Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modding Tool

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modding Tool Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modding Tool - 10/27/2017 9:12:02 AM   
Sabranan

Ok, small update today because I've been playing with my design templates and finding that if I use image scaling with the "scaled" option, values between 1 and 1.05 prevent me from creating a game with the error "Invalid image scaling factor".

(in reply to AngelScott)
Post #: 391
RE: Modding Tool - 11/1/2017 1:57:10 PM   
Sabranan

Had a bit of a play about with the resources form today, I've come up with a couple improvements which I've published as revision 7.

First, the abundance and prevalence values now display as percentages, making them much more human readable. The labels will display the "%" symbol and the tooltip has been updated so people don't get confused. The "%" symbol will appear and disappear as needed to deal with super luxury resources.

The other thing is that setting the subtype for the resource location is now a bit more intelligent, it'll prevent setting gas type resources to metal asteroids for example. Before it only compared the location type to the location subtype, now it included the resource type as well.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 392
RE: Modding Tool - 11/23/2017 2:52:55 AM   
Sabranan

Roger has done it again and in the new version of his Bacon Mod the mining cap can now be changed for all mining engine types. Therefore, revision 9 of my modding tool now supports editing these values (value 2 of the mining components in the components and component improvements forms) as long as you have the Bacon Mod installed.

Enjoy!

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 393
RE: Modding Tool - 12/4/2017 1:25:52 PM   
Revoluti0nX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

Roger has done it again and in the new version of his Bacon Mod the mining cap can now be changed for all mining engine types. Therefore, revision 9 of my modding tool now supports editing these values (value 2 of the mining components in the components and component improvements forms) as long as you have the Bacon Mod installed.

Enjoy!

Sabranon,

I made an account on this forum just so I could personally thank you for your efforts on this tool.

I'm way too late to the DW:U modding scene, I know the game has been around for many years now, but it was and still is one of the best space 4x games available. Now that I've had my fill of the default stories and campaigns, I want to try my hand at coming up with improvements, and your tool will provide me with a means to simplify the whole process.

Hopefully players like you will keep this place alive and kicking until DW2 is made :)

Much appreciated again.

I sings a dances of wolfs, who smells blood and slays the coward; I sings me a dances of mans, who smells gold and slays his brother.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 394
RE: Modding Tool - 6/6/2018 1:15:24 PM   
Sabranan

Just pushed revision 13 to deal with an issue Das found with certain design templates disappearing.

It also implements the changes made by bacon mod into the tool.

(in reply to Revoluti0nX)
Post #: 395
RE: Modding Tool - 9/7/2018 1:29:06 PM   
rjord1

I have been battling for 3 weeks to completely replace research and components in my mods but when I do this I get errors starting the game and with my mods for distant worlds universe I have had problems trying to fix "Index was outside the bounds of the array" errors as shown below as they do not specify what the problem is.

Have checked my mods with your tool and there are no errors.

With your mod I see you have the option to clear all files and start a mod from scratch. Have tried this but still getting errors.

Does anyone have tips on how to use this tool to create a blank mod that I can build on..... I am simply looking to have new research items and new components and for some reason I cant do this without getting errors as show below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 9/7/2018 1:31:06 PM >

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 396
RE: Modding Tool - 9/7/2018 5:54:51 PM   
Sabranan

That feature will give you a clean fileset to work from but you won't be able to load it in game as-is. The thing is DW:U has certain minimum requirements, but nobody is sure exactly what they are.

I imagine you would need at least 2 races of both standard/pirate and at least 2 race families along with the appropriate bias files. Probably would need 1 of each type of component so ships can be designed by the AI. No idea how small the research tree can be, but putting a couple in each of the three categories certainly wouldn't hurt. You'd have to have at least 1 fuel type of resource, probably a good idea to have one of each of mineral/gas/luxury with the gas being the fuel.

That's all just off the top of my head but no doubt there are other basics the game just wont load without too.

(in reply to rjord1)
Post #: 397
RE: Modding Tool - 9/7/2018 8:37:20 PM   
rjord1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabranan

That feature will give you a clean fileset to work from but you won't be able to load it in game as-is. The thing is DW:U has certain minimum requirements, but nobody is sure exactly what they are.

I imagine you would need at least 2 races of both standard/pirate and at least 2 race families along with the appropriate bias files. Probably would need 1 of each type of component so ships can be designed by the AI. No idea how small the research tree can be, but putting a couple in each of the three categories certainly wouldn't hurt. You'd have to have at least 1 fuel type of resource, probably a good idea to have one of each of mineral/gas/luxury with the gas being the fuel.

That's all just off the top of my head but no doubt there are other basics the game just wont load without too.

Thanks for the reply..... finding the minimum requirements is what I am struggling with .
When I work it out I will post the mod to the forum which will make it easier for other modders to start from scratch.

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 398
RE: Modding Tool - 10/3/2018 8:03:52 PM   
Sabranan

Little update today to change the update path to a dynamic location. Won't make any difference in terms of functionality, but it will enable me to easily reset it should I ever lose my static IP address.

(in reply to rjord1)
Post #: 399
RE: Modding Tool - 11/7/2018 11:45:26 PM   
Sabranan

I’ve pushed revision 19 which includes a redundant update test for the tool. I’ve noticed a lot of logs coming through for version 1.1.0.0 (back then there was a bug which tended to send logs regardless of whether you wanted to or not), which means that updates are not working properly for a fair few people. I suspect this is probably down to over-aggressive firewalls stopping the ClickOnce updates.

I’ve attached the latest revision to the OP so if this applies to you then you can update manually, which you really should, because a lot of bugs have been squished over the last 18 versions!

(in reply to Sabranan)
Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modding Tool Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 13 [14]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI