A Question about Kamikazes

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pws1225

A Question about Kamikazes

Post by pws1225 »

Todd and I have just entered 1944 in our Scenario 1 PBEM. I am the good guys (Japan) and Todd is the dark side. The Allies hold Wenchow in China which falls within the 15 hex range from Takao so kamikazes are activated. However, only a few air groups have active kamikaze conversion toggles in the air unit screen, one is a 36 plane A6M8 squadron in Tokyo, and another is an 8 plane Jill group in Nagasaki. Other A6M8 and Jill groups that I have looked at do not show an option to convert to kamikazes, nor do any of the Judy, Nell, or Betty groups. Since this is the first time I have ventured into 1944 as the good guys, I am wondering if there is something systematic used by the game engine to determine eligibility for the kamikaze conversion, or is it determined by who drew the short straw. Also, any advice on which types of air groups make for the best kamikazes, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Another issue regarding kamikaze activation is the manner in which the activation occurred in our game. The allies have held Wenchow since the start of the war. Up until this point, the allies have not captured any other bases within the required 15 hex range of Tokyo, Saigon, or Takao which would trigger kamikaze activation. Needless to say, Todd is none to happy about this while I think I am simply a clever Nipponese Admiral. However, I can see Todd's point since historically kamikazes were used as a desperation measure which the Allies holding Wenchow since the start of the war would probably not engender. Presuming this is WAD, would using Wenchow to gain access to kamikazes seem gamey to the forum?

By the way, I have opened this question to Todd (tocaff) if he wants to chime in. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Paul
crsutton

RE: A Question about Kamikazes - No Tocaff Please

Post by crsutton »

You will have to ask a Japanese player about the groups that can convert. You get a lot of new air groups late in the war. I suspect that many of those can be turned into Kamikazes. As for most effective-the planes that carry the biggest bombs are the most effective. Late war Judy's are fast and carry a big bomb. I think in my last campaign they are the ones that hurt me the most. My opponent got a couple of baka bomb hits too. They were nasty.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Question moved to the main forum.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I'm not feeling anything one way or the other about Kamis being active. I'll be running into them sooner or later so at least my Corsairs will finally have work to do.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

Return to “The War Room”