Pirate bases

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Chris21wen

Pirate bases

Post by Chris21wen »

What's the level that pirate bases stop re-spawning?
kavil

RE: Pirate bases

Post by kavil »

in the setting menu you set either it they respawn or not. you can completely eradicate pirates in game if you chose not to respawn them.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: kavil

in the setting menu you set either it they respawn or not. you can completely eradicate pirates in game if you chose not to respawn them.

I know that. I want to know what the pirate percentage level is at a base that will prevent pirate bases re-spawning.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Do you mean the Hidden Pirate Bases, Hidden Pirate Fortresses, and Criminal Networks? Because those don't respawn on their own; pirate factions have to build those, and each one costs some amount of money. Pirate influence at a colony needs to be at least 50% to build a Hidden Pirate Base and 100% to build a Hidden Pirate Fortress or Criminal Network, though this really doesn't matter for a standard empire player as the pirate influence values are not visible anywhere in the game to standard empire players (well, I think you can technically open up the editor, double-click a colony, and see the influence of each pirate faction that has influence on that colony that way, but that's not within the scope of standard gameplay). Note that those influence values are required at the start of construction but do not, if my memory is correct, have to be maintained during construction, and will be enforced as minimum influence values regardless of what else the pirates are doing around the colony from the time the pirate facility is completed to the time it is destroyed (i.e. if you build a Hidden Pirate Fortress on a colony, your pirate faction will always have 100% influence on that colony until your fortress is destroyed, even if no ship or station of yours is ever within influence-generating range of the colony again).
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Your wrong they do re-spawn. I'm not talking about the initial build. If you take over a planet and it has these 'hidden' pirate base on it the planet will also have a certain level of pirate influence. This is visible in colonies population screen. Destroying the base does not necessarily eradicate pirate influence, just reduce it. If it does not go down far enough the pirates will start to rebuild their base hence the term re-spawn. If it goes down below a certain level the bases do not. It is this level I'm interested in which I think is 10%.
Guardian54

Post by Guardian54 »

You need to read what people tell you more carefully.

They stop rebuilding if their influence drops under 50% is what he told you.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Guardian54

You need to read what people tell you more carefully.

They stop rebuilding if their influence drops under 50% is what he told you.

If that is the case I'm playing a different game. Although I'm not in a game position to prove it I'm 99% sure that I had pirates rebuild when their influence was considerable less than 50%. If I've been Hallucinating than I apologise but the next time I come across the situation I'll certainly repost.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Unless you're playing a pirate faction, pirate influence levels are not visible, at least not without opening up the game editor. Your assertion that pirate factions can build Hidden Pirate Bases with less than 50% influence at a planet if they're rebuilding rather than starting a completely new facility is not in agreement with my experience from playing a pirate faction and watching what the other pirate factions are doing. I have never seen a computer-controlled pirate faction initiate construction on a Hidden Pirate Base at a planet with less than the minimum 50% influence required by player-controlled pirate factions whether or not there had been a base there previously, nor have I ever seen a colony with a Hidden Pirate Base under construction that had an influence level low enough to make it appear to me unlikely for pirate influence to have been at or over 50% before construction was initiated. I therefore question your assertion that the computer-controlled pirates are capable of building facilities at colonies with low influence levels, and would suggest that you may have confused corruption levels (which are visible to a player controlling a standard empire) with pirate influence levels (which are not visible to a player controlling a standard empire and do not influence any visible statistic in a manner which makes it easy to back out what the pirate influence levels are or how much influence is controlled by the pirate faction with the greatest amount of influence at the colony from visible information, aside from the few known set points of pirate influence >=50% when construction of Hidden Pirate Bases is initiated and for as long as a completed Hidden Pirate Base exists on the colony, and of pirate influence = 100% when construction of a Hidden Pirate Fortress or Criminal Network is initiated and for as long as a completed Hidden Pirate Fortress exists on the colony).
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

It's time to eat humble pie. I misread the population screen and because I did not currently have any colonies with a pirate base could not confirm, or not in this case, what it said. It refers to pirate corruption levels and not influence. Again I apologise.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

No worries; things like that happen to everyone. I will point out though that the corruption listed in the planet information does not only include corruption due to pirate influence; distance from the nearest regional capital or from the empire's capital (certainly whichever is closer, and maybe a combination of both) contributes to corruption levels at a colony regardless of pirate influence.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Let's say that there is a planet with a Pirate Fortress on it. What you're not seeing is the 100% influence that it locks in. If your ground troops destroy that facility then the influence will drop considerably but it might still remain over 50%, which is all that is needed for a Pirate Base. Which means the AI pirates will immediately begin building a Pirate Base right after losing their Fortress, because the AI is stupid that way.

Also keep in mind that when you're playing as an Empire, the influence gain for invisible "neutral" pirate smugglers actually works (which is ironic because if you play as a pirate it basically does nothing), so they might still be gaining influence without you even noticing it.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”