Pelton (GHC) vs KWG (WA) GHC Victory

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Peltonx

Pelton (GHC) vs KWG (WA) GHC Victory

Post by Peltonx »

I have been keeping 1 game of WitW running, last guy went afk 30+ days.

So started up one vs KWG and MRfloppy.

Standard stuff:

Server game.

1943 -1945 Campaign

FOW and FOM
Locked HQS
No Eastern Front Box
30 day rule = no turns in 30 days by one player the other wins by default.

Standard Settings

Past AAR's

Pelton(Axis) vs S2_Tanker Axis Victory Resigned
Pelton vs meklore61 Turn 72 VP: -617 Axis Victory Resigned
Pelton(Axis) vs Baelfiin Axis Victory Resigned
Pelton( Axis) vs carlkey58 Axis Victory Resigned
Pelton(Axis) vs Jajusha Axis Victory (Resigned)
Pelton(Axis) vs DicedT Axis Victory (Resigned)
1943-1945 Campaign Pelton(Axis) vs Belphegor Axis Victory
Pelton vs Hermann Axis Victory (Resigned)
Pelton vs Sandy Axis Victory (Resigned)
Pelton vs liquadsky WA Victory (Resigned)

The other 7 games other people did the AAR's or they resigned early or disappeared/ 30 day rule.

Good luck men.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
KWG

RE: Pelton (GHC) vs KWG (WA)

Post by KWG »

As this is my first VS. human War, I hope I can provide even a little of a challenge on the field of battle. There is a very different feel to things, as compared to the AI. Let me know if I can drop back in and explain my defeats.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

That's curious. My first non-AI game was against Pelton too. [8D]
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

That's curious. My first non-AI game was against Pelton too. [8D]

I did not do the AAR, but you did-added to the list.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

RE: Pelton (GHC) vs KWG (WA) turn 20

Post by Peltonx »

WAs invaded Italy!!

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (256.27 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

XIV Corp drive back invaders some and hope to seal off beachhead.

Troops are rushed to the Gustav Line.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (254.86 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

The lines hold at the Anzio Beachhead and Gustav Line is fully manned, Patton seems a little short on fuel as he was unable to exploit his victory.

The logistics chain was in place before invasions, so as long as lines are static supplies will not be an issue.

Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (277.54 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

WAs invaded Italy!!

The WA waited until November (turn 20) to invade mainland?

What do the naval interdiction numbers look like off the beaches? Are you contesting it at all?
Allies having to go a long way in the rain is a nice equalizer for the Luftwaffe.

Axis abandon Sardinia and Corsica per your usual?
The logistics chain was in place before invasions, so as long as lines are static supplies will not be an issue

Have the WA gone after your Italian rail network (railyards, not rail interdiction)? Fill us in a little on what happened the first 20 weeks of the war. I presume both sides weren't just twiddling thumbs...
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Turn 20 is definitely late; Germans get a bunch of reinforcements in Oct/Nov, so Allies are really better off with a shallow invasion in September than waiting....just my opinion. That's with EF Box off.

The spot chosen too was not the best; too many hills against the beach that can be used to pin it. North of Lido is a better idea.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Turn 20 is definitely late; Germans get a bunch of reinforcements in Oct/Nov, so Allies are really better off with a shallow invasion in September than waiting....just my opinion. That's with EF Box off.

Not just German reinforcements, weather and the daylight window are now working against the Allied air power as well.
Interdiction values generated by airstrikes are modified by a certain percentage due to the number of hours of
daylight based on the month as follows:
Month ___ Jan Feb Mar Apr May_ Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
% Modifer -20 -10 _0_ +10 +20 +30 +20 +10 _0_ -10 -20 -30
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Seminole
WAs invaded Italy!!

The WA waited until November (turn 20) to invade mainland?

Yes

What do the naval interdiction numbers look like off the beaches? Are you contesting it at all?
Allies having to go a long way in the rain is a nice equalizer for the Luftwaffe.

I only contested landings for 3 turns as weather was poor, so I figured I save them for France.

Axis abandon Sardinia and Corsica per your usual?

Yes
The logistics chain was in place before invasions, so as long as lines are static supplies will not be an issue

Have the WA gone after your Italian rail network (railyards, not rail interdiction)?
Fill us in a little on what happened the first 20 weeks of the war. I presume both sides weren't just twiddling thumbs...

Standard invasion of Sicily, then Sardinia then Italy.

Yes he is bombing railnet ect, but it has little effect as depots are in place by turn 3.

His bombing of Germany is standard Ruhr and Subs and railnet. I am handling LW basicly same way as before with a few tweaks.

KWG seems to have a good handle on the WA air game, invasion mechanics ect.

Solid player.

I am using basic strategy I have always used
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

The spot chosen too was not the best; too many hills against the beach that can be used to pin it. North of Lido is a better idea.

North of Lido I had all my panzers ready + FZ in key hexes so beachhead can be very quickly bottled up with allot of LW close by.

I defend north to south. Its easy to see where best area for WA's are. He landed in safest spots.

Anzio landing I simply don't bother pushing back into sea as it is hard for me because of hills, but north of that I can quickly wall of to the beachhead with strong SS divisions.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

RE: Pelton (GHC) vs KWG (WA) turn 23

Post by Peltonx »

More WA divisions arrive at Gustov Line.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Yes he is bombing railnet ect, but it has little effect as depots are in place by turn 3.

I'm really curios to see how the V1.00.44 changes work out.

"Now, there is a percentage chance equal to the railyard damage that the amount shipped to a railyard depot will be divided by 10."
+
"Formula Adjustment – (Section 14.2.3) the 50 hex range limit for using railyard capacity for movement is changed to a 30 hex limit."

From Cassino to the Po is about 30 hexes. If he decimates those railyards south of the Po he should be able to force you to start drawing down those stockpiles.
My opponents don't seem to go for the railyards favoring railway interdiction and useless B-17 ground interdiction against rough terrain, etc.

1/3rd of WA bombing was going after the supply network, but I'm not seeing anywhere near that ratio from my opponents.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

1/3rd of WA bombing was going after the supply network, but I'm not seeing anywhere near that ratio from my opponents.

I think its because a lot of allied players want the immediate reward of casualties &/or disruptions. I agree, hinder resupply and the rest takes care of itself. Particularly as in Italy, with the Allies you have to play a very cautious slow game in any case?
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

Agree about going for railyards, but I also target ports as I assume that if they are in supply they will also contribute. In fact I don't do anything with Strategic/15th Air Force until I think ports and railyards are pretty well done for.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

The WA's have 22+ divisions on Italian mainland that have been reconed. This is good, anything over 20 is a net positive for Germany.
The more divisions tied up down here the better.

WA's manage to take a hex, but are unable to push through the 2nd line of defense.

Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (262.53 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

No attacks this turn.

I am starting to prep for Southern France and Northern Italy invasions. I have more then enough troops in place to stop a 30 + division attack.

Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (250.45 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I'm really curios to see how the V1.00.44 changes work out.

"Now, there is a percentage chance equal to the railyard damage that the amount shipped to a railyard depot will be divided by 10."
+
"Formula Adjustment – (Section 14.2.3) the 50 hex range limit for using railyard capacity for movement is changed to a 30 hex limit."

From Cassino to the Po is about 30 hexes. If he decimates those railyards south of the Po he should be able to force you to start drawing down those stockpiles.
My opponents don't seem to go for the railyards favoring railway interdiction and useless B-17 ground interdiction against rough terrain, etc.

I simply use the WitE work around, air drops.

Bomb the rail lines all you want.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Devonport

Agree about going for railyards, but I also target ports as I assume that if they are in supply they will also contribute. In fact I don't do anything with Strategic/15th Air Force until I think ports and railyards are pretty well done for.

Both you and loki are right but there are always work arounds, testing stuff AI vs AI never puts the spot light on work arounds. Which is why play balance HvH is generally way off.

What your saying will work, but time is the key as with WitE.

Defend north to south and logistics south to north. Sure at some point it will matter but it be June 44 and no ones going to care about Italy by then.

There is so much play with EF box off.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “After Action Reports”