Fun times with the A.I

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zigurat666

Fun times with the A.I

Post by Zigurat666 »

Just though I'd share what I consider just one of the turn-to-turn decisions the A.I makes in this game

In this pic it shows an amphib TF still loading supplies in Colombo which will be onroute to Cochin which is still in enemy hands but should be taken next turn. So you can see that it is still in the process of loading,has an 8 hex path to its destination and has a top speed of 9 hexes if it were travelling at full speed.Leader has a 60 aggression factor but unit loaded is not combat so not sure if aggression factors into amphib TF's

Attachments
jjj.jpg
jjj.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Zigurat666

RE: Fun times with the A.I

Post by Zigurat666 »

In the next scene we have the starting point just for clarity

Attachments
iii.jpg
iii.jpg (27.2 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

And here we have the position of the TF the very next turn...with the accompanying results

Pre-Invasion action off Cochin (28,40) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

70 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DD Shigure, Shell hits 5, on fire
AK Awata Maru, Shell hits 13, heavy fires, heavy damage
AK Awazisan Maru

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Attachments
hhh.jpg
hhh.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

So my question (peeve) is...How does a Amphib TF load 1/3rd of its cargo,move full speed to target "AND" unload all in one turn with a mediocre commander and a non-combat unit? How am I supposed to plan for this kind of stuff that goes on literally every turn??
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

The Japanese were rather quick-footed, you know...[;)]. Besides, does your scenario state if they were actually ashore?
Their ground force losses - were they onboard the ships, or suffered during the landings? How much of the invasion force
was ashore at the end of the day?

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

The boats are empty now except for a few supplies
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

"Now" - is that the first day or have some days passed since the first landing?...

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

Your looking at 24hrs of operation
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

The commander and the type of unit have no factor in the equation.

I also fail to see what this has to do with the AI.

You're doing this not the AI.

The units didn't load, ship out and land all in one turn.

The first screen shot shows the progress loading from the last turn.

The TF had very little left to load in the way of supplies, troops were already loaded.

There are four unloading phases in a turn. If the TF used both movement phases to arrive at the hex, then it had two unloading phases to unload a very small unit from too very large AKs.

AKs have a high unload rate over beaches.

The Japanese get an invasion bonus until April of '42 that allows them to unload at an increased rate.

I don't see anything surprising here.
Hans

jwolf

Post by jwolf »

The Japanese unload much faster in the early months of the war (maybe load too? I don't know). Perhaps that accounts for the quick results you are seeing.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Forgot to mention that the speed of loading is dependent on the size of the port.

Colombo is a large port.

The troops were already fully loaded as supply doesn't begin loading until after troops and both transports already had over 1k supply loaded.

The approx. 2.7k supply left to load loaded in the blink of an eye in a port the size of Colombo.
Hans

KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

I guess this is versus me... The TF is already 70% loaded and the max for amphib is about 75% so there was only a trickle left. The minimum speed is 4 hexes per phase and loading happens before movement so what happened to you now is actually 100% OK and not a bug or a problem...

You are saying that the unit is not combat. Not sure if that is taken into account but I do know that JNAF units have a company sized infantry group (9 squads) with an assault value of 9....

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

when i read the rules i was under the assumption that in order to move the 8 hexes that 4 would be consumed during the first 12 hours and 4 the second 12 hours leaving no time during that 24 hour period to finish loading "AND"unload at the destination. While this move may not have any issues,it is so rare to have accomplished this all in one turn I would certainly not exercise my planning based on having this happen with every TF
Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger »

is this versus the AI? or versus another player?

I've no problem with the AI getting a few 'bonuses' - it needs some help sometimes! it certainly makes some stupid mistakes at other times!!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”