Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery Rounds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Artillery Rounds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery Rounds - 12/10/2015 12:38:12 AM   
Mobius

This article is interesting in that it shows the ratio of number of 76mm to 122mm artillery shells and 122mm to 152mm shells. This is during the Kursk battle.
http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2015/12/artillery-effectiveness.html

I don't have an idea on how the Russians determined the exact location of each shell and effect of shelling when they were not even close to the sites. Especially it may be a week or more before the Russians could capture the battlefield. Maybe it was aerial photography. But they would have to take photos immediately before and after.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery Rounds - 12/10/2015 6:46:07 AM   
Rick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

This article is interesting in that it shows the ratio of number of 76mm to 122mm artillery shells and 122mm to 152mm shells. This is during the Kursk battle.
http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2015/12/artillery-effectiveness.html

I don't have an idea on how the Russians determined the exact location of each shell and effect of shelling when they were not even close to the sites. Especially it may be a week or more before the Russians could capture the battlefield. Maybe it was aerial photography. But they would have to take photos immediately before and after.

It was difficult to see the diagrams, but from what I could see, it would be interesting to so how that fits the dispersal pattern PCO uses for art.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery Rounds - 12/10/2015 6:58:38 AM   
Mobius

There's a way to click on those photos which enlarges them. Regardless I saved the images so I could view them closer.

From the text it looks like most of these take place the first day of the battle. So they could be pre-plotted salvos at known fortified positions. That is why they do so little damage while being very on target. Or, the positions could even be dummy positions.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to Rick)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery Rounds - 12/10/2015 8:12:18 PM   
Rick

Yes, I did click to enlarge, though they were still not real large. Thanks for posting these.

Rick

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> Artillery Rounds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI