Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Zero Defect Military Mentality and its Dangers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The Zero Defect Military Mentality and its Dangers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Zero Defect Military Mentality and its Dangers - 3/26/2003 8:56:12 AM   
KG Erwin

The recent attack by an American soldier on his comrades only points out how ignorant the military can be when they have to deal with an internal security issue. A soldier says to a fellow soldier, "I converted to the Muslim faith and changed my name to Abdul Akbar." Shouldn't that, in itself, raise a red flag in the command bureaucracy? The zero defect mentality of the US military has no clue, and worse , no desire to look inward for a possible loose cannon in their ranks. The ramifications of doing so are reflected up thru the ranks, so a ticket-punching brass hat somewhere in the food chain will stop any potential controversy before it affects his or her career status. That's the way it works, even today, and that's how this tragedy occurred.
Post #: 1
Re: The Zero Defect Military Mentality and its Dangers - 3/26/2003 10:35:48 AM   
Mad Cow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KG Erwin
[B]The recent attack by an American soldier on his comrades only points out how ignorant the military can be when they have to deal with an internal security issue. A soldier says to a fellow soldier, "I converted to the Muslim faith and changed my name to Abdul Akbar." Shouldn't that, in itself, raise a red flag in the command bureaucracy? The zero defect mentality of the US military has no clue, and worse , no desire to look inward for a possible loose cannon in their ranks. The ramifications of doing so are reflected up thru the ranks, so a ticket-punching brass hat somewhere in the food chain will stop any potential controversy before it affects his or her career status. That's the way it works, even today, and that's how this tragedy occurred. [/B][/QUOTE]

This tragedy occurred because that guy tossed some grenades into some tents.

Whether or not the guy should have been in the position he was or not before the attack is purely a judgement call. The army cannot descriminate by religion.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 3/26/2003 9:43:28 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Look at the news.

Do you think the Muslims in our society are enjoying working for poisonous sounding Christian rhetoric?

The soldier in question had a personal grievance. It has nothing at all to do with his religion in all likelihood.

It happened in the gulf so it becomes alarming. If it had have happened back home on a training exercise none of us would have ever heard of it.

The media invents the importance of our news more often than not.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
- 3/27/2003 6:20:27 AM   
Paul Vebber

Lets take a step back and look at this case a bit closer. From what has been reported so far:

The soldier had been acting "stangely" to the extent that he had been told he would not be joining his comrades at the front when the unit shipped out.

Far form "flying under the radar" it sems that coomand action to single him out may well have been a motivating factor i the aattack. In a "gung ho" unit like the 101st, being singled out to be held out of combat because of behavior could well have had severe repurcussions.

Several of the remarks about his possible religioous motivation. One intervieew I saw with a friendstateside started with innocuous statments and when the reporter siad "did his conversion to Islam play a role"? which was responded to with a "sure that could certainly have played some role"

I think in law school they call it "leading the witness", but we don't to yell "I object"

I'm certainly not trying to defend the coward's action - I think he should be shot by a firing squad.. But lets be careful attributing motives for his actions, and criticizing his superiors - who had flagged him as a "problem".

The WORST thing we can be is take this isolated incident and turn it into a witch hunt undermining trust and cohesion in our fighting units.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 3/27/2003 7:14:40 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Look at the news.
The media invents the importance of our news more often than not. [/B][/QUOTE]

This is a key point, and one that should not be forgotten no matter what your source of information.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The Zero Defect Military Mentality and its Dangers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI