Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/13/2016 4:21:34 PM   
nedcorleone1

So I'm steamrolling my way through the Russian territory and making sweet gains (full campaign game here). Around the Turn 4/5 mark I have to pause hard as my panzers are running on fumes. That's fine because it allows the infantry to catch up after mopping up the Turn 1/2 pockets. There isn't too much directly in front of me so I prep a power drive for Turn 5. I've got my Panzers in position with a nice large gap in the Russian lines, particularly in the center just east of Smolensk. The road to Moscow is almost wide open with the exception of a few staggered defenders. HQ build up and everything ready to go.

Turn 6 and the operation is a go... except... what is this? A hundred new Russian units magically appear in front of me presenting the biggest blob of brown I have ever seen. Not only that, these units are seemingly well equipped, not just unit 'shells' that take time to fill the TOE. Well... there goes that plan.

Right now I'm slogging my way forward trying to create an opening to rush through. Every time I set myself up for an operational push forward with my mobile units, the Russians simply retreat their line and more units seemingly appear. Clearly I won't win like this as the Axis. Railheads are slowly moving forward but I'm still strained for supplies. The mud will be here soon now that I'm in mid-late August. Moscow was right there but new Russian armies descended from the skies and settled themselves in. I feel like it's already over.

How on earth do you deal with the sudden appearance of millions of men like this... right at the frontline no less?

< Message edited by mr_flappypants -- 5/13/2016 5:36:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/13/2016 8:00:47 PM   
uw06670

My suggestion is to attack somewhere else. If he has gathered all those resources to defend the center, then he's got to be weak elsewhere. Don't pound your head against the brick wall, go to where he is weak.

- Mark

(in reply to nedcorleone1)
Post #: 2
RE: Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/13/2016 8:56:27 PM   
RKhan

quote:

ORIGINAL: uw06670

My suggestion is to attack somewhere else. If he has gathered all those resources to defend the center, then he's got to be weak elsewhere. Don't pound your head against the brick wall, go to where he is weak.

Agree. I have played a bit of Soviet side now and we just don't have the units to blob everywhere, unless your opening pockets were too small. Of course Moscow is key so you're likely to find the most units on the direct path.

Ain't like playing the AI, though, is it?

RKhan

(in reply to uw06670)
Post #: 3
RE: Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/14/2016 9:38:37 PM   
NotOneStepBack

Attack at two key points and pocket them. They don't have infinite resources, at some point they will break. The key is to never let the Russian dig in, you have to keep the pressure on otherwise your offense will be stalled. Pockets do this.

(in reply to RKhan)
Post #: 4
RE: Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/15/2016 11:49:36 AM   
coolts

Whenever the morale level is set to 110 or greater, then leader admin checks for movement allowances are always successful (14.1.2) and
the Soviet AI is able to build combat units so as to maintain a force of 300 divisions and 100 brigades at no additional admin cost (12.2.4
).

..this drove me bonkers with "whack-a-mole". Turned it down to 109. Still challenging but no infinite horde.

< Message edited by coolts -- 5/15/2016 11:51:27 AM >

"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix

(in reply to NotOneStepBack)
Post #: 5
RE: Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/15/2016 5:52:22 PM   
JTP

quote:

ORIGINAL: mr_flappypants

So I'm steamrolling my way through the Russian territory and making sweet gains (full campaign game here). Around the Turn 4/5 mark I have to pause hard as my panzers are running on fumes. That's fine because it allows the infantry to catch up after mopping up the Turn 1/2 pockets. There isn't too much directly in front of me so I prep a power drive for Turn 5. I've got my Panzers in position with a nice large gap in the Russian lines, particularly in the center just east of Smolensk. The road to Moscow is almost wide open with the exception of a few staggered defenders. HQ build up and everything ready to go.

Turn 6 and the operation is a go... except... what is this? A hundred new Russian units magically appear in front of me presenting the biggest blob of brown I have ever seen. Not only that, these units are seemingly well equipped, not just unit 'shells' that take time to fill the TOE. Well... there goes that plan.

Right now I'm slogging my way forward trying to create an opening to rush through. Every time I set myself up for an operational push forward with my mobile units, the Russians simply retreat their line and more units seemingly appear. Clearly I won't win like this as the Axis. Railheads are slowly moving forward but I'm still strained for supplies. The mud will be here soon now that I'm in mid-late August. Moscow was right there but new Russian armies descended from the skies and settled themselves in. I feel like it's already over.

How on earth do you deal with the sudden appearance of millions of men like this... right at the frontline no less?

A frequent occurance.

I had a similar thing recently; around 150 Russian units destroyed by agc on the way to Moscow.

I was poised just east of Rzhev/Vyazma line with nothing of consequence in between it and Moscow, everywhere, center, flanks, etc.

I was looking forward to running over a bunch of Soviet airfields.

Next turn, dozens of strong Russians divisions appear everywhere.

I could have easily encircled and destroyed them too in time with the two agc panzer groups, but this was mid-October..............and it started to rain.

<g>

< Message edited by JTP -- 5/15/2016 5:56:41 PM >

(in reply to nedcorleone1)
Post #: 6
RE: Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? - 5/16/2016 4:34:34 AM   
Farfarer61

Yeah, I set the Sovs to 120 all and Axis normal. It makes for a good AI game if you deliberately don't do uber pockets. You can 'just' i.e. need to fight in the mud and snow right up to blizzard, get Leningrad and Moscow, but lose Moscow and much more in the traditional severe blizzard counter attack.

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Dealing with the magical Russian blob appearance? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI