OT Things to ponder

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

OT Things to ponder

Post by geofflambert »

I'll start off this thread with this:
You're all probably aware of the Coriolus force and the fact that in the Northern Hemisphere low pressure areas, tropical storms, hurricanes and tornados roatate in a counter-clockwise fashion (as seen from my starship).
The opposite is the case in the southern hemisphere.

My question is this: If you play baseball in the southern hemisphere do you have to run the bases in a clockwise fashion?

Alfred

RE: OT Things to ponder

Post by Alfred »

They still run them anti clockwise.

Whether that means they run slower times because they are running into a head wind I don't know.

Alfred
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

You're all probably aware of the Coriolus force and the fact that in the Northern Hemisphere low pressure areas, tropical storms, hurricanes and tornados roatate in a counter-clockwise fashion (as seen from my starship).

My question is this: If you play baseball in the southern hemisphere do you have to run the bases in a clockwise fashion?
warspite1

You mean they play baseball anywhere else?

[;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
RichMunn

Post by RichMunn »

Wales had a very good Baseball team, which often beat England (as it happens) in front of big crowds. Possibly an omen for the European Championships!

Not a patch on cricket, of course.....

[:D] [;)]

RichMunn
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: RichMunn

Wales had a very good Baseball team, which often beat England (as it happens) in front of big crowds. Possibly an omen for the European Championships!

Not a patch on cricket, of course.....

[:D] [;)]
warspite1

What!? Baseball! In the UK! Whatever next? Fetch me my angry trousers - I'm madder than I've ever been [:@]

Re the football, I lay good money that Wales will beat England - especially if Rooney starts....

It would be great to see both qualify (and Northern Ireland) and for Gareth Bale to have a fantastic tournament.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I have something in common with Cmdr. Spock. I am half human on the maternal side and that side is Welsh as far back as anyone knows.
Problem is whenever I visit relatives they try to make shoes or luggage out of me. [:(]

Lucky I don't have any Cajun relatives, they'd probably put me on a stick over a fire.[X(]
Attachments
alligatorshoe.jpg
alligatorshoe.jpg (300.38 KiB) Viewed 4025 times

RichMunn

Post by RichMunn »

Well that's very fair!

Hodgson will pick Rooney even if his leg's falling off and his paunch prevents him from seeing his feet. That despite the presence of some really good young England players.

I hope we both qualify, and since I can't see us winning it (though Bale is a matchwinner at any level) I will be supporting England in their other matches. Unless, of course, a win for them would affect us adversely!

I always enjoy your posts by the way - DCS Barbarossa and WON are 2 of my recent purchases, and I am dabbling with surprising enjoyment in WITP-AE, just Coral Sea against the AI but further than I ever hoped to get when I read the forum!!

Cheers.

[:)]
RichMunn
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

[;)]

Well the further north you go the further the ball flies off a bat due to the freezing cold temperatures / low humidity (of say Toronto) compared to warm humid muggy air in most other baseball locations (say Minneapolis).

[8D]

This of course explains the 2015 Toronto Blue Jays.

In fact should the Blue Jays ever play an extended game series in Edmonton Alberta, or Winnipeg Manitoba - the average score is estimated to be 52 - 49

Further to endure an entire game of baseball in Canada most fans and players are required fortify their blood alcohol limit to approx. 5% per volume through direct injections of Molson's plasma.

Whereas in Hockey the sweaters are thick and heavy and made from ugly sheep.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

warspite1

[;)]

Well the further north you go the further the ball flies off a bat due to the freezing cold temperatures / low humidity (of say Toronto) compared to warm humid muggy air in most other baseball locations (say Minneapolis).

[8D]

In fact should the Blue Jays ever play an extended game series in Edmonton Alberta, or Winnipeg Manitoba - the average score is estimated to be 52 - 49

Further to endure an entire game of baseball in Canada most fans and players are required fortify their blood alcohol limit to approx. 5% per volume through direct injections of Molson's plasma.

warspite1

Pure. Frontier. Gibberish.....

[:D]

RayYoung

Post by RayYoung »

Alfred,

As a recognized Authority on this board I assume you recognize that "Anti-Clockwise" is "Witter shins"

However, MY question is Does this mean that the left handed pitcher no longer has an advantage?
525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

warspite1

[;)]

[8D]

warspite1

Pure. Frontier. Gibberish.....

What continent is Toronto on anyways? [&:]

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

No no not at all....

If you have ever witnessed / seen / evaluated the Hockey jerseys of the Nashville Predators, Miami / Florida Panthers, or Anaheim Ducks you would appreciate "really really ugly sheep".

They are practically as bad as "Crystal Palace" in UK Football...
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No no not at all....

If you have ever witnessed / seen / evaluated the Hockey jerseys of the Nashville Predators, Miami / Florida Panthers, or Anaheim Ducks you would appreciate "really really ugly sheep".

They are practically as bad as "Crystal Palace" in UK Football...
warspite1

I see. Well that puts things into context. I'm so very sorry.

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

regardless of Coriolus force, my Pirates will prob'ly be circling the drain (in their preferred direction), 'round about playoff time. Because, Tradition!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

regardless of Coriolus force, my Pirates will prob'ly be circling the drain (in their preferred direction), 'round about playoff time. Because, Tradition!
warspite1

jmalter. I would just like to let you know. I understood absolutely nothing in that sentence. Nothing. Are you ill or a communist perhaps?

Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

warspite1

jmalter. I would just like to let you know. I understood absolutely nothing in that sentence. Nothing. Are you ill or a communist perhaps?

I understand your confusion W.

I don't think he is ill...I don't know his politics.

I think he must be from Pittsburgh. You can tell from the spelling that the founders and decedents of the place were really odd ball misfits and therefore most intelligent English conversations are very difficult.

Try "Go Steelers" to elicit an emotional reaction.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

I understand your confusion W.

I don't think he is ill...I don't know his politics.

I think he must be from Pittsburgh. You can tell from the spelling that the founders and decedents of the place were really odd ball misfits and therefore most intelligent English conversations are very difficult.

Try "Go Steelers" to elicit an emotional reaction.

warspite1

Thank-you, I appreciate the heads up.

[To jmalter]

Hey! Go Steelers! How 'bout them NYC's?

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Hey Macclan5, what you say about Canada and Winnipeg in particular is most inaccurate!
Firstly, most Molson products are understrength and unsuitable for mainlining. But in the last two decades Canada has sprouted some mighty fine micro-brews that will do the job. And sometimes we import some good off-shore ales like "Wee Angry Scot". [:D]

Secondly, although Winnipeg winters have a deserved wicked reputation (more because of the wind than the temperature), the summers are glorious - warm enough for a T-shirt, cool enough that you can stand to be outside at high-sun. Our a/c bills are considerably lower than sticky climes! [:)] I know because I lived in Southern Ontario for three years, and I got sun-cooked at poolside in Las Vegas in late March!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

What continent is Toronto on anyways?

Toronto - Tor - on - to - (enunciated in a single syllable - Tarana) and indeed Canada now reside in the continent of euphoria... at least since the 2008 economic crisis.

Minor governmental deficits under control, Bankers with ethics, low unemployment...indeed the Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors both actually competitive...well the NewYorker proclaimed "Canada is cool" in the same fashion no doubt that the "Big Bang Theory" is the most popular show. Boring is "in".

We exported our most "boring cultural spies" to infest the USofA - Wayne Gretzky, Mike Meyers, and Nickleback....our nefarious plan is working.

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Hey Macclan5, what you say about Canada and Winnipeg in particular is most inaccurate!
Firstly, most Molson products are understrength and unsuitable for mainlining. But in the last two decades Canada has sprouted some mighty fine micro-brews that will do the job. And sometimes we import some good off-shore ales like "Wee Angry Scot". [:D]

Secondly, although Winnipeg winters have a deserved wicked reputation (more because of the wind than the temperature), the summers are glorious - warm enough for a T-shirt, cool enough that you can stand to be outside at high-sun. Our a/c bills are considerably lower than sticky climes! [:)] I know because I lived in Southern Ontario for three years, and I got sun-cooked at poolside in Las Vegas in late March!

I would never disparage Winnipeg (Winterpeg).

The city may be cold in winter but the people are intelligent and warm.

The beer debate is worthy of a taste off....PM me if you come this way.

However Sir BB you too have failed to fully disclose the truth of summers. [8D]

The Mosquitoes (in summer) in Winnipeg are about the same size and weight as an F4F Wildcat! And I do mean with drop tanks and a bomb load. [;)]
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

Lest Warsprite and my British acquaintances feel Canada has ignored them ... we have also exported many of our most "boring Canadian Cultural spies" to the UK as well.

Lord Roy Thompson (deceased) was an early mole. Owner of many media properties i.e. the Times BEFORE Rupert.

(now tell me the truth ! Wasn't boring better ??!!)

Mark Carney - your current Governor of the Exchequer / Bank of England.

We tried to infiltrate Conrad Black- Canadian Media Mogul (named to peerage) and criminal in the USA. He was both boring AND 'a bore' which would have fit him in with British Establishment perfectly. Sadly that plan seemed to have fallen flat.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”