One particular thread not resetting read/unread status

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lokasenna

One particular thread not resetting read/unread status

Post by Lokasenna »

This is getting to be a bother for me, and maybe I'm posting this in the wrong spot but the general Matrix forums scare me.

Whenever I load a particular AAR (Lowpe's Turnaround thread) on this particular computer, it keeps jumping to one post: one of Alfred's responses on 11/9/2015. I've marked the entire AAR subforum read several times, and I've clicked into that thread every weekday that there has been an update from this computer. The AAR subforum has been marked as read at least twice daily on this computer.

Why does it keep going to that one post, and only in that thread? My understanding was that the forum tracked the read/unread status for each user in some general way (it has to know which posts you've read, and which you haven't, or it can't display them to you that way).

The thread is visually being marked as read correctly. I just did it again. I fully expect that when there's another new post in there, if I click the orange arrow for the first new post, it will take me to Alfred's post on 11/9/2015 once more.

I'd rather not clear my browser cache... anybody got any other ideas?
witpqs

RE: One particular thread not resetting read/unread status

Post by witpqs »

Happens to me a lot with various threads. They eventually clear themselves out. I think it's the forum and/or the cookies it saves. Don't know anything to do about it.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Happens to me a lot with various threads. They eventually clear themselves out. I think it's the forum and/or the cookies it saves. Don't know anything to do about it.

Rats. It's been 8 days now...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

......maybe I'm posting this in the wrong spot but the general Matrix forums scare me.

warspite1

[X(] Well how's this for an idea? - grow a set and visit that dark scary place called the General Discussion forum! [:D]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I often have the forum not register that I have already read an AAR when I exit and return, but eventually it does - as though the cookie passing takes some time? Happens even if I click on "Mark this forum as read".
Don't recall it ever pointing me at a particular post though - I always go to the last page of the AAR to see if it is new to me or not.
As I recall, the >>> arrows point to the first post on the last page, not to the last post in the AAR.

EDIT: Never mind - I just figured out what button you were using and it seems to work OK for me, so you must have a cookie that does not want to erase? Whoever had a bad cookie?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

......maybe I'm posting this in the wrong spot but the general Matrix forums scare me.

warspite1

[X(] Well how's this for an idea? - grow a set and visit that dark scary place called the General Discussion forum! [:D]
You mean ALONE??? [&:]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

You mean ALONE??? [&:]
warspite1

Well no... or at least not at first obviously [:)]

You think fear is being in the first wave at Omaha? Well then you ain't been to the General Discussion forum......

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I often have the forum not register that I have already read an AAR when I exit and return, but eventually it does - as though the cookie passing takes some time? Happens even if I click on "Mark this forum as read".
Don't recall it ever pointing me at a particular post though - I always go to the last page of the AAR to see if it is new to me or not.
As I recall, the >>> arrows point to the first post on the last page, not to the last post in the AAR.

EDIT: Never mind - I just figured out what button you were using and it seems to work OK for me, so you must have a cookie that does not want to erase? Whoever had a bad cookie?

Yeah, I have this happen if I come back too fast, or my reading gets caught up in the middle of the cookie processing, or whatever happens.

I guess we'll see if it rights itself this week, else I'll have to do that dreaded clearing of browser files. Dreaded because I'll be doing it manually - finding the specific ones for this forum and removing those only.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I guess we'll see if it rights itself this week, else I'll have to do that dreaded clearing of browser files. Dreaded because I'll be doing it manually - finding the specific ones for this forum and removing those only.
warspite1

Yeah, on reflection a sensible move. You can't be too careful on these scary internet forums....[8|]

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

This is getting to be a bother for me, and maybe I'm posting this in the wrong spot but the general Matrix forums scare me.

Whenever I load a particular AAR (Lowpe's Turnaround thread) on this particular computer, it keeps jumping to one post: one of Alfred's responses on 11/9/2015. I've marked the entire AAR subforum read several times, and I've clicked into that thread every weekday that there has been an update from this computer. The AAR subforum has been marked as read at least twice daily on this computer.

Why does it keep going to that one post, and only in that thread? My understanding was that the forum tracked the read/unread status for each user in some general way (it has to know which posts you've read, and which you haven't, or it can't display them to you that way).

The thread is visually being marked as read correctly. I just did it again. I fully expect that when there's another new post in there, if I click the orange arrow for the first new post, it will take me to Alfred's post on 11/9/2015 once more.

Are you clicking in from a bookmark? If I remember correctly, the URLs in the forum can include a message number. If the bookmarked URL includes the message number, you're going to zoom into that number each time you load the page.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Are you clicking in from a bookmark? If I remember correctly, the URLs in the forum can include a message number. If the bookmarked URL includes the message number, you're going to zoom into that number each time you load the page.

Bill

I have the AE forums bookmarked in one location, but not sure I have them bookmarked at that computer. It might just be a quick address for me from being a common item in my browsing history.

I go to the AE main forum, open all the subforums with new posts in tabs, and then middle-click on the 'go to first unread' button for each topic I am reading (to open in tabs). Then I click "mark all as read", and begin my reading. But every time I open Lowpe's Turnaround thread on that computer, via the first unread button, it sends me to what is now 4 pages behind. Other threads open properly.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill
In my case it's when I click on the little arrow next to the thread that is supposed to take you to the first unread post.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Here is what it generates for a link for the thread:
fb.asp?m=3549450&go=newest&lastvisit=11 ... %3A18%20AM

For other threads:
fb.asp?m=3916032&go=newest&lastvisit=11 ... %3A23%20PM

Note the date disparity. 11/5 vs. 11/17.

Return to “Tech Support”