Some simple questions about the Japanese economy

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

morejeffs

Some simple questions about the Japanese economy

Post by morejeffs »

Assuming Scen 1 or equivalents.
A. How long can the J economy ignore not taking Palemburg? When would it crash? And before that...How long would it be before players change their production plans in worry?
B. Are resources every a bottle neck? Are supplies a bottle neck? Or is just fuel/oil?

Just trying to understand the misery of a non boosted Japanese economy.
that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
Encircled

RE: Some simple questions about the Japanese economy

Post by Encircled »

A. It all depends on how keen you are on your production. If you haven't got it (and the question is why the hell not? :-))then you are going to have to do some serious belt tightening if you want the game to last longer than a year. I suspect (though haven't seen it) that you'd start to collapse after that. Pax or others would know for sure.

B. Not if set up your convoys properly. You only really start to struggle when you get cut off from the DEI
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: morejeffs

A. How long can the J economy ignore not taking Palemburg? When would it crash? And before that...How long would it be before players change their production plans in worry?

There is absolutely no simple answer to this question. It depends so much on whether the Japanese player is a really strong (Grandmaster level) or just an average player. Also depends on whether he is focussed on implementing a good strategic plan or is one of the typical Japanese payers who mistakes irrelevant pyrotechnic tactical forays for proper strategy.

A weak player will need Palembang within 3-4 months. A grandmaster level player can survive until mid 1943 without capturing Palembang. The other oilfields captured in a timely manner will more than suffice. This requires proper use of the navy which is not to sail continuously in search of tactical pyrotechnic opportunities which provide no lasting strategic benefit. It also means knowing what you are doing with Japanese industry and not being seduced by the potential new toys.

B. Are resources every a bottle neck? Are supplies a bottle neck? Or is just fuel/oil?

Supplies are always a bottleneck. More specifically getting supplies, fuel and oil to the correct places is usually the problem. This game is about logistics, not the pyrotechnic actions which so many players indulge in. Managing the demand curve, not the supply curve, is central to playing Japan well.

Alfred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

There is nothing simple about the Japanese economy. As Alfred has pointed out the needs are driven by your strategy and your use of your forces, and decisions about the economy require at least a fuzzy crystal ball picture of how you expect the war to unfold.

That said, a number of players have posted very good aids to the new IJ player such as the economy flow chart, and starting (turn 1) settings for every unit. Search the forum War Room to find these nuggets, or look for the thread listing all the references for new players.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Love that comment 'pyrotechnic tactical forays' a gem!

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
RichardAckermann

Post by RichardAckermann »

Yea, Alfred is so very right. Cruising around for killing ships of minor importance can leave you dry at the worst possible moment.

I was playing on the very hard AI level a long time plus it's my first game ever and that slowed my progress down due to extreme losses in all kinds of combat. Took me 8 months to capture singapore and palembang. And still I do not get that fuel because of the allied aircraft from Java.
I saved HI and fuel by turning off armament production if I had over 30K reserve. Some other things, too. Since I'm playing vs the AI, I do not have serious problems. The AI does not seem to exploit the situation.

How long a japanese can make it with low fuel also depends on the attrition you can do to him. Make him move his fleet around.

Resources are less a bottleneck to me. They are more abundant and can be moved by a lot of ships.
They can also be ferried over from korea or china where passage is considerably safer than from DEI all the way up north.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

To me, as the Japanese player, capturing Palembang in prime condition is a top priority... to me, even more important than Singapore. Singapore will fall eventually (as will the PI) but getting Palembang without disruption is a real feather in the economic cap (so to speak). From there you can have your own "pyrotechnic" display!
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Resources are hardly a problem, Korea+Hokkaido+Sakhalin can meet all the needs on their own given the shipment.
Purely from industrial balance, you have 355 days worth of oil and 340 days worth of fuel in Home Islands in Stock 1. But fuel can run out considerably faster of you run around a lot with your big combat ships.

Other than that, always listen to Alfred
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

There is absolutely no simple answer to this question. It depends so much on whether the Japanese player is a really strong (Grandmaster level) or just an average player. Also depends on whether he is focussed on implementing a good strategic plan or is one of the typical Japanese payers who mistakes irrelevant pyrotechnic tactical forays for proper strategy.

A weak player will need Palembang within 3-4 months. A grandmaster level player can survive until mid 1943 without capturing Palembang. The other oilfields captured in a timely manner will more than suffice. This requires proper use of the navy which is not to sail continuously in search of tactical pyrotechnic opportunities which provide no lasting strategic benefit. It also means knowing what you are doing with Japanese industry and not being seduced by the potential new toys.

Supplies are always a bottleneck. More specifically getting supplies, fuel and oil to the correct places is usually the problem. This game is about logistics, not the pyrotechnic actions which so many players indulge in. Managing the demand curve, not the supply curve, is central to playing Japan well.

Alfred

Alfred-

Now that's what I'm talking about; experienced, sage advice.

I know I am relatively inexperienced, but from day one in reading AARs I thought to myself, "The Japanese just extend themselves too far for little gain and major headaches.

Best Regards,

-Terry

P.S. Of course though, it sure is fun reading AARs wherein the Japanese just go nuts; like wanting all of Australia or Canada.
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
morejeffs

Post by morejeffs »

Thank you all for your answers and insight!
that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

To me, as the Japanese player, capturing Palembang in prime condition is a top priority... to me, even more important than Singapore. Singapore will fall eventually (as will the PI) but getting Palembang without disruption is a real feather in the economic cap (so to speak). From there you can have your own "pyrotechnic" display!
+1
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Alfred
Alfred's summary is correct, but few IJ players will ever leave Palembang alone for long. Having Palembang in hand early gives you far more tactical and strategic freedom. And as Hal said, getting it relatively undestroyed is crucial. You do NOT want to expend 1M supply rebuilding those oilfields.

Most experienced IJ players want to secure Palembang early, a major target for Jan '42.
Pax
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Alfred
Alfred's summary is correct, but few IJ players will ever leave Palembang alone for long. Having Palembang in hand early gives you far more tactical and strategic freedom. And as Hal said, getting it relatively undestroyed is crucial. You do NOT want to expend 1M supply rebuilding those oilfields.

Most experienced IJ players want to secure Palembang early, a major target for Jan '42.

I have a short question, so the Allied engs will tear down those fields correct ? Which means the earlier you get there the less destruction they may have caused. But also a hard combat in that hex will destroy industry. I needed to check, but Singapore was totally destryoed when I captured it and Palembang partly. Mili & Soerabaya were also damaged quite a lot. But therefore ZERO damage at Balikpapan & the neighbour town with also an oilfield.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Yes, the longer you give an allied player to hold on to Palembang, the more dangerous it is for you.

The more engineers he can get to it, the more damage the facilities can take when you capture it.

Oh, and I think a shock attack is a big no no as well
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Yes, the longer you give an allied player to hold on to Palembang, the more dangerous it is for you.

The more engineers he can get to it, the more damage the facilities can take when you capture it.

Oh, and I think a shock attack is a big no no as well

Yup, I learned that a little bit late, but vs. AI not so critical. However it is very costly both in time and supply to build up all the destroyed stuff. So in a new game I would certainly risk more and be faster in taking these locations. Also I play a scen which has no supply production by refs... which I also noted a bit late. But you can adapt, needs more shipping of course.
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Facility damage - No shock attack, less Allied engineers help, but there is still a large random factor involved.

Palembang - If you can isolate Palembang so the Allies can't sit there and load up oil into tankers that you then sink, you can wait for a while to take it, probably late 42 early 43 assuming you have oil/fuel from other places coming in.

Resources being a bottleneck - They are not usually, however you can take a heavy LI strategy which will make resources more important and oil/fuel less important. Since it is easier to pull resources from Korea via the magic coast road, one could consider this approach as a way to extend supply production in the late war. However, it is a nuanced debate and it also tends to rely on your strategic plans. Going to India for example provides tremendous amounts of resources, whereas Australia not so much (to my knowledge).

No matter what, Alfred is spot on about managing the demand. Every month your fleet sits in port doing nothing is actually a big economic victory for you, assuming the Allies aren't making a mess things in the Empire.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

No matter what, Alfred is spot on about managing the demand. Every month your fleet sits in port doing nothing is actually a big economic victory for you, assuming the Allies aren't making a mess things in the Empire.

This is true, big CVs the older BBs and Yamato eat a lot. I had sitting them in port for a while but AlliedS offensive ended this "peace" time for now for them. Rabaul needs lots of fuel :(
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

The biggest drag is the port level at Palembang and Balikpapan being capped to mediocre levels.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

The biggest drag is the port level at Palembang and Balikpapan being capped to mediocre levels.

It is annoying a lot of ship shuffling to and from port to get a size that can be docked [:(]
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

ORIGINAL: Mundy

It is annoying a lot of ship shuffling to and from port to get a size that can be docked [:(]

CS convoys are great for this stuff. Do you calculations on the the best ship sizes, and set you TFs to CS and away they go.

Also, for Palembang, be sure to drop a bunch of those shipping engineer units in there. They help the tankers load up faster. Unless those units are only in DBB - I can't recall since it has been a while since I played stock.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Return to “The War Room”