OSX Version

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

mjessen

OSX Version

Post by mjessen »

Just wondering if you guys have any plans for an native OS X version??

Cheers;
'
Michael Jessen
GregN

RE: OSX Version

Post by GregN »

I am running the game on a MBP (mid 2012, OS X 10.11.3) with Wine and it works fine. I even can use Splashtop to play TOTH on my iPad. If you don't know Wine, it's not like using Parallel or as cumbersome as using Bootcamp (and having to own Windows) but an open source way to run Windows programs on OS X without having to have any Windows OS - totally free and legal. It might take an hour to download and install everything necessary, and takes a little learning how to use Terminal to set up, but I wrote a simple Apple Script to launch TOHT from the desktop like an OS X app.

There are step-by-step guides to doing all of this and I'll help anyone who wants to do this. Don't let OS X keep you from enjoying this great game!Image

Attachments
Screen Sho..44.36 AM.jpg
Screen Sho..44.36 AM.jpg (91.53 KiB) Viewed 115 times
chrisleko

Post by chrisleko »

I think it'd take an entire rewrite of the engine, but I could be wrong. I imagine a bit of fiddling with wineskin would be able to get it to work. It might run a bit slow, but I've been really successful getting many games with simpler graphics or 2d graphics to work through wineskin. I've had particular success with the roguelike genre. I'll give it a shot once I get home later and see if I can get it to work.
mjessen

Post by mjessen »

Sweet.....

Will give it a try...
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I just tried downloading wine and making a wrapper and it seems to have worked, which is great! The only problem I can see is, when clicking on units on the map the bottom of the screen that lists the units seems to have the top line of text missing. The red text with the word HEX briefly flashes on screen and disappears. I'm not sure if this would be a problem as the units themselves do show up and allow me to click them. Is that happening to you Greg?
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

ORIGINAL: Banquet

I just tried downloading wine and making a wrapper and it seems to have worked, which is great! The only problem I can see is, when clicking on units on the map the bottom of the screen that lists the units seems to have the top line of text missing. The red text with the word HEX briefly flashes on screen and disappears. I'm not sure if this would be a problem as the units themselves do show up and allow me to click them. Is that happening to you Greg?

I had the same issue when I tried in CrossOver, resolution 2560x1440.

Nevertheless, BootCamp is fine to me

Regards
Former AJE team member
GregN

Post by GregN »

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Yes I've had the same issue but as you said, it works.
MikeMarchant_ssl

Post by MikeMarchant_ssl »

When I had a Mac I ran Parallels and never found an application that didn't work with it. It ran every game I threw at it (including bang up to the minute resource hungry games), MS Visio with very large and complex drawings, and MS Access with a large complicated database and oodles of complex VB.net code. It all ran in Parallels (in Windows) on my Mac faster than it had ever run on my PC - which was probably down to the Mac's SSD.

I would definitely recommend Parallels, although it does require you to own a copy of Windows to install on your Mac.

Best Wishes

Mike

Return to “Tech Support”