Returning after a long break

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Michael T

Returning after a long break

Post by Michael T »

After a long hiatus from WITE of around 18 months I am returning to the fold. I haven't played a game since the last incarnation of 1.07. No experience of 1.08 and beyond.

If a veteran who was around 18 months ago till now could make comment on the questions below it would be appreciated.

1. Is the Iron wall dead? On the face of it the reduced 41a TOE, NM of 45 from July on and weaker fort lines seem to indicate this may be the case. Any other relevant change I have missed?

2. Has the removal of a FBD hurt rail conversion a lot?

3. Partisans attacking garrisoned rail hexes, has this resulted in many more attacks?

I have read about the changes to HQBU and Air Re-fueling. No need to comment on those.

Anything else major I should check?
Peltonx

RE: Returning after a long break

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

After a long hiatus from WITE of around 18 months I am returning to the fold. I haven't played a game since the last incarnation of 1.07. No experience of 1.08 and beyond.

If a veteran who was around 18 months ago till now could make comment on the questions below it would be appreciated.

1. Is the Iron wall dead? On the face of it the reduced 41a TOE, NM of 45 from July on and weaker fort lines
seem to indicate this may be the case. Any other relevant change I have missed?

2. Has the removal of a FBD hurt rail conversion a lot?

3. Partisans attacking garrisoned rail hexes, has this resulted in many more attacks?

I have read about the changes to HQBU and Air Re-fueling. No need to comment on those.

Anything else major I should check?

2. no just have to go about it a little different and 3 no effect so far in all my games. They don't really start hitting them until 42, but by then you should have several loops in system.
I put 10 con units under OKH,AGC and AGS and move them forward and they complete loops on there own.

1. Its dead and has been from .07.

Railing stuff around as Russia is ALLOT harder now as at one time allot of ground elements were not counted.
+ heavy means as much as arm pts.

So railing units all of the place is much costlier and same for industry. Defending Leningrad very hard now as moving to much from south will cost allot more industry.

Random weather was screwed up, but gets some love so now it seems more realistic and not a game killer for Germany .08

Also some swapping issues that killed German CV starting in late 42 has been fixed.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Thanks. I like the cap on FZ'z too. I really hated that spam.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Michael, nice to see you back, I agree with all of Pelton's points except for the railway unit one. If you don't get it exactly right you can end up with your Panzers sitting just outside D & Z towns unable to move for lack of fuel. Air supply has changed considerably as well which makes it harder for the German to keep his Tanks with enough fuel to keep offensive operations going, Although both Pelton & Sillyflower seem to manage it with out to much trouble so it can be done. If you are planning to re dip your toe (so to speak) back into the WitE pond, you might choose to wait until the latest patch (1.08.08) comes out as that should iron out the remaining fixable bugs.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

wait until the latest patch (1.08.08)

Certainly, and thanks for the added info.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

wait until the latest patch (1.08.08)

Certainly, and thanks for the added info.

yes fuel drops are different, but if you look at AAR's all the same stuff is still possible.

Just takes a little more tlc in the south.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

1.Is the Iron wall dead? YES and it's fun! Leningrad has fallen in all my past 1.07 games

2.Has the removal of a FBD hurt rail conversion a lot? NO but the main german axe of progress is now Romania/D-Z/ Stalino

3.Partisans attacking garrisoned rail hexes, has this resulted in many more attacks? I didn't noticed it

Something new? I think that the new NM rule for russian in 1942 slightly favors the russian side. Previous rule was too much in favor of the german. But as you know, WITE is a snowball game....

Nice to see you back! Your abitilty to keep momentum as german always impressed me [:)]
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

It's great the wall is gone and the Soviet has to use said brain. But I fear the wall may return. I hope not. We shall see.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

It's great the wall is gone and the Soviet has to use said brain. But I fear the wall may return. I hope not. We shall see.

Did you really have to return?

I think your tring to figure out which side to play at this point.

and who will be your first victim.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”