Sqz stands down. The AAR is now concluded. Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

SqzMyLemon

Sqz stands down. The AAR is now concluded. Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I'm excited to announce that I've picked up the Allied side in obvert's suspended match versus Historiker. I proposed some time ago to pick up either of obvert's dormant games so that he could wrap one of them up. Historiker graciously gave up his Allied side and obvert accepted my offer to substitute in.

I've gone through Historiker's AAR and realize I'm inheriting a great position. That's not to say it's going to be smooth sailing and a cake walk. Obvert is a good player and I'm going to have to learn how to play this game much better to prove my worth. I can't simply rely on being handed a great setup and coast along. That being said, I plan on conducting the Allied war effort in the spirit in which Historiker had been, and that was aggressively.

There will be an initial delay as we synch our game versions, update to the latest patch and familiarize ourselves with the situation. A review and confirmation of existing HR's will be dealt with as well.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to pick up the Allied side and finally get to play the mid/late war having never done so previously. I thank Erik for the chance and wish him a fun and rewarding game experience as we move forward to bring this war to a conclusion.

I will pick things up from where Historiker left off in his AAR once we get this going.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
BBfanboy

RE: A pick up game and it's not Lowpe! Sqz (A) vs. obvert (J)

Post by BBfanboy »

Should be an exciting match-up. Obvert knows how to handle the details of the Japanese side very well and thinks strategically. I doubt he will make big costly mistakes but he will take calculated risks. Good luck and good posting![:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Was this the game where the Americans ambushed the KB on day 2 at Pearl?
Hans

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Was this the game where the Americans ambushed the KB on day 2 at Pearl?

Yep. Very fascinating game. Lots of hijinxs around Marcus or Wake now I can't remember which. Mid to late 43.
Walker84

Post by Walker84 »

Subscribed - and I like the catchy title of this new AAR.

For a long time now Lowpe has been providing a valuable service to the community by picking up loose games and writing insightful AARs about them too[&o]. Its great to see the tradition continuing in good hands.
The most advanced nations are always those who navigate the most -
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 -1882)
obvert

Post by obvert »

At last Joseph and I will lock horns! This has been a while in the making as we've thrown the idea around of starting something for a few years now. I'm looking forward to it and to see where this unusual game ends up.

I'll bow out now and wish Joseph the best of luck (or maybe second best). [;)]
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

So it's on. Erik sent the turn and I'll have a replay to watch to get into the mood.

To be honest, I didn't follow the AAR's of either player much when the game was ongoing. I have caught up with Historiker's AAR, but I really have no recollection of Erik's true situation. I remember no specific details, or how Erik planned on persecuting the rest of the war. I'm going into this blind, so other than checking the list of Japanese losses and the map, I don't have any idea what is currently happening. Erik might not either! [:D]

I'm looking forward to taking on the role of a new commander unfamiliar with events, but immediately tasked with persecuting the war effort to a successful conclusion.

Once I get oriented, I'll begin posting some screenshots and such to bring us all up to speed on the current situation.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Glad to see you pick up the sword and accepted battle against Eric. Long live the AE Forum! I'll be following both sides, which is always alot of fun. Go get 'em!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Congratulations! Picking up a game is like a box of chocolate. You never know till you bite!

It looks like I picked a marzipan as opposed to the cherry. [:D]

The game date last updated in Historiker's AAR was 8 Nov 42. The current game date is 31 Oct 43, so almost an entire year has been undocumented.

My overall impression of the Allied position is...poor. I have no practical experience to base this opinion on, or if I'm mistaken and it's more promising then it first appears. My own thoughts are yikes, I have a lot of work to do! I believe the Allies are not logistically capable of sustaining any meaningful advance anywhere on the map. Despite relatively few naval combat losses (excepting battleships it seems) much of the Allied naval forces have not been committed forward, and for those that are, there is no fuel available for further fleet operations. I think I have my work cut out for me, and it is definitely not as rosy a situation as I was led to believe after first reading Historiker's hopelessly outdated AAR [:D]. From first glance, it appears the Allied focus has been on Burma and a drive through the Central Pacific with recent landings at Marcus Island. The invasion forces are overstacked, out of supply and a potential disaster is pending if relief isn't forthcoming. Unit preparations indicate the next move was to be against the Marianas. However, how this was to be sustained is beyond my understanding at the moment due to this little nugget.

I will go into much more detail over the next few weeks, but this is going to be a huge challenge for me. I look forward to giving it my best effort and am confident I'll make good progress once I get the logistics in place. First, I have to get organized and decipher my current dispositions before I can determine how best to proceed.
Attachments
Pearl_103143.jpg
Pearl_103143.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 582 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Here's the world map.

Attachments
Pacific_103143.jpg
Pacific_103143.jpg (204.48 KiB) Viewed 583 times

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I would be hitting the "B" button to bring up all your bases and sort by Fuel and then Supply to see where its all at.
[center]Image[/center]
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I would be hitting the "B" button to bring up all your bases and sort by Fuel and then Supply to see where its all at.

I may not know where it is, but I definitely know where it isn't. I'm shocked at the poor stocks of fuel and supply in forward areas in almost every theatre.

You've said it often enough in a lot of AAR's. Logistics...logistics...logistics! My absolute number one priority will be to get fuel, supply and war material into the various theatres of operation so I can get the lean, mean, fighting machine moving.

Attachments
LMFM.jpg
LMFM.jpg (143.87 KiB) Viewed 584 times

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Historiker probably struggled with motivation for many months before dropping the game. Disinterest usually builds gradually rather than hitting suddenly (though losing a huge carrier battle early often gives rise to sudden "oh, sorry, I have real life issues" for Allied players). The first thing to go is annoying micromanagement of logistics, pilot training, etc.

I didn't know Historiker, but he was a pretty good player, wasn't he?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

The situation reminds me of one of my favourite war movies "The Eagle has Landed" from 1976.

The initial American leadership was not quite up to the task of dealing with Michael Caine's elite paratroops. After a fortunate change of events, the leadership role was filled by a much more competent officer.

Was in charge.

Attachments
LarryHagman.jpg
LarryHagman.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 584 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Now in charge.

Attachments
TreatWilliams.jpg
TreatWilliams.jpg (66.18 KiB) Viewed 584 times

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Historiker probably struggled with motivation for many months before dropping the game. Disinterest usually builds gradually rather than hitting suddenly (though losing a huge carrier battle early often gives rise to sudden "oh, sorry, I have real life issues" for Allied players). The first thing to go is annoying micromanagement of logistics, pilot training, etc.

I didn't know Historiker, but he was a pretty good player, wasn't he?

Hi CR. I totally agree. It seems to me Historiker lost his way at some point. Be it disinterest, lack of motivation, real life commitments or any number of reasons, it definitely appears that the basics weren't being covered. Just stepping in, I'm already overwhelmed by the sheer number of units that need to be redeployed, and the numerous issues that must be addressed immediately. I don't mean to disparage Historiker in any way, but the situation is what it is, and it's kind of a mess. It's going to take a lot of effort to get things moving again.

I can't really comment on whether Historiker was a good player or not, Erik would have a much better idea than myself. If nothing else, the fleet and air force looks to be in good shape.

I can't wait to get started. I've learnt over the years playing this game just how important logistics is. I know what I need to do.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Logistics is vital. In fact, I think it's the second most important aspect of the game. I used to think it was the most important. Now I think information is the most important.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Par for the course I think.

Just think about what kind of game you want to have. I think this is an excellent one for realistic advance against the Japanese and if Obvert has done his job well enough you might be fighting in August of 45 or later.

How cool would that be?

Have fun, & I am somewhat envious as it seems like a really neat pickup game. I really love the game date...I didn't realize it was that late in 43.

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

I had to clarify something with Erik before I felt comfortable to start issuing orders for the turn. Essentially all of China is in Japanese hands and what remains of the Chinese Army (a lot) is now in Burma. From what I understand, this wasn't quite kosher according to the established HR of not crossing national boundaries with restricted units. I confirmed with Erik that I can begin to move them back into China immediately.

SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Par for the course I think.

Just think about what kind of game you want to have. I think this is an excellent one for realistic advance against the Japanese and if Obvert has done his job well enough you might be fighting in August of 45 or later.

How cool would that be?

Have fun, & I am somewhat envious as it seems like a really neat pickup game. I really love the game date...I didn't realize it was that late in 43.

It's totally going to be a blast to play and I can't wait to start putting my stamp on things. I agree with your prediction, I don't see this wrapping up anytime soon and it could go well into 1945. It's going to be a pleasure matching wits with Erik, he's such a tenacious opponent.

I should add, I'm thrilled to have a chance to play both my opponents, who I've known for such a long time on the forum. My WitP AE world couldn't be better right now (well maybe if Andre hadn't disappeared). I'm totally into both games and couldn't ask for better players to compete against.

Return to “After Action Reports”