Naval bombardment of non-base hex

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

Naval bombardment of non-base hex

Post by ny59giants »

I know some players have been able to get this to work, but I haven't. What needs to occur before I can successfully get this to work for me??
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

RE: Naval bombardment of non-base hex

Post by BBfanboy »

I do it all the time. From what I have seen the keys are good weather (no rain or overcast) and a high D/L on the unit. If the ships do not bombard at all, try leaving them at "Remain on Station" if it is safe to do so, and put at least one float plane on daytime recon support.

That said, there are some units that seem to defy bombardment once the squads are gone and all you have left is equipment. E.G. I have been trying to eliminate a Japanese AA unit on an island off Malaya and can't touch the searchlights, observer squads, and vehicles. The unit is toothless, but I don't want to prep a unit to land to eliminate it.

I did eliminate via naval bombardment an HQ unit in the woods on Hokkaido a couple of turns ago. Took weeks of constant bombardment, and some days appeared fruitless but likely kept the fatigue/disruption up.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

if it the defending unit is toothless... Do you still need to prep?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

if it the defending unit is toothless... Do you still need to prep?
Yes. Without prep an amphib landing suffers heavily in the surf. Even if most of the losses are disables rather than destroyed, I do not want to have to rehab a unit for months.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Do you have a ball park estimate of approximate losses if you amph land without prep? would losses be in the 30% to 40%?

I am not too worried about disabled as they can easily recover, as soon as you move it to a base with plenty of support and supply...
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Do you have a ball park estimate of approximate losses if you amph land without prep? would losses be in the 30% to 40%?

I am not too worried about disabled as they can easily recover, as soon as you move it to a base with plenty of support and supply...

You can count on the unit being around 50% effectiveness after such a landing. Most of that will be disablements, but you will also suffer many lost devices.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Easily but not necessarily quickly.
The Moose
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

BB,

Most bombardment takes place at night (not sure if I've EVER seen a daytime bombardment) and thus my question, would it not be better to have the float plane recon at night??? Thanks, Hal
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

BB,

Most bombardment takes place at night (not sure if I've EVER seen a daytime bombardment) and thus my question, would it not be better to have the float plane recon at night??? Thanks, Hal
You need to get a D/L on the unit(s) before the ships will bombard, so first recon during daytime before doing the night bombardment next turn. That is why I said "if it is safe to do so" since it means more than one turn sitting in place.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Hal
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

This bug just bit me on the ass. In my game with Dan, I have been reconning the American Army just south of Langsa and north of Medan. Have had multiple FP and Recon aircraft going over it day and night for at least 8-10 turns. Detection Level looked high enough to set a shore bombardment with 4 CA and 6 DD. My AF in Medan has 150 Zeros so I set them at 50% CAP, 30% LRCAP, and 20% Rest. The bombardment hex is just one hex away so this should be fairly easy. Either they stay in Medan or hit the target. RIGHT?

NOPE!

They decide to hang out at the target hex ALL DAY and get pounded by SBD and Avengers. My LRCAP makes some serious mincemeat of the attacking aircraft but I los an old CA (Furutaka) and a modern CA. These losses didn't have to happen. Just the game being the game. Should never have even tried. Lesson painfully learned.

My advice is don't do it.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Ouchie!
You illustrate a real sticking point with this kind of bombardment: if the TF cannot get a bead on the enemy units (often bad weather over target during the naval phases) it will sit there in bombardment mode waiting for conditions to be right. I don't know if this is WAD or a bug. Certainly in R/L the TF commander would abandon the mission rather than sit in a dangerous spot.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Did you have threat tolerance set to absolute?
without it sometimes the TF simply cannot decide what to do
btd64

Post by btd64 »

John, I know you know this but I have to ask. Two things, 1. Did you have a scout plane up, and 2. Was your LRCAP assigned to your bombardment group? I know you are well aware of this stuff, but we all know that we forget things on occasion....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Yep. Great questions and I have been well known for making serious boobies in this game. WE all have. Not this time.

Scout planes were reconning the hex. All four of the Cas as well as the 4 BC and BB in Medan are doing it. They have been for over a week.

There were 150 fighters at Medan set to 30% LRCAP and they were assigned to this TF. That is why they knocked out so many American Carrier planes.

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Sounds about right if you had Remain On Station set. I've never seen ships bombard non-base hexes. I'm not saying it can't happen, because I don't know either way, but I've never been able to do it. I stopped trying.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Thanks.

I didn't have them set to 'remain on station.' Just normal bombardment.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I know some players have been able to get this to work, but I haven't. What needs to occur before I can successfully get this to work for me??

I had to wait a few days to get to where I could bombard a non-base hex in my game but I did so last turn.
The target hex was 105,60 which is the one west of Kochi (which is just above the word Shikoku on the map.)
Four TFs bombarded, the two you see in the screenshot and two single BBs.
All TFs were set to "Remain on Station" because that seems to be better at getting them to bombard. Their routing was set Direct/Absolute.
All TFs started from one hex away. If you set them to bombard while they are in the target hex they usually do nothing, but sit there with the bombardment orders.
Weather was Clear - this is key.
Most FPs were set to night Recon, 0 hex range, 3000 feet. One or two were set to daytime missions at 4000 feet in case there was a daytime bombardment.
Both single BBs bombarded in daytime! [:)]

Here is the screenshot:

Attachments
Bombardmen..nBaseHex.jpg
Bombardmen..nBaseHex.jpg (348.61 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

But...it says... "of Kochi"... instead of "near Kochi"?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

But...it says... "of Kochi"... instead of "near Kochi"?
It always says the nearest base when bombarding a non-base hex. You will note that there are no Japanese units in Kochi itself, and they have been trapped in the 105,60 hex for weeks so they did not "just make the move last turn".

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”