Twilight Struggle AAR

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

CarnageINC

Twilight Struggle AAR

Post by CarnageINC »

Hello all, I talked about doing a Twilight Struggle AAR in the prior posting about the game. I've started a game and thought I would show how awesome this game is. Just looking at photos of it on Steam doesn't do it justice.

I'll throw in notes of what is going on and why I'm playing certain cards. If any of you TS experts out there want to point out alternate ways of playing these cards please feel free to give me your insight. I would love to hear other options and ideas on game play!

I'll try to explain the game as I go along. Once you read through the first round, I believe you will see how the game plays out. If anyone has questions about a certain event or choice I've made please feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer your questions.

***In addition, I'm going to go through my postings from time to time to make corrections on my poor spelling and grammar or clarify things I think are confusing or I thought I missed. It might be wise to wait a bit for make a complete reading of the AAR for a day or two after I've posted things. [:'(]

***I've made a lot of grammar and clarification changes up to Post 46. From that point on, I'll put more care in ensuring what I'm writing is easier and more clear to understand.

Attachments
1 Opening Setup.jpg
1 Opening Setup.jpg (218.55 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

RE: Twilight Struggle AAR

Post by CarnageINC »

After you start the game you have a preliminary setup to go through. I didn't have enough room on the picture to explain the reasoning for the influence placement. This really depends upon the cards you have in your hand. The safest setup is to put 4 points in West Germany and 3 in Italy. Italy is really vulnerable in the early game due in part to the Soviet influence in Yugoslavia. This allows the Soviets access to attacking Italy in the opening moves.

The stability of Italy is only 2, which means in a weak to outside forces. View as how unhappy the people are or how weak the political situation is in the country. The higher the influence your side can put into a country, makes that country more stable. Therefor harder to take it over in a multitude of different ways.

If I started out with a card called "The Marshall Plan", that would allow me to have a diffenent point setup. I could of then placed 3 in West Germany, 2 in Italy, 1 in both Greece and Turkey. Marshall Plan allow the US player to put down 7 more additional points on the opening turn. This would then lock out the Soviets sphere of influence, except Finland, in Europe.

Attachments
2InitialDraw.jpg
2InitialDraw.jpg (389.48 KiB) Viewed 654 times
CarnageINC

"The Calm Before the Storm"

Post by CarnageINC »

World SITREP, "The Calm Before the Storm"

The card draw below lists all the cards I have available for the first 'Headline' action play of the game. Headlines are a card events that played out first in a round before any other activities take place. They help shape the direction of where the round will go.

Attachments
3HeadlineSituation.jpg
3HeadlineSituation.jpg (366.85 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Round 1 Headline, Containment Card

Post by CarnageINC »

This is the best choice I have with the cards in my hand for my Headline. I won't go through the cards one by one since you'll see them in most cases as I play them out.

Operation points are the numbers on the cards in the upper left. These points allow you to do many different things. However all the points must be spent on one type of action. Influence, Coup's, Realignments are the actions you can do.

The type of star behind the number denotes if the action labeled on the card will trigger. If its white, its a US card. If its red, its a Soviet card. If the side opposite of the cards affiliation plays it, that sets off the event on the card. So playing cards is sometimes a catch 22. The player can also use the cards event, they then lose the option of using the cards Ops points for any actions

I should note that the word 'turn' on the picture should say ROUND. Each round has 6-7 turns in it. There are 10 Rounds in total.

Attachments
4HeadlineRd1.jpg
4HeadlineRd1.jpg (269.75 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

RE: Round 1 Headline, Decolonization

Post by CarnageINC »

This is the Soviets Headline for Round 1. In honesty I feel that is poor choice on the AI's part after the round has played out. As I get better playing the game, I'm starting to see the cracks in the AI.

I can still see the reasoning for most of the cards and the order the AI is playing them in. That doesn't mean the AI is incompetent, it does put up a challenging game for a novice like myself. This isn't a bad card, I can see that maybe the AI wants to use a low value card as his Headline and save his higher value cards for actions.

I think that against a human this game can be more intense and challenging for both sides. It probably favors the Soviet player IMO, but I have to test that up with live play to make it a fact.

Attachments
5USSRHeadline.jpg
5USSRHeadline.jpg (307.73 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Soviet Decolonization Placement

Post by CarnageINC »

I'm sure you can argue the AI card play is questionable sometimes, but the AI does a stellar job of point placement. This is a great play by the AI in preparing for the future rounds. Its also a good test for a human player to do to see if I waste my points in those areas countering him. I usually don't worry about it at this early stage of the game. You'll see my reasoning as the game plays out.

Another side note, 'whip' should of been 'wiped' [:'(] In a sadistic way, it still works right? [:D]

Attachments
6USSRPlacement.jpg
6USSRPlacement.jpg (357.64 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Soviet Italian Coup!

Post by CarnageINC »

This move has opened up France for the Soviet menace!

This a brilliant move for the Soviets first turn in the round. It places a lot of pressure on the US player to respond. It could of been worse for the US player, having 3+ points in Italy would of made it painfully hard to put that many points back into Italy.

In a lot of ways the US play is playing catch up the first few rounds. The Soviets always has the initiative in the rounds, playing first. The US does have the last move each turn so they can use that to break Soviet scoring opportunities or place pressure on the Soviet player to counter on his headline and/or first turn next round.

The game, IMO, plays out a lot like chess. You have to plan ahead and try to maneuver for future moves and counter moves. The game really does a great job of representing the political atmosphere of the Cold War.

Attachments
7USSRfirstplay.jpg
7USSRfirstplay.jpg (285.94 KiB) Viewed 652 times
wings7

RE: Soviet Decolonization Placement

Post by wings7 »

Awesome CarnageINC! Thanks for sharing! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
CarnageINC

RE: Soviet Italian Coup!

Post by CarnageINC »

Thanks Wings7, I know you were interested in the game from the prior posting. If you or anyone else has questions please ask!
CarnageINC

US counter response against Coup in Italy

Post by CarnageINC »

I need to do damage control early in Europe. My hand is filled with a lot of damaging cards that work against me. So I need to start weeding out the worst of them at the right moments. Its wise to do damage control early in the game when your in a position to counter events on the cards. Otherwise if you keep them or orbit them, you may find yourself in a pickle at the wrong times. I did this mistake a lot in my first few games. Card play sequence is very important! This is a good case of how to play this card out.

Attachments
8 My response.jpg
8 My response.jpg (317.12 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

World SITREP after Rd 1 Turn 1

Post by CarnageINC »

As you see, I'll mark out where events are happening in the world. From time to time I'll show how the situation around the globe is unfolding with the influence markers.

If your wondering why I didn't counter back into Italy this turn, its because DEFCON 4 doesn't allow for anyone to do direct actions in key battlegrounds in Europe. Also I had no influence adjacent to the country. Therefore I had to start influencing France.

Attachments
11Whatsh..dsofar.jpg
11Whatsh..dsofar.jpg (339.56 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Breaking back into Italy

Post by CarnageINC »

The war for Europe is on! I have the Ops points to counter, so we'll see where it goes?

Attachments
12MyResponse.jpg
12MyResponse.jpg (385.46 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Soviets securing their hold on SE Asia

Post by CarnageINC »

Here is where I'm questioning the AI in hindsight. I feel that this turn is probably not a great time to venture off to Asia when I can counter by taking over Italy. I've read somewhere that avoiding situations where its a 'tit for tat' is a better use of resources. But to me this play doesn't make sense. I guess you can argue that the AI is hoping I burn out some of my cards high value cards early so it can counter them?

As I've stated before, I can see a lot a reasoning on why the AI is doing what its doing. The AI doesn't know what I have in my hand, for all it knows I could have Asia Scoring card and its making moves to secure points. [&:]

Attachments
13AIplay.jpg
13AIplay.jpg (387.44 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Securing Italy and my place in the Middle East

Post by CarnageINC »

This turn I feel as if I'm getting the initiative back, only due to the amount of Ops points in my hand. I'll have to focus on different regions other than Europe since I don't know when the Scoring Cards will appear.

Attachments
14Myresponse.jpg
14Myresponse.jpg (365.68 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Soviet moves in Africa and US moves in Asia

Post by CarnageINC »

I failed to mention the 'COMECON' event. I allowed the AI to place 3 influence points into any Eastern European country. You can see those results in the picture now. 1 point in Poland, 1 in both Hungry and Austria. The 'Warsaw Pact Formed' card will allow him to place 5 more points into Eastern Europe. You will see those results in later postings.

This seems like a good stopping point. So far I've played out to Round 4. I have most of my slides done too. I'll try to get the rest of round 1 posted by the end of the night.

Attachments
16mycoun..ardplay.jpg
16mycoun..ardplay.jpg (373.41 KiB) Viewed 652 times
ezzler

RE: Soviet moves in Africa and US moves in Asia

Post by ezzler »

Nice replay.

i finally won a game as the USA. 10 attempts. Won on final scoring 15 pts.
Recognition

RE: Soviet moves in Africa and US moves in Asia

Post by Recognition »

Brilliant CarnageINC....Really helps beginners like me.

Thanks.
https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Aurelian

RE: Soviet Decolonization Placement

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Awesome CarnageINC! Thanks for sharing! [:)]

I concur.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
CarnageINC

Soviets forced to play a good card for me

Post by CarnageINC »

Thanks for the comments so far. I hope this helps some of you guys pull the trigger on purchasing the game. Its quite a little gem.

Back to the action! The Soviets are forced to trigger this US card, which is a good event for us because of its conditions.

Attachments
17AIplay..Iassume.jpg
17AIplay..Iassume.jpg (296.28 KiB) Viewed 652 times
CarnageINC

Soviet card randomly discarded

Post by CarnageINC »

This works out well for us. Since it was one of our cards randomly discarded we get to use its benefits before the Soviets make their moves and before its put in the discard pile.

As I explained on the slide, I don't want the Soviets to completely control a country next to Italy. For every country next to a targeted country that the enemy controls, they get a +1 bonus on die rolls.

DEFCON levels always raise by 1 at the end of the round, allowing the Soviets a chance to coup Italy.

Attachments
18Randomcarddrawn.jpg
18Randomcarddrawn.jpg (263.49 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Return to “General Discussion”