Air defense agaist invasion

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

Air defense agaist invasion

Post by Courtenay »

I am looking at what is the best air defense against a threatened invasion.

The defending side has a lot of NAVs and FTRs. Unfortunately at least a third of the FTRs have range five or less.

The defending side has various options:

1) Leave a plane in the one box of the threatened sea zone (the position of the enemy transports pretty much dictates where the invasion is coming from), and fly out the planes that can reach to the two box, intending to fly out the remaining FTRS the next Axis impulse.

2) Leave a plane in the one box, and fly everything to the one box.

3) Don't leave anything it the one box, accept the invasion (the other sides will do super-combined), and fly everything to the two box the first Axis impluse.

The problem with option one is that the first turn will start with a decided Allied edge to the air combat -- things equalize only after the shorter range Axis FTRs join the fight.

The problem with option two is that it is the one box -- there is a very good chance that there will be no naval combat at all.

The problem with the third option is that the Axis can foresee massive Allied ground strikes against planes on the ground; a fair number of planes might just get flipped on the ground. Indeed, that might happen to some of the short range FTRs that don't fly the first impulse in option one.

So what would you do? Are there any options I have not thought of?

(Allied AA will be massive.)
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Jagdtiger14

RE: Air defense agaist invasion

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Any idea what hex will be invaded? Do you have a photo(s)? Not sure what you have to oppose the invasion with, but from the above info, I would allow the invasion and deal with it after...GS, Blitz, etc... I would think the air to air on land would be more favorable than if it happened with the Axis in the 1 box.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Typically in this situation you have a unit that can initiate search (ideally in the one box but anywhere will do in a pinch), and then you react in everything that can reach the one box. You do need some NAVs in order to get their search bonus. Then hope to get lucky. The invader will be in a higher box so you could roll in the 4 to 6 range and he may still find you with only two or three surprise which may not mean much if you have hordes of short range fighters. (Especially since MWiF does not have Bounce Combat coded.)
Paul
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

The variable would be the map - how are the ground defences and so forth.

To be honest, to put planes at sea could mean to sink, hopefully, something with a lot of luck.
As you say, the enemy has a lot of Ground Strike power - and at this stage; I'd rather keep my FTR force to fend off tactical bombers which would pin down my own bombers and my ground forces to react and contain the invasion; more so than sending them on the sea, having 20% chance to find or a low chance for the W.Allied to find me without being able to avoid the combat - and have to get through their fighters and then their AA.

I do not know the numbers we speak of - but at best I'd send 1 / 2 fighters and an amount of navals at sea and keep the other bulk in reserve. Heck at times I even keep the NAVs to serve as tactical bombers.
A 2 tactical factor NAV can still boost a notional from 2 (Assuming it is ZoC'ed and thus has 2 baseline strength) to 4; making the invasion a bit harder.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

The variable would be the map - how are the ground defences and so forth.

To be honest, to put planes at sea could mean to sink, hopefully, something with a lot of luck.
As you say, the enemy has a lot of Ground Strike power - and at this stage; I'd rather keep my FTR force to fend off tactical bombers which would pin down my own bombers and my ground forces to react and contain the invasion; more so than sending them on the sea, having 20% chance to find or a low chance for the W.Allied to find me without being able to avoid the combat - and have to get through their fighters and then their AA.

I do not know the numbers we speak of - but at best I'd send 1 / 2 fighters and an amount of navals at sea and keep the other bulk in reserve. Heck at times I even keep the NAVs to serve as tactical bombers.
A 2 tactical factor NAV can still boost a notional from 2 (Assuming it is ZoC'ed and thus has 2 baseline strength) to 4; making the invasion a bit harder.
The defenders aren't quite sure where the attack is coming, but there are vacant hexes for the Allies to invade. Even the vacant hexes have anywhere from three to eight defense. The Allies are not planning to attack any hexes with eight defense.

The NAVs are much better NAVs than they are tactical bombers. Putting naval air out to sea is an all of nothing proposition. The air battle looks good for the Axis if they throw everything into it; if they put only half, or even two thirds of their fighters into the sea area, then they can expect to be slaughtered in the result.

Keeping the airforce on the ground in the Allied ground strike phase means that a lot of it will never leave the ground, or at least not this turn.

I think I will go with Paul's suggestion, and put things in the one box. Since there is an Allied CP in the sea area (limited overseas supply), there is a 27% of finding the Americans. (Americans will cancel combat if they out roll the Japanese, thus 27%, not 30%.)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Another consideration is action choice. If it's entirely a US show and they took a Naval (as can happen against Japan) then don't react in and take an air impulse when it's your impulse. If you've been preparing for Armageddon, then likely all your aircraft can make it to the 2-box, which increases your chances by 10% and it may be time to call upon the Divine Wind.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Another consideration is action choice. If it's entirely a US show and they took a Naval (as can happen against Japan) then don't react in and take an air impulse when it's your impulse. If you've been preparing for Armageddon, then likely all your aircraft can make it to the 2-box, which increases your chances by 10% and it may be time to call upon the Divine Wind.
It is the US, but they took a super-combined. The first US impulse the last three turns has been a super-combined, and very likely will be for some time to come.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

An Air Impulse is a powerful choice for the Japanese late in the game, and works well with an HQ on a sea-boundary hex, stacked with other units. If they have managed their FTR force pool well they can fight with some strength in a high box. By that I mean they have to build all the crap in the 1942, etc., force pool (those can help garrison Korea/Manchuria until land threats appear and/or US LND4 begin to threaten the Home Islands). Later in the war they begin to receive new long-range FTRs (Franks) and and should always keep the A6M3s in steady rotation back on to the map.

Sounds like the Allies made a tactical (game system) mistake using a CP to provide supply during an invasion, when the incoming AMPHs/TRS could have done the same, protected by the Fleet much better.

Two CV Plane counters on each CV is pro-Allied, though it appeals to people who think this is a tactical game when it comes to air combat.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

Well it definitely changes if we're speaking of a landing in let's say France where the ground strikes can pin down panzers and such; and another if we speak of landing in let's say Truck where my troops in Rabaul or other isles could certainly not bring forth assistance whatsoever.

If it's Japan - and unless they're specifically landing in Japan proper - yes give sea battle.

Return to “The War Room”