CV-59 Fire!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

CV-59 Fire!

Post by Footslogger »

Here is a video of the USS Forrestal on fire!

Ever heard of Condition Zebra?

Interesting video and would like to hear from vets who served then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht431DrIMNU

spence

RE: CV-59 Fire!

Post by spence »

Condition Zebra closes all hatches and valves that might affect the watertight integrity of the ship. The Forrestal fire was ALWAYS a part of EVERY damage control course of instruction in the early 70s. In so far as the USN is concerned EVERY SAILOR is a Damage Controlman (a rating); from E-1 to O-10.

Pertinent to this game, that contrasts significantly to the IJN which had only certain of its sailors concerned with damage control. Hits which cause "heavy casualties in damage control parties" on IJN ships are very significant.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Parshall and Tully's Shattered Sword explains the absolutely dismal state of the IJN's damage control system. In the USN, virtually every sailor gets SOME DC training, in the IJN only a select or "deselect" few. As Spence indicates if they took a hit, it was a disaster.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: spence

Condition Zebra closes all hatches and valves that might affect the watertight integrity of the ship. The Forrestal fire was ALWAYS a part of EVERY damage control course of instruction in the early 70s. In so far as the USN is concerned EVERY SAILOR is a Damage Controlman (a rating); from E-1 to O-10.

Pertinent to this game, that contrasts significantly to the IJN which had only certain of its sailors concerned with damage control. Hits which cause "heavy casualties in damage control parties" on IJN ships are very significant.

We were shown the video at OCS in 1980 as part of DC training. The part where the fire hose team was obliterated was memorable.

I had a close friend in HS whose father was on the flight deck that day. He sustained severe burns to his face and upper body while standing in burning fuel throwing live ordnance over the side together with a team of enlisted men. He was decorated, medically retired, and ultimately killed by the fire, years later, through other means. If one was close to the Navy in those years that fire never goes away.
The Moose
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Here is a video of the USS Forrestal on fire!

Ever heard of Condition Zebra?

Interesting video and would like to hear from vets who served then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht431DrIMNU

warspite1

Thanks for sharing. I never knew that 'Seconds From Disaster' made an episode on this incident.

I saw a clip some years ago (no sound or dialogue) and I could not help thinking that the guy running to the blaze armed with just a fire extinguisher was stupid - brave yes - but stupid. Why would he do that?

This documentary makes clear exactly why he did what he did and Gerald Farrier was about as far from stupid as you can get - and immensely brave too. Amazing heroism [&o][&o]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I think I will be in the nursing home, senile (not that it runs in my family) and be able to tell you what to use on a Class ALPHA, BRAVO or CHARLIE fire. Doesn't matter WHAT your rating is, you get a significant amount of Damage Control training.

And the last time I was ship's crew was 28 years ago this month.
Bill Goin
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Just about every sailor had to watch that film whenever we had a "safety stand down" which was either once a year or immediately following some kind of accident/incident. In 1980 I was in a reserve squadron watching the film with a pretty "salty" AO1 (aviation ordancemen 1st class)when he started naming some of the people in the movie. Including the Chief who ran to free the trapped pilot while spraying the fire extinguisher ( unfortunately it was the "Purple-K" type , and as a result of this fire it was found to have "flash backs". If you'll notice that right after the chief put out the fire , and ran through, it flashed and flared back up all around him). "Doug" later explained that he should have been arming some the planes but since he did a double watch the previous night his chief had let him sleep in. He ran forward when he heard the 1st explosion (the Zuni) even before general quarters was sounded. It turned out to be a good thing , as his berthing was under the flight deck where the 1st of the 1,000 pounders went off. [X(]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”