DL are they acurate or have FOW

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cavalry Corp

DL are they acurate or have FOW

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Dear All,

Is the DL level I see on a TF at the end of a turn ( I am playing 2 day PBEM) the same as my opponent sees?
Seems not as I think I have a TF without being detected my opponent claims is detected. Or is that radio signals - assume the owner of the TF does not know that

Are DL then subject to FOW?

I can imagine that could be true in that he may see you without you seeing him - just wanted to check on thoughts here.
Lokasenna

RE: DL are they acurate or have FOW

Post by Lokasenna »

Your own TFs will display to you what the DL is on them, so you can see how well your opponent sees them.

Your opponent will not see the DL on the TFs - but if you've played enough, you can kind of tell when you've got a good sighting on ships and when you don't. More information is displayed with higher DLs, for instance.

On bases, on the other hand, you can both see exactly how much DL the non-controlling side has on the base.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

DL is a kind of FOW built in under the hood.
sfatula

Post by sfatula »

Not clear to me. So, if my TF shows a DL of 2/4, does that means it's definitely a 2? So, I will always know, not subject to FOW, if I am spotted and how well, i.e., there is no chance the enemy could spot me and me not know it? Manual is not clear on the two numbers, at least the way I read it. What is 2/4? I think I saw one 10/11 or maybe it was even 11/10.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It means that he has a DL of 2, but a max of 4. DL 2/4 is slightly higher DL on your guys than DL 2/2.

If he has "no" DL on a TF but it is spotted, it will simply say "TF Spotted" when you mouse over.

If you pay attention to the DLs on your TFs, you will always know when you are spotted and when not.

Edit: with one small exception... if you pay close attention during the replay, you can sometimes see TFs for each side that you do not see when doing your orders - DL does not drop off all at once, so you might see them moving around as actions happen during the replay. This is particularly common around subs.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Remember that DL is constantly changing. It resets. And the 2/4 you are seeing from last turn is changed as soon as a spotting aircraft flies over on the next turn.

That's why sending a dedicated recon squadron to the same target you are sending your bombers is going to increase bomb accuracy and damage as a result of the larger increase in DL you get from them over the DL boost you get form the bombers doing their own inherent organic recon.
Hans

Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Talking about ships here

My TF did not have DL I could see but my opponent sys he had spotted. I wonder if 2 day turns added a DL on day 1 and took it off on day 2 - I can only see the result at the end of day 2.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Talking about ships here

My TF did not have DL I could see but my opponent sys he had spotted. I wonder if 2 day turns added a DL on day 1 and took it off on day 2 - I can only see the result at the end of day 2.

Same scenario applies to ships. The 2/4 from last turn is a good indicator of the degree of info your opponent may have from last turn.

It has no bearing on what your DL will be on the next turn. That is dependent on how many different NAV search planes overfly and spot it THAT turn.

DL resets to ZERO at the beginning of each turn.

Agree with the assessment of the impact of your 2 day turns.
Hans

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
ORIGINAL: cavalry

Talking about ships here

Same scenario applies to ships. The 2/4 from last turn is a good indicator of the degree of info your opponent may have from last turn.

It has no bearing on what your DL will be on the next turn. That is dependent on how many different NAV search planes overfly and spot it THAT turn.

DL resets to ZERO at the beginning of each turn.

Agree with the assessment of the impact of your 2 day turns.

DL does not exactly reset. There are 2 pieces to it - current and maximum. DL does drop off throughout turns, and there is the 'TF spotted' that will show up even if DL is technically zero.

Check in Tracker for verification that DL does not drop completely each turn. The TFs data set and then history on an individual TF.

You can also see this on bases. If you recon a base upto DL 9 or 10 out lf 10, it does not instantly drop to 0 when you spot the recon missions.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Do not misinterpret what is presented by Tracker.

1.  DL is not the same as MDL.  They are different concepts sharing the same word "detection".  It is the DL which has an impact on combat performance.  The MDL determines what is displayed on the map.

2.  The DL on task forces is reset to zero at the start of each night and day phase.  Tracker cannot tell what was the DL in the middle of a turn.

Alfred
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Do not misinterpret what is presented by Tracker.

1.  DL is not the same as MDL.  They are different concepts sharing the same word "detection".  It is the DL which has an impact on combat performance.  The MDL determines what is displayed on the map.

2.  The DL on task forces is reset to zero at the start of each night and day phase.  Tracker cannot tell what was the DL in the middle of a turn.

Alfred

Apologies, I was brief since I am on mobile for the moment. I was trying to say that just because DL resets completely, the MDL does not.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”