Totally OT but Totally cool

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lecivius

Totally OT but Totally cool

Post by Lecivius »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/07/politics/ ... index.html

I must have missed a news breif.

"The third Ford-class carrier, the USS Enterprise (CVN 80), is set to begin construction in 2018"

I didn't know the name Enterprise was going back in the water [:)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
btd64

RE: Totally OT but Totally cool

Post by btd64 »

CV65 was retired what 20 years ago. It's about time.....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
reg113

Post by reg113 »

CVN-65 was deactivated in Dec 2012 after her last cruise to the Persian Gulf. [:-]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The USN retired all the conventionally powered carriers before retiring the first CVN. The Enterprise was the first CVN retired, but it was also the first in the water.

When the USN retired the Enterprise they announced there would be a new Enterprise, though I thought she was going to be the 2nd Ford class carrier.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Also of worthy note is the new Enterprise CVN80 is the first ship not to be named for a President / Person since CV 66 America.

I am not and American and therefore perhaps my opinion should not really matter...

But I prefer those "old names" for American flattops.

Perhaps its the 'hobby historian' in me; I like Lexington, Midway, Enterprise, San Juan Hill. I thought naming the carriers after famous American battles was really brilliant. It recognizes (1) Inter service success and (2) That the United States military take an oath to uphold the Constitution of the USA ; not blindly follow a single person or Commander in Chief.

Further when it comes to Presidents there seems to be too much "popularity contest" involved.

Sure JFK DDE FDR TDR GW Abe are all great presidents... Ford and Regan too - I am NOT trying to spur a political debate......

But what about all those other Presidents; some were instrumental in shaping American and western society.

Why no Thomas Jefferson? Despite differing opinions on his overall Presidency Lyndon B Johnston signed the Civil Rghts act (a model legislation for all western societies).

Would there ever be a Woodrow Wilson or a Chester A Arther ?

As I say - just my opinion but I am happy to see the great name Enterprise back... and all the flattops should not be named for "persons".
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Not to worry, no politics involved (other than they have the purse strings). And all opinions are not only welcome, they are encouraged [;)]

It's those afore mentioned purse strings, methinks, that got presidents involved. I prefer the older names as well. But it's money that greases the wheels. I know I would hate to serve on the William Howard Taft [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

...<snitp>... I know I would hate to serve on the William Howard Taft [:D]

[8D]

Although there could be amusing traditions if "President only names" were adopted.

All aboard the Ulysses S Grant would be entitled to a stipend of whisky or run [:'(]

All aboard the Benjamin Harrison would have to sleep with the lights on (installed Edison's invention in the White House but was afraid of electrocution) [:D]

One President participated in a duel if memory serves me correct ; bad for the enlisted men count I assume [&:]

etc etc etc

Money in part no doubt.

However if I were an American in the Secretary of the Navy - it would make sense to only name ships after persons who directly signed the Declaration of Independence.

After all the pledge to support the constitution of the United States would pay tribute to the bravery of those men who faced what was universally thought of as the "unbeatable British Empire upon which the sun never sets".
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Omat

Post by Omat »

I think the name Pauline Wayne would not well suited for such a ship. But she was a important part of the White House around 1910.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Wayne

Omat
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Omat

I think the name Pauline Wayne would not well suited for such a ship. But she was a important part of the White House around 1910.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Wayne

Omat
[:D]
The first president to think "green"! You got yer organic food and natural fertilizers. Still need to deal with the methane gas problem though!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Coach Zuck

Post by Coach Zuck »

Love the fact the new CVN will be named ENTERPRISE!
As a U.S. Citizen (American) I LOVE the idea of resurrecting the "old" names for the new Carriers: SARATOGA, LEXINGTON, YORKTOWN, HORNET, ESSEX, etc

Or resurrecting the older tradition of naming carriers after U.S. warships from the Revolutionary War era to 1815 (War of 1812).
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Well, Constitution is out of the question as it is still in service. [X(] Constellation, the President, the United States, Chesapeake and the Congress are still open, I believe. How about a new one, the USS Supreme Court?

bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

I like the tradition of naming carriers after historic USN warships. I stuck to that tradition in my game when naming the four CVs where it was allowed. Although I stretched the definition a bit, naming one Adventure Galley and another Queen Anne's Revenge. They operated of the US coast and targeted British ships, so they were US ships, kinda, sorta ... I couldn't find a Capt Kidd or Capt Teach to command them, though. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Queen Anne's revenge was inspiring colonials to name ships after her.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”