Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US HQs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> US HQs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US HQs? - 3/8/2016 12:05:00 AM   
alex_van_d

Which US HQs do you send where and why?

I like to have Nimitz in Pearl (Or Truk or Rabaul once I control them.) because I can then send ships straight there from the West coast on the first impulse of a turn and re-organize them immediately.

But beyond that I struggle with which HQs make the most sense to send where.

Does Mac return to the Philipinnes? or is it better to use his 4 re-org with O-chits in France along with Ike?

What do you do?
Post #: 1
RE: US HQs? - 3/8/2016 12:14:34 AM   
Cohen

McArthur is the real choice imo. In Philippines, especially if paired up with the TERR, can demand an effort from the Japanese to be dislodged.
On the other hand I've seen him nicely used in Pearl Harbour, and Nimitz in Pago Pago.

US almost certainly takes a Naval per turn and to get back in action some cruisers or even carriers that got aborted (or just arrived from the homeland) and have them ready for action speeds up things.
Later on a +2 on ambhibious landings can also make the difference, being brought on via Island Hopping to reorganize ships or land based planes which could get aborted in naval combat.

(in reply to alex_van_d)
Post #: 2
RE: US HQs? - 3/8/2016 12:19:45 AM   
Orm

Nimitz always go to the Pacific.

I prefer to send all the other HQs to Europe. I really like to have MacArthur in England reorganizing sea lift or bombers.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to alex_van_d)
Post #: 3
RE: US HQs? - 3/8/2016 3:02:22 AM   
michaelbaldur

it is a little more complex .. you have to decide where you put your foot down, which of the axis powers that are the strongest.

I often see players taking it light on Japan. simply because the operations are come complex there. longer supplies and transport time.

it is simply more simple to debark units into France and play there. there are good terrain, air superiority and straight forward objectives.

against Japan you will face the opposite tough terrain, alot of planning and losses for little gain. and Japan have a secure home base for its Fleet and planes. of all the major powers, Japan is most likely to survive to the finish

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: US HQs? - 3/8/2016 3:52:06 AM   
paulderynck

Normally I have Nimitz and MacArthur (after reincarnation from a sometimes glorious defense of the Philippines) in the Pacific, all the rest in Europe. On occasion one of the others goes to the Pacific (most likely Clark), but that is rare for me. All the HQAs have no value in the Pacific other than re-org value and it makes much more sense for them to be in Europe where the fact that they are both armored and HQs means they are available to contribute more to many attacks.

Paul

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 5
RE: US HQs? - 3/9/2016 12:46:20 AM   
Jagdtiger14

Pretty much what Paul says.

I like to start Mac in the Philippines (plus TERR) and a supply chit. Send a bunch of subs there.

Nimitz in the Pacific, and unlike Paul...I always send Clark to the Pacific as well.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 6
RE: US HQs? - 3/9/2016 1:56:25 AM   
Cohen

I am not sure why you place the subs there - they'd risk to be oil cut afterwards if they move in boxes which are too high anyhow!
And to have them return to Philippines means to have them "locked" on the spot for a long time to be!

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 7
RE: US HQs? - 3/9/2016 4:48:51 AM   
paulderynck

The early US subs have poor movement and range and although they are expendable - like French subs and CAs that sail into the Baltic - they give the enemy fits of worry - especially Japan - where a lucky surprise split might imperil their economy right off the bat. Of course they are deadliest if the US gets the drop on Japan and manages to DoW first - making their presence there an instigation to Japan to DoW sooner than later, which in the long run, is better for the US.

Paul

(in reply to Cohen)
Post #: 8
RE: US HQs? - 3/9/2016 6:00:57 PM   
Courtenay

I agree the Nimitz goes to Pearl. At least one other HQ should go to the Pacific. I would like for that HQ to be Clark, but can see circumstances where it should be MacArthur. However, if I can, I send him to Europe.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 9
RE: US HQs? - 3/10/2016 3:29:28 PM   
Ostwindflak

So nobody does the historical thing and have Clark in Italy?

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 10
RE: US HQs? - 3/10/2016 4:11:15 PM   
Cohen

I believe by France they just imply Europe theather. Whichever are the axis of advance of the Allies.

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 11
RE: US HQs? - 3/11/2016 4:11:27 AM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

So nobody does the historical thing and have Clark in Italy?

Since I play to win, no.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Ostwindflak)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> US HQs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI