was about the usefulness and tastefulness of trying to simulate WW1 from a first-person shooter perspective.

It's no surprise that a World in Flames-esque game about WW1 would work, because that's the level where a player's choices can actually matter.
Recognition

Post by Recognition »

This is my Twitter "WW1 On This Day" site for those interested.

https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Orm

Post by Orm »

I found it interesting that The Great War channel analysed the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Well ya if it is at all historical you are looking at 4 years of trench warfare, can we say boring? Otherwise it is not worth playing if fantasy.

Much like letting OKH build units in WiTE. A fantasy.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Cello700

Post by Cello700 »

And a game that allows you play as a member of Hitlers armed forces is seen as acceptable taste?[8|]

I always thought that there were so few games about WW1 (except air combat of course) was that there was very little strategy or tactics involved in comparison to other wars. Dig a trench, wait for artillery bombardment, charge enemy, gain or lose a few hundred yards. Repeat.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Looks to me more like a writer that needed to publish something and he found an idiot with a twitter account for his subject matter.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

There are lots of good WWI games and I think the idea that it's all trench warfare is a common misconception, though IMHO a lot of WWI works best wargame-wise at an operational or grand strategy scale.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I had a friend who loved WW2 games but could not stand WW1 games because he said that "there are no real and large tank battles, no fighter planes per se attacking each other, no house to house infantry fighting, no large scale city attacks etc..." so he found them "boring" to say the least. But on the other hand he loved Napoleonic and US Civil War Games! His argument held no foundation to me if he said that about WW1 but played the other military era war games. Go Figure???
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Article:

Critics have also made claim that Starship Troopers movie is praise of fascism.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”