Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 1:37:57 PM   
fulcrum28

A Quiz on the Submarine class I-400 of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Challenge your knowledge! ;)

Quiz on the I-400 submarine

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 1:43:40 PM   
geofflambert

OK, let me begin not taking this quiz by saying "huh?"

The Pearl Harbor attack was the worst NOT success in the history of Japan.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 4/30/2016 1:47:14 PM >

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 1:59:52 PM   
fulcrum28

At that historical moment, the IJN considered that the losses were lower than expected in terms of aircrafts. The fleet also safely returned to home islands. The fact that the US carriers were not there, was not properly considered at that moment. Therefore, the writing is aimed at what it was thought at that time. Sorry for the confusion.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 2:12:21 PM   
geofflambert

I'm still confused. If the US carriers had been there... Pissing off a country that is ten times more powerful than Japan and on a schedule to be twenty times more powerful... How would that prevent Hiroshima and Nagasaki? It wouldn't, most likely Tokyo, Yokohama and Osaka would have been vaporized as well. I also (without checking) suspect it might be a slur to suggest that Yamamoto was somehow connected to such an absurd notion.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 7:49:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm still confused. If the US carriers had been there... Pissing off a country that is ten times more powerful than Japan and on a schedule to be twenty times more powerful... How would that prevent Hiroshima and Nagasaki? It wouldn't, most likely Tokyo, Yokohama and Osaka would have been vaporized as well. I also (without checking) suspect it might be a slur to suggest that Yamamoto was somehow connected to such an absurd notion.
warspite1

Why are you confused? It doesn't matter what we know now, its what the Japanese believed at the time that matters. fulcrum28 states that the sentiment expressed was what the Japanese believed in the immediate aftermath of Pearl Harbor.

Maybe some believed that war with the US was stupid - but I suspect the majority were convinced the strike was a massive success and what followed in Malaya, Singapore, The Philippines, The NEI and Burma in quick order thereafter simply fed that belief.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 4/30/2016 8:11:16 PM >

Temporary change of avatar in memory of Uncle warspite1; 4th Battalion, The Wiltshire Regiment, 43rd Wessex Division. Hero.

Post #: 5
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 8:12:21 PM   
BBfanboy

Few people in Japan had ever met an American and the popular notion of Americans (fed by propaganda) was that they were a luxury loving people who would not bear the hardships of war. It was a huge mis-estimation of the American character. Yamamoto had been to the US and knew differently, but when he was overruled he did his duty as a naval officer.

Makes one pause and look at the misjudgements current world leaders are making or preparing to make because they do not understand the character of their counterparts.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 8:16:19 PM   
warspite1

Exactly, I don't understand the confusion here.

Temporary change of avatar in memory of Uncle warspite1; 4th Battalion, The Wiltshire Regiment, 43rd Wessex Division. Hero.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 4/30/2016 9:14:20 PM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Few people in Japan had ever met an American and the popular notion of Americans (fed by propaganda) was that they were a luxury loving people who would not bear the hardships of war. It was a huge mis-estimation of the American character. Yamamoto had been to the US and knew differently, but when he was overruled he did his duty as a naval officer.

Makes one pause and look at the misjudgements current world leaders are making or preparing to make because they do not understand the character of their counterparts.

Exactly, it really doesn't matter how big is USA or how small Japan compare to USA. It is all about intelligence reports and tactics. Let say Japan had a lot of good pilots compare to S.Sakai, now that would be different war here.

The problems is that Japan made too many mistakes and still cost USA a lot of lives to end the war in the Pacific. Biggest mistake is they or mostly didn't listen to Yamamoto advises.

Poor protection on the convoys, poor pilot rating after the Battle of Midway, etcs. Either way the USA still gonna bomb Japan somehow, through China or expendable single bomber. That WMDs is the key to get them to stop fighting.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 5/1/2016 5:00:43 PM   
geofflambert

I apologize for my reaction. It was both uncalled for and not useful.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 5/2/2016 10:20:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

No problem but you must take your punishment like a Gorn - go and stand in the corner, facing the wall for the rest of the day.

Post #: 10
RE: OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN - 5/2/2016 5:33:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

No problem but you must take your punishment like a Gorn - go and stand in the corner, facing the wall for the rest of the day.

The wall with the big screen TV on it? He can watch Animal Planet all day and drool at all the food going by his eyes!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT: Quiz on the Submarine I-400 IJN Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI