Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need bonuses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Need bonuses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need bonuses - 12/23/2015 6:45:15 PM   
pjdegrieck

Hello,

I keep getting stomped. I seem to lose steam after I conquer Minsk and Odessa.

Anyway to give my army bonuses with settings? I can't get passed normal difficulty.

Thanks!

< Message edited by Fartsicle -- 12/23/2015 7:45:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Need bonuses - 12/23/2015 7:46:41 PM   
gwgardner

There are a variety of things to give you a better chance in the startup options and in-game. Give the AI less time (ie don't give it more time) to think. Don't use fog of war. Try playing without decisions. In-game, use the 'help' buttons, for instance giving yourself more replacements or more fuel.

(in reply to pjdegrieck)
Post #: 2
RE: Need bonuses - 12/23/2015 7:50:52 PM   
James Ward

Play on easy mode too, you get additional PP's each turn.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: Need bonuses - 12/23/2015 9:11:51 PM   
Vic

Make sure to use your focus cards, artillery cards and tactical air support cards. + Don't be afraid to take casualties.

Or play the Soviets ;)

v1.02 should be a bit easier as well for the initial German advance.

best wishes,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 12/23/2015 10:12:36 PM >

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 4
RE: Need bonuses - 12/24/2015 1:26:48 AM   
pjdegrieck

Thanks for the tips but I'm still getting stomped...

It would be awesome if there was an "easy or very easy" mode which gives you combat bonuses like +10% and +20% like how it does with the AI on hard and very hard.

I'm using my cards, no FoW, easy mode, no event, etc!

I didn't think I'd suck so bad.

I can stomp Flashpoint Campaigns, Command Modern Air/Naval, Distant Worlds, Panzer Corps, Combat Missions, etc etc

But this is owning me.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 5
RE: Need bonuses - 12/24/2015 4:30:15 AM   
Duck Doc

Brave post! Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm struggling too but anything worthwhile takes a lot of hard work and a lot of frustration. This is a fantastic game experience. Don't be afraid to fail. You can't be as bad as I feel I am doing. It is tough sledding as the Germans but it should be. The Soviets creamed them in the real deal. Now, back to Plan B. Carry on...

(in reply to pjdegrieck)
Post #: 6
RE: Need bonuses - 12/24/2015 5:14:32 AM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dale H

Brave post! Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm struggling too but anything worthwhile takes a lot of hard work and a lot of frustration. This is a fantastic game experience. Don't be afraid to fail. You can't be as bad as I feel I am doing. It is tough sledding as the Germans but it should be. The Soviets creamed them in the real deal. Now, back to Plan B. Carry on...

Plan B...I'm on plan F ..the center is a tough nut. I can do ok in AGN and AGS but AGC kills me, of course timing my FSB moves and refits could be better. I haven't restarted yet with the new patch, i have one more plan to try to unhinge the Smolensk wall. It will be hard since my relationships have soured and i have no focus card for the PG's in AGC and to top it off the lack of investment in signaling equipment has come back to bite and i also had a train wreck so supply is hurting.....fun game

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 7
RE: Need bonuses - 12/24/2015 5:28:54 AM   
ernieschwitz

Don't forget to plan, and that all plans get scrapped with the contact with the enemy. Then replan, and replan... etc... Sounds good you are on plan F ;)

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 8
RE: Need bonuses - 12/24/2015 2:04:12 PM   
willgamer

I'm no expert by any means, but I have bagged my first win ( http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3991968 ).

Disclaimer: If one of the experts comments differently, listen to them.

So here's a suggestion of options to change from the starting default: mild winter on, Geneva Convention off, easy mode on, past history off.

I believe it's better to play with as many PP choices in play as possible. The freedom of action and AP bonuses that come from your 3 Army Groups and your superior at OKW are critical and increase with better relationships.

Play your PP decisions to increase the relationship with the above 4 generals. You do this by observing the comments for each decision. If one of the above 4 favors something, do it. If in doubt, take a middle, less costly, decision, avoid the extremes.

The first turn is critical! Keep practicing until you can surround and destroy several Soviet armies by turn 4. Avoid attacking inf. with arm. Be as wild and crazy with your arm., dashing through holes created by inf. and mech., as possible. Even, on turn one, if you see they will probably be surrounded by the Soviets. Maximize turn one CHAOS and DISRUPTION. Since the Soviets are almost frozen on their turn 1, the risks are minimal.

Keep arm. on roads and especially out of woods to avoid expending too much fuel and/or making poor attacks.

It's usually o'k to leave pockets for inf. to cleanup the next turn.

Avoid attacking with low APs remaining; running out of APs when attacking ruins your units' Readiness.

Keep an eye on Readiness. Because units start in full supply, they recover readiness during the first few turns quickly. Later on this won't happen and you must rest units for a turn to avoid ineffectiveness.

Maximize an attack by moving the attacking unit's HQ to within 2 hexes of the attacker(s).

Mech. units are the real work horses.

You don't need to destroy conscript armies so much as attack and weaken them.

I'm sure others will continue to add to the list.

< Message edited by willgamer -- 12/24/2015 5:25:34 PM >

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 9
RE: Need bonuses - 12/26/2015 9:10:03 PM   
battlevonwar

New Patch mods down the power of the AI Soviets(One of the most enjoyable AI opponents I have faced since Civilization Deity but of course not that good XP )

The primary the goal is to get infantry to move...Tanks/motorized
to constantly hold the Soviet Forces in a vice grip. You might lose due to weather or counterattacks but hard to lose early doing this. (I find that the biggest issue are Soviet Cities so avoid them) and take the FSB cities(forward supply base cities) And plant them right away to keep your truck maintenance low and keep you men supplied. Plus after initial Blitzkrieg put your men to rest and refit probably every 3 to 4 turns. Especially those fighting in terrible terrain..(if readiness is below 70 you really are wasting efforts) The Soviet AI is sneaky but can be tricked. Look for where she tries to go(it's usually the same every time) but not always!!! I had her attack Finland and make her surrender in a game. Good luck took me a lot of repeats but I never read the book.

P.S. All terrain that isn't clear = German death. Find the open terrain and clear it. Also Fuhrer objectives(do them to get the PPs) The Soviets get bonuses in all terrain that is rocky/foresty/marshy.. they eat your Readiness. So plan ahead to get your Panzers and Motorized to only fight in the clear whenever possible(KEEP SIEGE ARTY moving toward your goals where big objectives and strong garrisons are at, or surround that on all sides and attack)) (never use them to hit anything on a strong spot or city) unless it's weakened or early.. Get to the bridges before the AI blows them. Also scout with a motorized for open cities the AI has a nasty habit of forgetting to plant garrisons early in the game. XP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fartsicle

Hello,

I keep getting stomped. I seem to lose steam after I conquer Minsk and Odessa.

Anyway to give my army bonuses with settings? I can't get passed normal difficulty.

Thanks!

< Message edited by battlevonwar -- 12/26/2015 10:18:46 PM >

(in reply to pjdegrieck)
Post #: 10
RE: Need bonuses - 12/26/2015 9:44:35 PM   
baloo7777

I am playing with the new patch, but giving the AI too much time to think , even on normal. It has already counter-attacked a few times in the center where I struggle to move forward with any speed. And I am following the little corporals list in trying to make Leningrad my top priority, and now no longer have the AGC focus cards. Its July and I haven't reached Minsk yet...should I end this game (and call it a learning experience) and start again? What can be done to change the situation in AGC now?

JRR

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 11
RE: Need bonuses - 12/26/2015 10:37:25 PM   
battlevonwar

If you're really frustrated retry and this time try to take cities/rails/and move so far forward with your Panzers they almost lose supply(the AI is pretty foolish about letting you get away with this SOMETIMES) and then you will get better results if you can follow up with the rest of it. Otherwise keeping playing you learn a lot by losing. A perfect start is niceeee

P.S. Do not anger your Generals, learn what angers them!

quote:

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

I am playing with the new patch, but giving the AI too much time to think , even on normal. It has already counter-attacked a few times in the center where I struggle to move forward with any speed. And I am following the little corporals list in trying to make Leningrad my top priority, and now no longer have the AGC focus cards. Its July and I haven't reached Minsk yet...should I end this game (and call it a learning experience) and start again? What can be done to change the situation in AGC now?

< Message edited by battlevonwar -- 12/26/2015 11:38:12 PM >

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 12
RE: Need bonuses - 12/26/2015 11:39:03 PM   
baloo7777

Thanks for the advice battlevonwar. I HATE starting over just because I can't win...it goes against the grain. I will see if taking Leningrad will work or if the goal will change while I'm playing. Thee center is pretty messed up still, but you are right, I'll learn by losing...one of my favorite tactics!

JRR

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 13
RE: Need bonuses - 12/28/2015 2:30:12 AM   
Duck Doc

Hitler directive out of the gate was to take Leningrad. Borrowed 3rd PG and was on the brink then new directive South! Took Leningrad anyway and had Kiev already so, had to hubba hubba to get Odessa then Rostov. Hard to do with vR pissed off at me from early on. December and Rostov is close and AGC took Smolensk and is ready for a final push. This is first time through to the end with extra PP's on easy. I am about ready to put a bomb on Hitler's airplane though.

This is a remarkable gaming experience and frightfully addictive. It has been a while since I have had so much fun. Getting ready to reload and try again on higher difficulty.

Really need to start taking notes to keep things straight. Would really like a log of decisions taken and cards played. It would help a lot.

Got to thinking the problem is pz divisions should be able to blow through Sov defenders and not just induce a retreat. For eg., 2nd PG has a hard time punching through the Pripyet marsh area because it is very congested and it becomes a pushing contest. Doesn't break the game however.

quote:

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Thanks for the advice battlevonwar. I HATE starting over just because I can't win...it goes against the grain. I will see if taking Leningrad will work or if the goal will change while I'm playing. Thee center is pretty messed up still, but you are right, I'll learn by losing...one of my favorite tactics!

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Need bonuses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI