Big issue with this game

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

JPFisher55

Big issue with this game

Post by JPFisher55 »

I bought this game in Spring of 2015. I've tried playing a few scenarios twice now.

My big issue with this game is that units do not obey orders to move when they can see enemy units. Instead they just fire on the enemy unit.
It doesn't seem to matter if the enemy unit if next to them or far away. It doesn't seem to matter if your unit is under fire or not. It will not obey
movement order (except assault), even if the order is away from the enemy unit. A unit will only retreat on its own usually when it is too late.

I have noticed this issue in all versions from 2.0.06 to 2.0.10. To me it makes the game not worth the time to play it.
major.pain

RE: Big issue with this game

Post by major.pain »

Yeah the delay for short type evasion or adjust position movement is to be frank an abortion.
If they can just sort that out i might be able to play it without my neighbors complaining about me shouting and swearing.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Guys, nothing moves fast in a battle and less so when folks are shooting at you. We are addressing the local unit adjustments within the parental HQ in the next game engine with a revamped Command and Control system to solve these types of issues where the company commander could order a unit(s) to move a short distance with in his command radius. The orders delays will then be a function of how far up the command chain they have to go and back before things happen. Of course EW, readiness, etc will still play a big part as it does in the real world.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
budd

Post by budd »

no single unit adjustments on there own initiative? Example- I can see a unit is going to be in a bad position, danger heading towards a unit so i give move orders. OK units next move at so and so time. Unit has decent readiness/morale but it won't move until that next move at time no matter what. You can see whats coming and your screaming " get the F**k outta there" Until that time comes they won't move and then there toast.Now admittedly sometimes that position is my fault for leaving them hanging out too long. Maybe a withdraw order or emergency move order, not sure what the solution would be. All i can say is the more you play the better you get at getting ahead of the curve in those situations, you kinda get the timing down a little better.Also i usually don't mind cussing at a wargame..sh*t happens.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Hey budd, i dont want my units to act the moment i give them an order and hit start. I enjoy the planning ahead needed and the fact that scouting ahead first is vital as units take time to mobilize and then extra time depending on conditions so its very hard to predict a precise movement ect pretty much the way it would be in real life with limited information.
But, and here is where it falls apart for me. Example i have a unit positioned below the crest of a hill, i want him to move up onto the crest (a hex) to maybe take a few shots a some Helos or tanks or what ever that are 10-15 hexes away moving my way, then scoot back below the crest.
9 times our of 10 that simple one hex move takes that long the units are on top of me before i get on the crest, or move the hex to the edge of the city or what ever else.
Such a tiny move to ambush or scoot back into cover takes an age.
Hell, i could get Jeeves to fire up my chopper and fly over to Germany myself to tell them to move faster than the game can.
budd

Post by budd »

I hear ya, know exactly what you mean. The part about taking shots and going back down, well they talked about having different orders per waypoint in the next game so don't think that is coming anytime soon. I think what your saying is about unit initiative without getting orders from above, just not sure how it would work. The order timing does seem really long sometimes for short movements, i usually try to role play to get myself through those situations, i mean i couldn't tell how long its supposed to take to receive order, get everyone moving and move up a steep 500 meter incline and then factor in unit readiness and morale [fatigue modeled? can't remember] I have no unearthly idea. timing is tough in this game, maybe because its so uncertain and the formula has a lot of factors. You do get better at the timing the more you play.

major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Unit initiative would be nice i agree but really all i am needing at the moment is for small actions such as the examples i mentioned to work a lot better within the current orders system we have now.
I select my unit give 2 way point orders-

Waypoint 1-- Move hasty/deliberate or how the hell you like but just move god dammit, one hex to the east up on the ridge and hold for 5/10 minutes or whatever.
Waypoint 2-- Move back down to your original spot.

Its great to set up these ambushes in towns too when you know the enemy is moving towards you and you have your units in the center of town out of sight. Give a move waypoint one hex to the edge of town and engage for 10-15 minutes the way point two back into the center of town out of line of sight and before the arty starts falling(hopefully).
As is though something that simple needs to be planned 40-60 minutes ahead which is not reasonable.
batteran

Post by batteran »

Note that "an hex" is 500 meters range.

The "screen" stance should be what you want (let an unit act on their own for a +500m movement if under pressure)

Alas, the "screen" order is not perfect, and isuing an order under ennemy sigth in this game is usualy too late.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

JP Fisher and M J R I think you guys are looking for a game like combat mission, where you can micro manage the timing and orders of every tank and squad, this is a command orientated game where you give orders and watch your units try to carry them out, it requires a bit of foresite and forward planning, I think the game is excellent :-)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

There are two new features we are working on that will help with these issue in the new game engine. As stated above, the revised Command and Control will deal all with the issue of orders based on command proximity. The other part of the equation will be the ability to issue different orders with some SOP parameters over five waypoints. This includes a new delay/withdrawal order. The current game works well, but does have these areas we are addressing to make them better and more refined.

JPFisher55

Post by JPFisher55 »

My original point is that even if I plan ahead and have a unit withdraw by hasty move, it fails if the unit spots an enemy even if the enemy is 3-8 hexes away. Instead, your unit shoots at the newly spotted enemy unit. Your unit should move on your orders unless it is under extreme duress, like a unit in an adjacent hex (maybe 2 hexes away) shooting at it.
budd

Post by budd »

haven't noticed that. I'll have to pay more attention.

Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Just a thought and question, if the end of movement order is screen, does it mean the unit is more likely to move away and fire less at the enemy?

Cheers :-)
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Yes, screen has a standoff range that a unit will try to keep from spotted enemies.

Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

I put the question wrongly, what I meant was if the unit was engaged while moving to the screen position, would it be more likely to move away and fire less at any enemy it encountered?

Cheers :-)
budd

Post by budd »

good question, would the unit push/force its way towards its ordered position? Does the unit go to screen at the ordered location or is it in screen on the way there and will it try to stand off if an enemy is encountered on the way.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”