Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using modified eqp in a scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Using modified eqp in a scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 2:44:29 AM   
Notaberliner

This may be a stupid question but how does one utilize a modified equipment database when creating a scenario from scratch?
Post #: 1
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 7:30:49 AM   
sPzAbt653

Name the modified equipment file 'ScenarioName.eqp' and place it in the scenario specific folder in the Graphics directory. If there is no specific folder in the Graphics directory, create one.

The eqp file and graphics folder must have the EXACT same name as the scenario in order to find it and use it.

(in reply to Notaberliner)
Post #: 2
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 12:20:27 PM   
Notaberliner

Must one create the scenario itself before screwing with the eqp, or can the scenario be created and then saved immediately under the name used by the folder in the eqp? I did the later (having done a copy/paste of each of the file and folder names to ensure that they are exactly the same ), and am ultimately wondering if retroactively creating the scenario screwed it up.

Alternately is it a problem with the .sce being mislocated, for that matter does the .sce even need to be somewhere specific?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 4:31:03 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Must one create the scenario itself before screwing with the eqp

No.

quote:

does the .sce even need to be somewhere specific?

No.

Post #: 4
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 5:14:34 PM   
Notaberliner

Okay, I'll guess I'll check everything out then, and see where I screwed up.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 5
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 5:23:57 PM   
sPzAbt653

Sometimes it is a pain in the ass until the obvious hits you. I've been doing this for years and still get it wrong on occasion. When you open the scenario, the program checks the Graphics Folder for a scenario specific folder, and if there is one it uses it, and if there is an .eqp file in it that has the same name, it uses it. Therefore, the Graphics Folder and .eqp file names must be the same. Exactly.

If you don't solve it soon, start posting screen shots here so we can see what is going on there. If that fails get a free Skype account and I can probably talk/walk you through it.

Post #: 6
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 5:35:19 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Notaberliner

Okay, I'll guess I'll check everything out then, and see where I screwed up.

I guess this needs to be asked. Are you getting an error message? In what way do you think you have 'screwed up'?

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

Post #: 7
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 9:23:56 PM   
Notaberliner

No it's not giving me an error message, I'm just getting the bog standard equipment database when I try to use the force editor whilst attempting to create a scenario using the modified eqp. I might have changed a value or moving something into the wrong place That being said I'm gonna be away from my TOAW bearing machine until weekend's end so I can't work on the scenario until I get back. I'll keep you posted in case TOAW continues to not register the existence of the database or **** really hits the fan.

< Message edited by Notaberliner -- 2/18/2016 10:33:08 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 8
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/18/2016 11:51:22 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

attempting to create a scenario using the modified eqp

Create the scenario first - you need only open the editor and save the 'blank' scenario. Then close it and reopen it, THEN it will read the custom eqp file. If that makes sense.

Post #: 9
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/19/2016 1:27:20 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

attempting to create a scenario using the modified eqp

Create the scenario first - you need only open the editor and save the 'blank' scenario. Then close it and reopen it, THEN it will read the custom eqp file. If that makes sense.

The logic behind this is, the program does not know what database to use before you name and save your scenario so it uses the standard one. After you save it the game then knows what database name to search for and uses your modified one.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

"Getting back to reality...I'll only go as a tourist!"

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/27/2016 1:27:00 AM   
Notaberliner

Alright, it is continuing to not recognize the database. I apologize for the silly name, normally I don't show these files except among a tight group of friends. As for the process I followed:

Step 1) Open Scenario Editor
Step 2) Create Scenario (.sce) file by saving the blank scenario
Step 3) Close Scenario
Step 4) Close TOAW
Step 5) Create Equipment Database (.eqp) file
Step 6) Create Scenario Folder in Graphics folder
Step 7) Move .eqp file into Scenario Folder
Step 8) Open TOAW again
Step 9) Open Scenario Editor
Step 10) Open Scenario File

Due to the silly rules of the forum I cannot put up screenshots in this post, but I may be able to PM them or email them to anybody whose interest in helping me solve the problem.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 11
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/27/2016 4:29:02 AM   
sPzAbt653

You may e-mail me. My address is found by clicking on my name at left <<<.

Post #: 12
RE: Using modified eqp in a scenario - 2/27/2016 6:11:42 PM   
ogar

@Notaberliner,

I hope Steve can help you untangle this. It is likely some small, foolish duplication of name or missing character that is causing the engine to default to the standard .eqp.

FWIW, please keep working at your scenario. Most of us who've designed with a custom .eqp have had horrendous problems at some point or the other. In my early days, I've only been rescued by the good will and patience of more experienced designers, and the cause was often a minor inconsistency magnified by my frustration.

And one of my worst failings when I had problems with an .eqp, was my not recognizing when I actually had everything working correctly and I mistook the custom .eqp for the standard file. Double mega-D'oh ! I now modify the label for MP Squad to read something like "MP Squad XYZver123" where XYZ is an abbreviated scenaio name, and 123 is the version number. Now all I have to do to check, is to open the the Inventory Screen when testing the game.

Best of luck.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Using modified eqp in a scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI