-axis- Needing more HQ Army Group!!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

imberbe

-axis- Needing more HQ Army Group!!

Post by imberbe »

Hi, im a player of this game and i love it yes, but i wish to know how
or if possible to create more hq Army Group.
In several campaigns i see usually 5 HQ A. G : North, Center, South (this convert to A and B or north ukrainian and South Ukr..).
It´s possible create? or it´s a bug?

thanks
"We have come to bring freedom and democracy, but if someone moves without my permission, we will execute him!"
No idea

RE: -axis- Needing more HQ Army Group!!

Post by No idea »

No, you cant create any units as the Axis. Only fortified zones. The game is more about recreating the East war than about simulating "what ifs..."
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

There is a method for activating Army Group B (and when you do this, Army Group South changes its name to Army Group B).
To do this, you need to take Rostov and the 3 cities across the Don River. I believe there is a limit on how early you can do this, though (I may be wrong).

Activating Army Group B is very useful because all Army HQs assigned to Army Group South become un-attached and return to OKH. This enables you to assign them between Army Groups for free.

A key element to better organizing is to assign the Romanian Army HQs into Army Group Antoniscu. This frees up space in Army Group South (but it costs about 80 Admin Points).

I also have a habit of putting 2nd Army HQ into Army Group North (for about 25 APs). This achieves a pretty equal balance, with Army Group South being over-limit most of the time.

Other things to remember:
Assign all SEC units to OKH.
Assign all Romanian divisions to Romanian commands.

I have a habit of assigning all of the Jager divisions to the Romanians (loading the divisions up with 3 SUs per division); they give a bit of staying power, while freeing up a few precious CPs. Note that this assumes you are transferring Romanian Army HQs to Army Group Antonescu.

Invariably I tend to need a German Corps HQ in the south as a sort of free-floating reinforcement. I usually assign this to OKH or to one of the RHG Security Army HQs.

All of this takes a LOT of Admin Points, though.
Since I play the AI, this isn't a big problem. Playing against a human, it probably would be.
Nonetheless, it may give you some insight into how to mitigate the HQ command limit problems.
Good luck.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
Acidman

Post by Acidman »

ORIGINAL: No idea

No, you cant create any units as the Axis. Only fortified zones. The game is more about recreating the East war than about simulating "what ifs..."
Well, the entire russian army is a "what if" in this game when players/AI start to create units.

No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: Acidman

ORIGINAL: No idea

Well, the entire russian army is a "what if" in this game when players/AI start to create units.

Yes. I meant the german army.
vodkaferret

Post by vodkaferret »

I can't find anything in the manual about a time limit on activation, but I'm in November '42, as far as I can see I captured all the required cities a while ago... and still no Army Group B :(

Attachments
rostov.jpg
rostov.jpg (228.7 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

game version ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
vodkaferret

Post by vodkaferret »

1.08.03. The last non-beta update I believe...

Although I've just seen that strangely the main screen shows .03 and the bottom of the event log says .04
morvael

Post by morvael »

Last official version is 1.08.05 I believe, and it was in that version that the bug was finally fixed:
8. Fixed a bug where the Army Group B HQ was renamed too early to Army Group South, which in turn prevented Army Group South being split into army groups A and B. Added a workaround for games in progress that are affected by this bug, but it will work only for games that have not yet advanced past 3/43.
vodkaferret

Post by vodkaferret »

Last official version is 1.08.05 I believe, and it was in that version that the bug was finally fixed:

Thanks Morvael. Everything I can find on the forums or the WitE product page says 1.08.05 is public beta only, and I tend to generally avoid patching too often - I get easily confused when things change a lot :)

In this case of course it's patching time!

Thanks again.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Sometimes (even) I get confused [:)]. Indeed, 1.08.04 may be last official patch, 1.08.05 and .06 and .07 are public betas.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”