Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jagdtiger14

Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Although the list is more about quantity than quality, there are some surprises in the rankings:

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-ar ... ked-2015-9

Notice the first photo says F-22 with a F-35...should say F-22 with an F-15.

Also, not mentioned, Egypt recently purchased the small carriers France was going to sell to Russia, and purchased enough aircraft to outfit a third (so are they buying a third from France?).
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
GaryChildress

RE: Ranked: World's 20 strongest militaries

Post by GaryChildress »

Interesting they list total number of submarines instead of total number of aircraft carriers. I sort of wonder if the conventional aircraft carrier has sort of gone the way of the battleship.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

So few countries have carriers, it may be seen as not worth having all the zeroes in the listings. They stress over and over that aircraft carriers boost the ranking by a whopping amount. There are many countries who want carriers, and few who can afford them.

There is nothing like a carrier for power projection and that is important in Credit Suisse's rankings.

Chuck
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

They credit Japan with 4 aircraft carriers - bit misleading there.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Actually, have you seen the Japanese carriers? They call them "Destroyer Carriers"...necessary for some reason I think because of their Constitution? They use helicopters, but are capable of fixed wing aircraft. I would say they are probably the 2nd most advanced carriers in the world behind the US carriers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... royer.html
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Actually, have you seen the Japanese carriers? They call them "Destroyer Carriers"...necessary for some reason I think because of their Constitution? They use helicopters, but are capable of fixed wing aircraft. I would say they are probably the 2nd most advanced carriers in the world behind the US carriers.

Thanks for that link Jagtiger14, I had no idea that the Japanese had such carriers. One question though: as seen in this picture, the Japanese Flag (Rising Sun I think it is called), I was under the impression that is was no longer allowed to be flown due to it being the Imperial WW2 Flag of Japan. Or is this simply a Navy Flag?

Image[/img]
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

warspite1

Don't know what the reason is for the Japanese, but in the 70's when the
Invincible-class were being built, for political reasons they were known as through-deck cruisers [8|].
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

One question though: as seen in this picture, the Japanese Flag (Rising Sun I think it is called), I was under the impression that is was no longer allowed to be flown due to it being the Imperial WW2 Flag of Japan. Or is this simply a Navy Flag?

Cut from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_Flag

"After the establishment of the Japan Self-Defense Forces in 1954, the flag was re-adopted and approved by the GHQ."
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
wesy

Post by wesy »

The JMSDF also uses ship names from the IJN - Atago & Kongo Class DDG (both using Aegis) - One of three countries that use the technology in terms of quantity in numerical order (US, Japan, S. Korea). Japan's subs are some of the most technology advanced diesel-electric subs in the world. The Soryu class subs is/was in the running for procurement for Australia's Navy.

The JMSDF is also the fifth largest naval power. Known for their ASW capabilities (lessons learned from WW2).

What a better combo - USN/JMSDF - two navies with long experienced naval traditions (The UK would laugh about long naval tradition though ;))
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen

Return to “General Discussion”