ASW patrol - ignore unfriendly targets?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ColonelMolerat

ASW patrol - ignore unfriendly targets?

Post by ColonelMolerat »

I'm playing a mission in which there's an unfriendly sub (I'm to hold fire until fired upon).

My helicopter has detected it, and buzzes it, flying just overhead, unless I mark it as neutral. Marking it as neutral means my helicopter will carry on patrolling the rest of the area.

Is there any way to mark a contact as unfriendly (so I know it's there, and it's a threat), but stop my helicopters from hovering over them (ie, tell my helis to go back on patrol).

Thanks!
Kushan04

RE: ASW patrol - ignore unfriendly targets?

Post by Kushan04 »

Right click on the contact and mark it as unfriendly. They should then go back to their patrol. Be aware that if they are the only platforms tracking it, you'll lose contact and get an ambiguity zone (yellow circle) around it with a time have when you last had contact with it.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I don't think you can mark the contact as unfriendly and have the helos ignore it as such. You could either move the patrol/prosecution zone so that the sub is no longer in the zone (you would also need to ensure that 'investigate outside patrol zone' is off), or mark the contact as neutral. If you mark the contact as neutral you could rename it to distinguish it from other contacts.

I think the default behaviour is actually useful, as it would mean that the sub is tracked but not engaged. At the moment it seems that detecting and localising a sub is a little too easy due to a probable bug ( tm.asp?m=3953614 ), but once that's fixed, losing contact with an unfriendly sub would be a very bad thing indeed.
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Kushan - When marked as unfriendly, the heli just hovers over it, and won't got back to its patrol.

Apache - Yes, marking it as neutral and renaming it was the only solution I could find. It was a bit annoying (there was *a lot* of traffic in the area, so it was tricky to find later on), but I suppose you're right. On a normal mission, I wouldn't have wanted to lose it!
Gneckes

Post by Gneckes »

Right now, Unfriendly means a contact is treated the same Hostile in all ways EXCEPT for actually attacking- so an Unfriendly contact will indeed be tracked/investigated.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”