Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions from a noob

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions from a noob Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions from... - 2/5/2016 8:51:20 AM   
Hoggorm

Hi,

I'm playing my first scenario Road to Leningrad after following the Operational Boot Camp tutorial.

I am now at the Leningrad border and want to take the city. But how should I do this most effectively? I see there are garrison units in the city with a defense value of 75.

Should I bomb the city first? If so - what should I bomb for best efficiency?
Should I bring tanks? Or is it best to let the infantry do the job?
How can I make sure that most support units participate in the attack? (I might be doing something wrong here... Sometimes there are lots of support units (howitzers etc.) joining, other times nothing...)
Should I attack with as many units as possible in a deliberate attack, or is there an optimal maximum?
If the first deliberate attack fails and the soviets hold the city, what should I do now? Should I wait for the next turn or continue with hasty attacks?
I have encircled the city and the hexes around it for a few turns but it does not appear as if they lack supplies. Is this because they get their supplies from the city hex itself or perhaps via boats over the lake Ladoga?

Finally a question not regarding Leningrad:

- As I approach an encircled HQ or airfield unit it "jumps" over my encirclement and to the soviet safe side. Am I doing something wrong here? Is my encirclement not "big" enough? Can he HQ units no be destroyed?

Thank you for all help.
Post #: 1
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 12:02:35 PM   
loki100

some small hints.

isolation is a good idea, the port where the Neva starts (on Lake Ladoga) is easier to take than Leningrad. Get your best infantry, best infantry commanders and stuff the attacking corps and divisions full of sappers and very heavy artillery. The alternative is to take all the ports on the east shore of Lake Ladoga. Either will isolate Leningrad, making the final capture much easier.

don't use tanks in urban hexes or vs forts > level 3 (if you can help it), they suffer a combat penalty

deciding whether to attack again or not is part of learning WiTE, its very situational. If you knocked down the fort level (which is what all those engineers and heavy guns did), it can be a good idea. But remember your side is more fatigued too. If you lost due to a 'reserve-reaction' it might be worth risking it again. Otherwise, I'd tend to back off.

HQs and airbases disappear if you move next to them, but take heavy losses (which you often don't see). Damaged planes are lost, you capture supply etc and the support units in a HQ will take losses.

AARs:
WiTE: The Great Patriotic War; A Grey Steppe Eagle
WiTW: Once Upon a Time (somewhere)in the West; Fischia il vento; (oh) For a few Panzers More; XXX Corps Diary
Others at AGEOD

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 2
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 12:46:46 PM   
Hoggorm

Thank you very much for advice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

... and stuff the attacking corps and divisions full of sappers and very heavy artillery.

How do I do this exactly?

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 3
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 3:25:38 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoggorm

quote:

... and stuff the attacking corps and divisions full of sappers and very heavy artillery.

The standard approach is to identify two of the infantry corps and use your admin pts to re-assign all the key support units to them, this may take a few turns as you may need to send SUs back up to OKH and then down to corps you want to use. In addition, you can attach things like combat engineers, stugs (not standard artillery) to the divisions directly. Then find your very best infantry commanders and make sure they are in charge of both the assault corps and the army that controls them (that will help to ensure that all the relevant commitment tests are passed).

Also review your infantry divisions, higher morale ones have real advantages so again it is worth paying the admin cost to re-assign so the very best are in the right place.

in the campaign, once you have used this battering ram on Leningrad, send it to Moscow (if there is time) or use to open up the Soviet defensive lines for your Pzrs in 1942

AARs:
WiTE: The Great Patriotic War; A Grey Steppe Eagle
WiTW: Once Upon a Time (somewhere)in the West; Fischia il vento; (oh) For a few Panzers More; XXX Corps Diary
Others at AGEOD

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 4
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 4:16:02 PM   
charlie0311

Hi,

1) Loki is one of the "old hats"

2) Many forum entries on this and related topics, look there.

3) Welcome

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 6:27:04 PM   
Revthought

You need to surround the city and cut it off before storming it. There are three ports behind Leningrad you need to take before storming the city.

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 6
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 6:35:05 PM   
Revthought

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoggorm

quote:

And now you're down the rabbit hole. :D You need to move support units from one HQ to another. This costs 1 AP per SU. There are a couple of strategies you can use to "find" all of the SUs. One involves setting your corps to 1 SU, and the others abov the corp level to 0, which will cause the SUs to gravitat up the chain of command until they are all in one place (OKH); however, this usually takes a couple turns where you'll have to fight with low unit support. The other strategy is literally clicking every HQ then assigning their SUs where you want them.

Keep in mind when you've transferred the SU to the HQ you want, you need to lock that HQ or they could get re-assigned in the logistics phase. Also remember some SUs can be attached to units directly. For instance it's always a good idea in 1941 to assign pioneers and support to your Panzers who will often be fighting outside HQ range.

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 7
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 8:20:28 PM   
Hoggorm

Thank you all for advice and help!

I have not fully understood what is happening when assigning support units at a HQ. Following the tutorial I've set all HQs to the same amount of units they have below them. A Corps with three divisions has three SU as far as I can understand. An Army with two corps has two SU units assigned (?)...

I'll try to play around a little bit with it :)

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 8
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 8:46:11 PM   
Revthought

The HQs assign SUs to individual units during combat

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 9
RE: Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions ... - 2/5/2016 9:06:33 PM   
Pelton

Great game you love it.

If you ever want to do small games HvH I have played allot vs newbies

We can do the server or PBEM.

PBEM is best as we can chit chat about what your doing right or wrong.

WitE-----30-4-9
GHC WitW-15-1-0

Former WitW Beta-tester and Dev
WitE Development 1.06 to present 1.08.08 testing

(in reply to Revthought)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Road to Leningrad "tutorial" - Questions from a noob Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI