Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Max Population Calculator 0.2 NOW OUT

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Max Population Calculator 0.2 NOW OUT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Max Population Calculator 0.2 NOW OUT - 11/27/2015 12:32:24 AM   
FictionXVI

Hey guys I just threw together a max population calculator because I was tired of not knowing. It isn't pretty by any means and it uses javascript to do it. So it will run in your browser but just in case anyone wants it I'll add the source file. Feel free to redesign/redistribute if you can make it better

Just a side note I only tested this in chrome so let me know if you have issues with it in other browsers!

NEW VERSION 0.2

Change-Log:
-Help tips
-Tried fiddling with the native planet part of the calculation still seems off though so give me some time

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by FictionXVI -- 12/3/2015 11:46:32 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/1/2015 6:03:28 PM   
Handbanana

Thanks! Trying it out now, will give feedback.

(in reply to FictionXVI)
Post #: 2
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/3/2015 6:40:43 PM   
FictionXVI

I'm noticing that theirs something wrong with the native planet vs. the non-native planet part of the equation. I'm not sure that the native planet bonus applies any more. The equation I was using was figured out by another user. Osito is his forum name. Anyways the post is back in 2013 so idk maybe the game got updated since then? I'll try running some experiments and see if I can't refine the process. If anyone else notices anything or kinda maybe figures it out please let me know and I'll fix the equation and reupload the new version straight away. Otherwise idk what's up with it. I'm going to go over my code again....maybe missed something.

(in reply to Handbanana)
Post #: 3
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/3/2015 7:11:27 PM   
Osito

I wasn't aware that the native planet bonus had been removed, but it is a while since I last looked at it.

However, if you look back at my post, you'll see that I was never confident of having worked out exactly when the native planet bonus was applied.

If I were doing the spreadsheet, I'd probably leave the native planet bonus out, unless you've managed to work out the rules controlling exactly when it applies. People would just have to bear in mind that the max pop may sometimes be 10% too low.

Osito

(in reply to FictionXVI)
Post #: 4
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/3/2015 10:23:52 PM   
FictionXVI

Thanks for your comment! Yeah I went over my code and it looks right to me.

It's just weird because I used it before when I first stumbled across your equations and it seemed to work out almost perfectly in most cases. Now though it always goes a bit to high.

Maybe my toFixed(2) is causing some kind of rounding error? Back testing I suppose!

EDIT:also just uploading a new version explaining how to use it a little better

< Message edited by FictionXVI -- 12/3/2015 11:41:01 PM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 5
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/4/2015 6:47:39 AM   
Handbanana

I worked well within a reasonable margin of error. :D

When talking about population in billions, having a few tens og hundred millions error on the actuall output is acceptable by any standard imo.
Handy tool, used it a lot on my current savegame, thanks a bunch!

(in reply to FictionXVI)
Post #: 6
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/4/2015 3:39:57 PM   
FictionXVI

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

(in reply to Handbanana)
Post #: 7
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/5/2015 11:28:24 PM   
FictionXVI

Osito, I have to ask when you were doing your experiments where you spawning in species on their native planet types?

I'm just asking because I think your original equation Max pop = 2.5x[(Planet Size/10000)^2]x[(Planet Quality/100)^2] seems to calculate very accurately for species on native planets. I think by throwing the 1.1 in the front it throws it off simply because it's already accounting for it. I just like to know what you think thanks!

(in reply to FictionXVI)
Post #: 8
RE: Max Population Calculator - 12/7/2015 11:35:02 AM   
Osito

Hi,

I just tested it on a new game playing as the humans. I took a poor planet start, so I could quickly get to max population in the editor.

Planet size was 26.5k.

Quality was 66%.

Max population was 8412M, which is what you get if you use the population equation and add the 10% native planet bonus.

So, as far as I can tell, the equation is still valid.

Which races did you try it with (there may be a possibility that some races don't get a native planet bonus, as I don't think I tested every single race).

Are you using any mods? Not sure whether a mod could affect this, but I did all my research with the default theme.

Osito

(in reply to FictionXVI)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding >> Max Population Calculator 0.2 NOW OUT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI