Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WitW on Surface Pro 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> WitW on Surface Pro 3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WitW on Surface Pro 3 - 5/13/2016 2:30:45 AM   
MrDave

I have a SP3, 4g ram 128g HD win 10 Pro. Do you think this game would play smoothly? I have tried WitP AE, not fast.
Thanks.

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Post #: 1
RE: WitW on Surface Pro 3 - 5/13/2016 5:28:19 AM   
zakblood

for a guess, as the display is a none default size 2,160 x 1,440 screen

and it also depends on what CPU / GPU option it has as well, with three low-power 4th-generation Intel Core (Haswell) CPUs and a mix of memory/storage options.

so lets check the spec first and instead of guessing will have a better opinion than pure guess work alone...

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

but before this, i'll make a few comments,

4gb of ram is total system memory on a 64bit platform, - what's needed for the GPU, as it's a on die CPU addon so a shared GPU on the die as well, so shared memory is system ram, so if you place even one GB of main memory to the shared display, on the whole that will slow down windows, while it is using the CPU to use the GPU, that slows down the CPU for windows tasks, this is why it's not fast and never was design for games, just general use, a good bit of kit all the same, but a jack of all trades, but no master of none.

a cheap quarter of the price when bought dedi pc and vga card would always, well most of the time be faster, basing this opinion on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 todays price and spec, as not fully sure of the 3 pro price when you bought it either...

£1,799.00 incl. VAT for the 512gb version with 16gb of ram and a I7 cpu / GPU i7 Intel Iris graphics onboard chip

so to finish off, it will work, but to what degree is guess work atm and may give the same performance as WitP AE or worse, but it will or should work.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/13/2016 5:40:48 AM >

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 2
RE: WitW on Surface Pro 3 - 5/13/2016 3:33:36 PM   
MrDave

Sorry. Should have known better.
Thanks

Attachment (1)

In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: WitW on Surface Pro 3 - 5/19/2016 8:12:30 AM   
zakblood

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

system normal default is 100% or 96dpi, but yours is stretched to do the none default screen size

Display Memory: 2113 MB
Dedicated Memory: 112 MB may make it jerky, but could work ok tbh
Shared Memory: 2000 MB
Current Mode: 2160 x 1440 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Memory: 4096MB RAM of main system ram on a 64bit o/s when 2gb of this is shared with the GPU, so while it will more than likely work, i'd guess it will be jerky as WitP AE

(in reply to MrDave)
Post #: 4
RE: WitW on Surface Pro 3 - 7/3/2016 7:40:58 PM   
tex_ka95

I have WiTE installed on my Surface Pro 1 and it works pretty well. Haven't tried WiTW yet. I play it occasionally when traveling. I stick to the smaller scenarios as traversing a huge map on that tiny screen can be annoying, and certain tasks like disbanding units and merging units can't be done because those items are hidden by the small screen in the unit info pop-up. And I don't see a shortcut for those tasks. That probably would be less of an issue in WiTE since those items are at the top of the unit info pop-up so less likely to be hidden. Also, I need to use the keyboard as using the ESC key to close pop-ups is a must. The X to close pop-up boxes is often hidden as well.

It's not ideal for every day play but maybe worth a try. I just upgraded the tablet to Win10 from Win8 and other than running the program to see if it would start (it did), I haven't played it since.
Erik

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: WitW on Surface Pro 3 - 12/7/2016 5:46:39 PM   
Stele

Works on my Surface Pro 2 just fine. I prefer a bigger screen for obvious reasons, but this is still pretty ideal when you want to take your war on the go.

(in reply to tex_ka95)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support >> WitW on Surface Pro 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI