Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lining up map tiles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Lining up map tiles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lining up map tiles - 11/30/2015 8:46:28 PM   
Xenomorph

Hello all,

I'm having trouble lining up map tiles. The tiles seem pretty closely aligned in the upper left as shown but by the time you get down to the lower right they're a bit askew. I'm certain the hexes are set to 64 pixels per hex. I've tried several different methods but this is the closest I've come. I'm also wondering if I simply leave it if it'll effect gameplay or do I have to make the tiles line up more precisely?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Lining up map tiles - 11/30/2015 9:00:51 PM   
Stimpak

They don't have to be precise, but it's less confusing for the player if they're on top of eachother. The hexgrids in my maps aren't perfectly lined up, but they're close enough as to not be terribly confusing.

What program are you using to make your map?

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 2
RE: Lining up map tiles - 12/1/2015 5:59:14 PM   
WildCatNL

Hi Xenomorph,

Stimpak is correct: it won't affect gameplay. However, for Southern Storm we aim to extract more info automatically from the map, and aligning the grid (and rivers at hex borders) becomes more important.

It seems the grid/map you generate is 8px too wide and 6px to tall. For a 46x30 hex map (2568x1952), you can try scaling the bitmap down (to 2560x1946, so 8 less wide and 6 less tall) and it should fit perfectly.

How did you create the grid? HexDraw?

William

< Message edited by W1ll14m -- 12/1/2015 7:00:47 PM >

OTS "garden boy"

(in reply to Stimpak)
Post #: 3
RE: Lining up map tiles - 12/2/2015 4:19:16 AM   
Xenomorph

Thanks for replying. I'm using paint.net so far. There are different things I like about both paint and hexdraw and I'm experimenting with using both to create maps. I'd like to try the one William is using eventually. Going in, I knew just enough about both of the other two to be dangerous but I don't feel like delving into a whole new one at the moment.

It's odd to me that I seem to have the pixel/hex count correct but the alignment changes as you go further from the top left. So long as it works tho.

(in reply to Stimpak)
Post #: 4
RE: Lining up map tiles - 12/2/2015 12:33:41 PM   
cbelva

Hey Xenomorph. I have done several maps using Hexdraw and have found it fairly straight forward to get the  maps hexes lined up. I use Paintshop Pro to do my final editing and resizing of the  map. The first thing I do is count the number of hexes in the far left hand column. For the map to be correct at the bottom, the far left side column must have a half hex in the bottom. I count the half hex as a half hex. Example, I have a map I created and it has 30.5 hexes in that column. I then multiply 30.5 by 64 yielding 1952. With the map loaded in Paintshop Pro I resize the image by adjusting the height to 1952 pixels. If the aspect ratio is locked so that the width will adjust with the height, the hexes will resize to the correct size and I get a perfect fit in the  game. I hope this helps.

P--Where do you lives in Colorado?

(in reply to Xenomorph)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Lining up map tiles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI