Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2017 10:16:57 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punisher007

Excellent videos thanks. A little fast to read bubbles notes but looks like Video #3 Tutorial is best. Thanks!

There will be more coming, when I have some extra time.

By the third one, I finally figured out the best read rate!

(in reply to Punisher007)
Post #: 271
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/17/2017 11:52:23 PM   
berto

Despite the recent focus on CS' 2D modes, does this mean we are downplaying 3D? Not at all! If we don't show any 3D screenshots, it is because the 3D revamp is not yet so far along, is not quite screenshot worthy. We have a few surprises in store for fans of the game's 3D also!

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 272
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/18/2017 7:28:46 AM   
Big Ivan

What? Me worried that no screenshots of 3D were seen?

No not at all!

Well, maybe a little concerned but still holding at DEFCON 4...

Blitz call sign Ivan the Big.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 273
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/18/2017 2:42:14 PM   
Punisher007

Will the 3D revamp come with the 2.0 Update?

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 274
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/18/2017 3:54:27 PM   
berto

Yes, definitely. It will be part of what makes it v2.00.

(in reply to Punisher007)
Post #: 275
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 9:39:11 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: casebier

excellent. agree step up the pace.

A little update on progress on East Front III, then

A while ago I started to create a set of scenarios under an "Arctic Front" umbrella, depicting some of the battles fought on the Finnish front over the period. Here's for instance a DAR of one of the scenario design work in progress.

With the latest developments on terrain and biomes availability (a topic of its own for some future Coder / Developer Diary for sure), and the arrival of the latest Zoom-in views, I am updating the maps I created at the time to the latest standards. So much more variety in vegetation for instance.

I want to point out the latest developments on waterways though. At the time, the wide river Vuoksi needed to be displayed as full water hexes. No more! Berto created two new river types, the in-hex Major River and River type. (There's the in-hex Major Canal and Canal as well, more of the latter in future Vietnam sneak peeks).

Here's how the Vuoksi area map looks like at the moment, with the latest Map Editor. We replaced the old teeny tiny toolbar with a complete new one, with all the terrain types now available, and with icons double the size the previous ones. Our eyes ain't getting any younger, so a needed tweak for sure

Here's one of the river bends being replaced as in-hex Major Rivers:

Attachment (1)

Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: East Front III WORK-IN-PROGRESS
CS: Vietnam WORK-IN-PROGRESS
CS: Middle East 1948-1985
JTCS: West Front 2.0 * East Front II 2.0 * Rising Sun 2.0

(in reply to casebier)
Post #: 276
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 9:51:39 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

With the latest developments on terrain and biomes availability (a topic of its own for some future Coder / Developer Diary for sure), and the arrival of the latest Zoom-in views, I am updating the maps I created at the time to the latest standards. So much more variety in vegetation for instance.

Let us move to Scenario Editor next and open the map there. There's more options available now, all these implented in the 2D side of the game now as well. For instance the four seasons, under the Trees options, Normal (summer), Brown (Autumn), Barren (winter and early spring, late fall) and Snow (winter for cold climates) all work under 2D now as well.

Here's the same view, but with fields not yet ploughed, and Mud season on:

Attachment (1)

Campaign Series Legion
---

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 277
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 9:59:04 AM   
Crossroads

What about the winter setting, then? After all, this region saw some most bitter fighting over the Winter War as well. Brr, can you feel the cold

Map terrain tile features for Snow still missing in part, for instance SnowTrees, so did not toggle that option yet. Still some stuff to finish, as always. But the neat thing with these maps is they can be used for scenarios over several periods, so once the ground work is there it can be reused to depict other battles as well. For instance, at least three major battles over this region, one in 1940, other one in 1941, and third one in 1944.

Attachment (1)

Campaign Series Legion
---

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 278
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 10:22:33 AM   
Big Ivan

Ahhh Yes, its good to see the New East Front is coming along.

Like the new tool bar arrangements especially in the map editor, bigger tiles and of course more terrain to chose from. Nice, very nice!

So with these new terrain types and more weather conditions I'm assuming there will be some change to unit mobility. Just thinking
how difficult it is for men, horses, wagons, trucks and cars to move in deep snow. If the snow is deep enough even tracked and half tracked
vehicles will have some difficulty. Ski troops (Finns & Russians) on the other hand love deep snow! They should get around pretty good.

Thanks for the sneak peek Crossroads!

Cheers!

Blitz call sign Ivan the Big.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 279
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 10:40:44 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

Ahhh Yes, its good to see the New East Front is coming along.

It is! For us too

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

So with these new terrain types and more weather conditions I'm assuming there will be some change to unit mobility. Just thinking
how difficult it is for men, horses, wagons, trucks and cars to move in deep snow. If the snow is deep enough even tracked and half tracked
vehicles will have some difficulty. Ski troops (Finns & Russians) on the other hand love deep snow! They should get around pretty good.

You are correct indeed. The movement is now specific to all six conditions, from Normal via Soft and Mud to Frozen, Snow and finally, Deep Snow. All unit types can, and has been, be adjusted per their capabilities under each ground condition.

And yes, Ski troops continue to have a field day under snow conditions

Campaign Series Legion
---

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 280
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 11:10:37 AM   
Crossroads

One of the new features worth giving a shout perhaps is the addition of Night specific map tiles.

This is how CS: Vietnam Bootcamp 1 would look like, if it would be night instead. There's a Night Vision Green fog over the terrain, now.

It looks (even!) cooler in 3D, unfortunately, we're not quite yet there to show 3D screenshots. Not long to go, hopefully!

Attachment (1)

Campaign Series Legion
---

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 281
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 11:45:54 AM   
berto

Sharp-eyed readers will note that for the first time in the Campaign Series hexside waterways -- MinorRiver (aka the old legacy River) & Stream -- interconnect with full-hex waterways -- Water, Shallow, MajorRiver, River, MajorCanal, Canal. Before, there was always a shoreline or thin strip of land separating them, never the twain shall meet. Now and in future, they can join together!

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 282
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/19/2017 4:45:56 PM   
casebier

this is great.

has the group thought about releasing something like 'official' scenario packs. i mean even with
allowing users to make scenarios there has to be an advantage with spending so much time with
the system...

winter war scenario pack

kursk

kharkov whatever...

like Command is selling scenarios based on current real world situations...really nice i think. i've
bought and will buy every one they release. you should think about it if not burned out.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 283
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/21/2017 7:03:12 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punisher007

Will the 3D revamp come with the 2.0 Update?

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Yes, definitely. It will be part of what makes it v2.00.

Early days to show anything from the new 3D Zoom-In view, but just to prove it is real here's a little Desert hamlet, in actual size, with the Night time visuals:

These particular graphics tiles have not been redone yet, you see them as they are with the current placeholders. 3D Zoom-In View, at 150% of the current zoom-in view. It is quite a change, isn't it.

To compare, here's the current 3D 100%:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 2/21/2017 7:10:48 AM >

Campaign Series Legion
---

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 284
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/21/2017 3:06:08 PM   
phoenix

Love the Finnish maps. Can't wait to play on them. The natural look to the waterways is superb. But, is the town graphic (for Rauhala, for example) the finished product or wip? Looks a bit pixelated, no? And seems to exactly fill the hex - ie; it's a very hexagonal design, a little at variance with the more natural design of the new waterways. Still better than what we've had before, of course.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 285
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/21/2017 3:33:14 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Love the Finnish maps. Can't wait to play on them. The natural look to the waterways is superb. But, is the town graphic (for Rauhala, for example) the finished product or wip? Looks a bit pixelated, no? And seems to exactly fill the hex - ie; it's a very hexagonal design, a little at variance with the more natural design of the new waterways. Still better than what we've had before, of course.

Thank you for your kind comment! With Map Editor, you csn see Rauhala as a village, while with both Scenario Editor shots thats Rubble.

Rubble is giving me some grief for sure as how to best picture it on these maps...

Campaign Series Legion
---

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 286
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/21/2017 4:25:31 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Village graphics must be rather hexagonal to accommodate the roadways. See for example Niemela here. Roads enter from the N, SE & SW. For any town, roads could enter from up to all six different directions, and course through the center of the hex. We need hexagonal village graphics for that reason if nothing else.

Similarly with Urban & Suburb hex graphics. The road network within such hexes must be able to interconnect naturally with roads feeding in from up to six different directions.

Other graphics considerations also tend to shape terrain graphics hexagonally.

(The same things could be said about other terrain types such as Forests, Orchards, etc., where roads can run through them, and which also tend to take on a hexagonal shape.)

We try to achieve naturalistic graphics effects as much as possible, but with this graphics engine, compromises are often necessary.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 287
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/21/2017 5:03:15 PM   
phoenix

Thanks, both. But now I realise they were rubble it's different. Sorry, I thought that was the village graphic, for some reason. Looks fine as rubble. Keep it!

And it wouldn't look so hexy in a shot with the grid switched off.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 2/21/2017 5:04:57 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 288
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI