This game is freaking amazing

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
balto

This game is freaking amazing

Post by balto »

I know nothing about this era and I never play games prior to Civil War. I bought this last week (the new one, Campaigns) to kill time before Civilization Rising Tide comes out this Friday. I actually bought the Medieval Dark Ages (whatever it is called, and I just hate that as you can see in my post) to kill time but it sucks.

This game is outstanding. The rules are well written, the AI is the best. I am trying to scare up some PBEM.

I cannot be specific because there is so much I love about this game. If you are on the fence about this, jump off and get it.

Best turn-based game I bought in a long time. Thanks for making this.
Alan Sharif

RE: This game is freaking amazing

Post by Alan Sharif »

Possibly my favourite Matrix title, I kid you not.
A Sharif
Dino_SWE

Post by Dino_SWE »

I agree. The best tabletop wargame experience for PC in a looong time. There is some room for further improvement but overall a very solid title. And with the sound mod its even better.

Very satisfying gameplay, and fits the PBEM multiplayer model quite well.
Leibst

Post by Leibst »

Indeed the AI is one of its stronger points. It took me several tries to win the first scenario.
Designer of AGEOD & HQ English Civil War, Thirty Years War and España:1936
Designer of Battles For Spain and Libertad o Muerte!
https://hqwargames.com
CB60

Post by CB60 »

Wait, you actually managed to beat the first scenario of the Italian Wars? Dang, that's the one I just can't crack.

But yeah, this is a great game, very satisfying as each battle presents you with a different tactical challenge.
Symple

Post by Symple »

I so agree with everyone. Really a challenging, but nice game.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

The 'Shadow of the Shogun' is every bit as good. If you have not tried it yet you have much more gaming pleasure to come.
A Sharif
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Looks to me that if the campaign layer contained some enhanced military considerations e.g. lines of communications/logistics and enough complexity where "auto resolve" would be an option say 10% of the time to speed progress, the developers might have a cool niche. That is, a nice balance between the tactical and strategic layers where campaigns take a < week to complete compared to Total War, for example. Devil in the details. But. That could lead to a campaign layer on top of something like Battle Academy WW2.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
stevemk1a

Post by stevemk1a »

Yes, very nice game. Just bought it tonight and am finding it quite addictive. Good job guys!
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

Got it yesterday with the 30% off coupon, started the tutorial scenario and I'm affraid I've become addicted [:D]
It's so easy to pick up, the rules are clearly explained and am quite impressed by the AI so far as when you make a mistake it'll take advantage of that.

Like the OP, I know very little and just the basic jests of the time period but this game will surely change that, kudos to the devs.
[&o]
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

+1
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

I bought this on sale just two days back. Haven't played it much at all yet though so can't say much. Ever play HPS Renaissance? Standard John Tiller design but with pike and musket units.

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/M ... n/ren.html
Thronfolger

Post by Thronfolger »

Hi guys!

Just bought this game: it's amazing [&o][&o][&o][&o]

Thanks for your recommendations!
Gamer1745

Post by Gamer1745 »

I would like to try it
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

It is excellent, and there are absolutely loads of free user made scenarios to download, making it excellent value. I would highly recommend purchase.
A Sharif
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I just wish the campaign system was better. Everything else has been pretty good.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

must admit with everything now added, still the best in the series imo
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

must admit with everything now added, still the best in the series imo

In the series of what? Field of Glory II is the best now if we're talking about the engine. [:D]
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Byzantine Games rulez!
Being a RTS (ntw3-ntw) player for years, now i am old and not good at mouse clickfest anymore for the battlefileds [:-]
So found these PBeM tactical 3 games just on time i guess ^^
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

These are the types of games and AI that should set the standard for future wargames. Best gameplay, doesn't take a year to play them out and a very challenging AI. Only wish they had come out sooner and in more era's of digital wargames. Now we need a good civil war version and and WWI version and a WWII version. A campaign version for Field of Glory II would be nice also.

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”