Question about planets

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

elmo3

Question about planets

Post by elmo3 »

Back playing after a long layoff and have a question about planets. Is there any screen that shows all discovered planets and their type? Reason I ask is that when trying to decided what colonization module to build it would be helpful to see the information on one screen rather than having to search every system manually. Obviously if there are 10 marshy swamp planets nearby and only 1 continental then I'm going to build the marshy swamp module first. Hope that makes sense.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Shark7

RE: Question about planets

Post by Shark7 »

The expansion planner has all that info. It can be filtered in a way to show planets by type or by distance from your capital.

Remember the color keys:

Green planets are in a system you have already colonized
Yellow Planets have a pirate or monster threat, or a potentially hostile independent population
White Planets are colonizable, but not in your owned systems.
Red means it is either our of range, not colonizable, or has a hostile independent population

I use the expansion planner for determining which planets I will colonize, since it is far easier to arrange them by either the type I am looking for, or the ones that are closest. Of course, later in the game, the list can become quite long, so that could be an issue for you late game.

Also, since planets in green can not be colonized by another empire, I back-burner these in favor or getting systems I don't already own in order to push my borders and gain control of more territory.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Thrake

Post by Thrake »

Bottom left button around mini map can also help. It combines a view of the galaxy and a system of your choice and you can also have systems highlighted depending on planet type.
HerpInYourDerp

Post by HerpInYourDerp »

The 'g' key is the shortcut for the aforementioned galaxy view popup.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK, thanks. Will look at the expansion planner again. I only thought it showed colonizable planets which would not help since I'm looking for which colony module to build next. So I need to see all planets that are discovered but are not yet colonizable. Will try the "g" shortcut as well.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

There is no way to filter based on planet type. So the colony lists will only shows spots you can currently colonize.

Thus, to find that juicy 100% desert colony prospect while you have no desert colonization ability/tech is a very manual and boring task. A task better not done.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

By using the "Resource Targets by Galaxy Priority" setting on the pull down menu of the expansion planner you should be able to locate all planets, regardless of type, you have discovered in the game to date, as long as they have a resource. Using the "All Resources" setting you can then sort by either the filter heading "Type" or "Quality" to priorities what you are searching for. Granted, even if a plant has 100% quality, it will not be displayed if it contains no resources, so you will not find everything. Still much faster than manually attempting to locate targets. As Bingeling pointed out, though, without the ability to colonize, it becomes a rather abstract exercise. [:)]
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Thanks. I wold do the exercise to tell me which colony module to research next so as to give me the most/best planets to colonize.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Spacecadet

Post by Spacecadet »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

There is no way to filter based on planet type. So the colony lists will only shows spots you can currently colonize.

Ahhhh, sure there is :)

Expansion Planner third column header - Type
CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”