Dual Monitors

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sPzAbt653

Dual Monitors

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Anyone that uses Dual Monitors - Is this a satisfactory setup, or would you rather have two separate computers ?

My 2nd computer has been fritzing lately so I've been contemplating replacing it, but there is also the option of using two monitors for the main computer. Having no experience with this, I thought I would ask the opinion of those here.
Erik Rutins

RE: Dual Monitors

Post by Erik Rutins »

I really regret not having two monitors on my present system (due to physical space limitations) as having two on one computer was a significant productivity and gaming enhancement. I would definitely recommend if if your system/card can support it. Of course, if you find value in having two computers (for LAN multiplayer games or what have you) it's in no way a replacement for that, but it's a surprisingly nice upgrade for a single system.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

In my experience for gaming, it only works "ok" if the monitors are the same resolution and refresh rate. I did not like dual monitors due to the break in the middle. I suppose triple monitors would fix that, but then I do not have the room or want the expense. Some games do not use exclusive fullscreen for one monitor, so your cursor will go outside of the game screen and onto the other monitor.

For non-gaming tasks, having the same monitor does not matter as much, and you cannot really go wrong. Although I tried it with a 144hz refresh rate monitor and a 60hz refresh rate monitor, and found a few interesting bugs. I ended up going with a bigger main monitor (ultrawide 21:9) instead of two monitors because I did not care for two monitors and the issues.

At work (programmer), I always use two monitors. It's invaluable having one screen running the app, and the other screen with the debugger or some notes or whatever.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

I've been using dual monitors for years. It works great.
I can have my game windowed in one monitor, a couple of different editors open in the other monitor, it makes the work-flow that much easier.
FWIW my #1 Monitor is 1680x1050, #2 is 1280x1024. It works just fine.

HTH

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

In my experience for gaming, it only works "ok" if the monitors are the same resolution and refresh rate. I did not like dual monitors due to the break in the middle. I suppose triple monitors would fix that, but then I do not have the room or want the expense. Some games do not use exclusive fullscreen for one monitor, so your cursor will go outside of the game screen and onto the other monitor.

For non-gaming tasks, having the same monitor does not matter as much, and you cannot really go wrong. Although I tried it with a 144hz refresh rate monitor and a 60hz refresh rate monitor, and found a few interesting bugs. I ended up going with a bigger main monitor (ultrawide 21:9) instead of two monitors because I did not care for two monitors and the issues.

At work (programmer), I always use two monitors. It's invaluable having one screen running the app, and the other screen with the debugger or some notes or whatever.

For work as an accountant, having two monitors is invaluable. You can have the accounting system open on one screen and Excel or anything else on the other screen. Sometimes I have Excel running on both monitors separately to move back and forth seamlessly between the two.

I could not go back to one monitor now, even if I wanted to. I guess if they forced me to I would, but they can't! I won't!!

I'd love having two monitors at home.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I have two monitors great for some apps but not for others. The last time I bought a graphics card, I looked for a card that supported multiple monitors. I play CMANO duel monitors are great for this game.
Formerly Goodwood

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I would definitely recommend if if your system/card can support it.

Found out it doesn't, so that is one strike. I suppose a new card is cheaper than a new computer [:)]
Of course, if you find value in having two computers (for LAN multiplayer games or what have you)

Back in the 90's it was real productive to have two computers for my job due to software limitations, but that has become a non issue since around 2000. Since then I've kept the two computers for backup and convenience. However, when I started working on scenarios for TOAW around 2005, I found having two computers [with two monitors] was a great luxury.

Thinking it over and reading these comments, it seems like having two computers would outweigh whatever limitations there are with one computer and dual monitors, plus the bonus of having a backup for when one takes a dive. Thanks for the helpful comments guys.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I really regret not having two monitors on my present system (due to physical space limitations)

Certainly Matrix can provide you a larger desk ? Or is the problem your office is in a closet space ? [;)]
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I've got two monitors, both 24" both with a 1920x1080 resolution. The newer one's better though due to better backlight so what I do typically I have the game I am playing on the left monitor and then the manual / browser / what not I want to have for support on the right monitor.

It works really nicely, but I guess ultimately you'd want two similar monitors as if they differ like mine it gets a bit distracting.

Then again, outside playing where I guess I am mostly using the one monitor, with graphics work I could not have it any other way. There's never enough screen estate for graphics work. Quite often I have a graphics file open stretched over both monitors for ultimate detail and access to various areas.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works

Return to “General Discussion”