Question on Asteroid Mining

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Hermundure

Question on Asteroid Mining

Post by Hermundure »

Hi all,
just a quick question: Is there any downside on asteroid mining in comparison to planet mining?
Like lower output of the materials or finite ressource amounts?

I got this question because in the expansion planner you can hide all asteroids so they SEEM to be not as worthy.
Retreat1970

RE: Question on Asteroid Mining

Post by Retreat1970 »

No downside.

Expansion planner hides because there are so many.
RemoteLeg

Post by RemoteLeg »

The asteroids have just as good resource output as planets - sometimes better. If you're lucky you can find some great ones with over 90 percent density of rare resources such as dilithium crystals. Of course you won't find gasses on asteroids.

I think the filter is available because there can be a lot of asteroids in a system and they could overwhelm your searches.

Don't underestimate asteroids - they can be a great resource.
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

The AI is notorious for spamming mines on every single asteroid in a belt. It looks pretty absurd when you see it.
HerpInYourDerp

Post by HerpInYourDerp »

The occasional size 50 gold asteroid also has a huge tourism bonus, fwiw.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

The other nice thing about asteroid mining is that there is zero chance of the AI ever landing a colony ship on your dilithium crystal planet (20% habitability and they still colonize it, WTF?).
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

.. "WTF".. ?????
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You can colonize any colony prospect even if very low quality, you just have to find it/remove the filter to hide the lousy ones.

If you have a nice mine in non-controlled areas, you have the risk of someone colonizing the very planet that you mine. The colony is theirs, the mine is gone.

As it is impossible to colonize asteroids, a mine there is completely safe from this particular issue. If you ever happen across an ultra rare being mined by others "in the back", it is just to get a colony ship there as fast as possible (as they are never on asteroids).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”