Ground Strike Selectively Unavailable

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Larry Smith

Ground Strike Selectively Unavailable

Post by Larry Smith »

I have a situation wherein the Soviets and the British both declared war upon Persia [right before Italy could activate Persia] and yet, while I did make certain to remove all the forces the Soviets had on their frontier with Persia from Sentry status, their air units are unavailable for Ground striking the Persian cavalry. Thus, I missed the opportunity during the surprise phase. The British got their easy landings along the coast, but the Persian Cav is still organized. I did not notice the problem until the next Allied phase.

I just wish to know if there is a rule I am missing. I aligned Persia to Italy, but Russia is not at war with Italy, yet that should not matter, as Italy had no problem attacking Greek units when it was neutral and I had aligned Greece to the CW, which of course was at war [just not with Italy]. So I am thinking this may be a bug, or maybe just a glitch.

I shut down the game, and then I went back to an earlier phase, but the Soviets were still unavailable for Ground strike. They are in range - I made sure of that.

I have included the file [I am using the most recent patch, too - the 2.1.03 that came out 09Nov15]
Attachments
GroundStrikeDone.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
AlbertN

RE: Ground Strike Selectively Unavailable

Post by AlbertN »

Are you sure you did not disabled the phase (did not checked the save though) and therefore is skipped by default?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Checked the save game and the USSR does not have the ground strike phase skipped.

I clicked the green button to end the CW Ground Strike phase, the game advanced to the Russian Ground Strike phase and all three planes were available to fly and ground strike the Persian Cav.
Paul
Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

I'll try again, but when I posted, the USSR flag was greyed out, and after ending the CW phase, it went to the rail phase, not the Soviet strike phase. It may have been just a glitch. Yesterday I experienced the game shutting itself down during some of my reloads.
Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

Just tried both saves I used, and as before, right after the CW strike phase, it went to the rail phase, skipping the Soviets, even though the a/c are available. And I've never asked to skip a ground strike phase - not even for the Chinese.

Tried again, this time going back to the Declare War phase, and it still refused to let the Soviets ground strike the Persian Cav. The air units are not being ignored - they were available for Naval Air missions during that phase.
Finarfïn

Post by Finarfïn »

It's maybe not a big thing but is the weather on your target allowing air mission ( unlike storm or blizzard)? Are they in range?

Fin
Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

There are no range or weather concerns. There is supply. I have an HQ there for them. Some are in supply range of Baku. The weather is clear, and has been [in the relevant zones] for all impulses through the entire March/April and May/Jun turns. The Soviet aircraft in question are available for other missions [naval air], and for rail-moves. For some reason, they will not ground strike the Persian units, and those units are organized. I was able to attack the Persians with the Soviets, so there the problem did not bother me. I've shut the game down and restarted, and tried multiple auto-saves yet the problem persisted. I did everything I could think of except reboot my computer.
The problem persists, but its not a game killer - I just moved the unit about during the Italian turn and then back into its hex when it only had one MP left, so it was left disorganized. Then I added [as Air Support] the bombers I would have used to strike it with - making sure they would have succeeded, of course - and that way they were left disorganized, and the Soviets were able to push further in after killing a disrupted, out-of-supply unit.

Elsewhere, I noticed for the last two turns that the Chinese FTR will not intercept anything in range of it [2 hexes], even though it is supplied and organized. Chinese interception worked just fine in the early stages of the game. However, this is a rebuilt unit, so maybe Chiang's people scammed the engines to power their espresso machines, or something.

Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Larry Smith

There are no range or weather concerns. There is supply. I have an HQ there for them. Some are in supply range of Baku. The weather is clear, and has been [in the relevant zones] for all impulses through the entire March/April and May/Jun turns. The Soviet aircraft in question are available for other missions [naval air], and for rail-moves. For some reason, they will not ground strike the Persian units, and those units are organized. I was able to attack the Persians with the Soviets, so there the problem did not bother me. I've shut the game down and restarted, and tried multiple auto-saves yet the problem persisted. I did everything I could think of except reboot my computer.
The problem persists, but its not a game killer - I just moved the unit about during the Italian turn and then back into its hex when it only had one MP left, so it was left disorganized. Then I added [as Air Support] the bombers I would have used to strike it with - making sure they would have succeeded, of course - and that way they were left disorganized, and the Soviets were able to push further in after killing a disrupted, out-of-supply unit.

Elsewhere, I noticed for the last two turns that the Chinese FTR will not intercept anything in range of it [2 hexes], even though it is supplied and organized. Chinese interception worked just fine in the early stages of the game. However, this is a rebuilt unit, so maybe Chiang's people scammed the engines to power their espresso machines, or something.

This is a bug in version 2.1.0.4.[:@] I fixed it for 2.1.0.5, which is probably why the beta testers can't reproduce it.

The bug has to do with major powers at war with minor countries but not at war with the major power controlling the minor country. The situation you describe fits that profile. I ran into it with Germany wanting to ground strike the Poles on the firs impulse of the first turn.

I'll release a patch later this week. I prefer to fix a few items at a time, rather than just individual bugs. So, let's see what else is reported for 2.1.0.4 this week and I'll get a Hot Patch out for the weekend.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Larry Smith

Post by Larry Smith »

Okay. Thanks!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes I had beta version 2.1.0.5 when I tried it. So we know the bug is fixed, anyway.
Paul

Return to “Tech Support”