Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Development

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Development Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Development - 1/5/2016 5:55:49 PM   
Rasputitsa

Any further development likely ?

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me
Post #: 1
RE: Development - 1/12/2016 5:09:21 PM   
DonCzirr

I still have this installed on my PC and would like to finish at some point.

But I think these guys have moved onto greener pastures?

It's a shame too as they came so close.

Anyone know what they're up to?

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

http://www.facebook.com/KurtvonKnispel

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 2
RE: Development - 4/5/2016 11:20:30 PM   
Mantis

I agree.

The 'perfect' grand strategic WWII game does not exist. But I believe this to be the closest anyone has ever come. I'd obviously love to see further development, but as that's probably not realistic my dream is for one last patch, addressing but a single problem. Correcting the save game/forces maint. cost bug. If this was fixed, at least you could save a game and reload it. (The way it is now, it's not even worth continuing if you are Germany or Russia etc).

As it stands now, when I play I have to be committed to leaving my PC on for the 3 weeks it might take me to finish a game. (Don't get me started on game or PC crashes during that time...)

What would be great is if we could do a mini kickstarter kind of thing and raise enough $ to make a quick patch a viable proposition, so that it would at least be productive for them to consider doing the work. Barring that, would anyone in the community have the knowledge to advise on whether modding would be possible?

I'd hate to see this game just fade away. TOAW (The Operational Art of War) had a rabid fanbase that just would not let that game die. It would be great if there was enough interest for us to move (somewhat) forward. (Or at the very least fix the one issue so the game can be considered 'reload-able').

< Message edited by Mantis -- 4/13/2016 10:39:40 PM >

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 3
RE: Development - 4/13/2016 3:42:34 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mantis

What would be great is if we could do a mini kickstarter kind of thing and raise enough $ to make a quick patch a viable proposition, so that it would at least be productive for them to consider doing the work. Barring that, would anyone in the community have the knowledge to advise on whether modding would be possible?

It seemed to be that many of the problems came with each succeeding patch after v1.01, as though the developer seemed to have lost the expertise to effectively work on the game. The game is easily modded and many of the problems can be fixed, or moderated, by small text modifications to the data files (mainly consts.ini files), or use of the in-game F12 feature to correct sudden changes in national PP levels. .

Much of this is discussed in the earlier forum discussion. One of the significant errors that came into the game was the failure to apply terrain effects to the combat resolution odds, this can be fixed with additions to the national consts.ini files.

Happy to discuss any mini mods which may help, but it does need manual changes to text in the game data files, I am no expert, but once you see how the various game effects are structured it is not difficult, just small text changes using Windows 'Notepad', or 'Excel'.

I am basing this on v1.05, which has the most features, as STEAM v1.06 introduced more errors ('Armour in City' effects), for which there is only a partial fix.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 4/13/2016 3:53:06 PM >

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me

(in reply to Mantis)
Post #: 4
RE: Development - 4/13/2016 10:48:53 PM   
Mantis

Not able to reply in detail at the moment (cooking a turkey dinner for the family), but wanted to mention the Steam release.

I was having problems with the Matrix versions of ToF prior to (and including) 1.05. I would get a crash, after which NONE of the recent saves would load. If I went back a few turns, I could get the game to load, but it would only progress to the same turn in which the crash occurred, and then it would crash again... I played a couple hundred hours and never got a single game to completion, ever.

When the Steam release came out, I never had the issue again, which was very heartening. But then discovering why I was going broke every time I reloaded a game became the next deal breaker.

As mentioned, I won't have much time to go into details at this point, but I would love any info on the best mods to use to correct all these issues, links to any relevant forum threads, as well as discussing anything I might be able to do to help going forward.

< Message edited by Mantis -- 4/13/2016 10:51:09 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Development Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI