Bombard = Diabolical = Convenient

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jacozilla

Bombard = Diabolical = Convenient

Post by jacozilla »

So previously I held back using bombard to take out AI empires, even when I planned on exterminating them via complete takeover anyways, not so much because of the diplo hit - I'm with machiavelli re: better to be feared than loved vs 4x AI - but because of the nuclear dmg to planet quality rating.

So I laboriously used troops to take out/over AI planets, then I noticed that even using extermination level bombardment, the planets recover pretty fast. Even without building a terraform facility, a typical planet say ~80% with AI race that gets taken down to like 50-60% after you exterminate them, will recover in what seems to be barely a few years.

I guess the half life of radioactive fallout in future tech is really, really short.

Anyway, my 2 cents and tip for anyone that was like me avoiding bombardment due to lowering planet quality is go for it, the planets rebound really quick even without terraform facility, and lot quicker with it. Although tbh given how fast it rebounds to the normal max before you bombarded, I don't really think even the terraform facility is needed or worth it less you are swimming in cash anyways.

So now except for a few high pop worlds I plan on taking over and keep the inhabitants alive as workforce to build a spaceport hub, it's a lot easier to take out AI empires by bombarding most planets, exterminate them as competition, and then just settle the planets you want with colony ships. It does lose out a bit on the population gain but honestly the time saved seems worth it vs one by one taking out with invasion troops.
Cruis.In

RE: Bombard = Diabolical = Convenient

Post by Cruis.In »

Or make them your subjugated subjects :)
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I wish both reputation and quality repair was moddable.Both are laughably fast.
jacozilla

Post by jacozilla »

With caveat my sample size isnt that large given not much play with disasters enabled before, but planet quality due to disaster seems to rebound lot more slowly than from bombardment. Disaster dmg seems worth it to build terraform facility vs bombard it seems quick enough with or without facility help.

Rep wise, I've never seen mine recover - once i hit diabolical, i stay there through rest of game. Although i guess my continuing harrassment of AI doesnt help. But its their fault really. They build a mine in my territory, that's just asking for nukes.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”