What's Next for JTCS?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Noypi53

What's Next for JTCS?

Post by Noypi53 »

With the release of the ME JTCS this month, what's next in the pipeline for the series?
berto

RE: What's Next for JTCS?

Post by berto »

That's under intense discussion among the Dev Team right now. In all likelihood, the Indochina-Vietnam game will be next.

But let's midwife Middle East out first.

We are, by the way, dropping the JT in JTCS. With so many existing and planned changes to the game system (including many foundational changes that you, the players, don't directly see), it's officially just The Campaign Series going forward.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

I like that designation change.[;)]

So going forward would it be acceptable to say:

CSEF-Campaign Series East Front
CSWF-Campaign Series West Front
CSRS-Campaign Series Rising Sun

and last but not least:
CSME-Campaign Series Middle East

or just CS for all of it?

BTW down the road is it possible to mesh all the individual games into one download and just call it CS? [:)]
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
berto

Post by berto »

No, no more bundling. The opposite in fact.

The original Matrix JTCS bundle was/is an astonishing bargain -- 700+ scenarios for the "unbelievably low price" of $30. Given the one to two years of intense effort that goes into the making of each one of these games, bundling at a dirt cheap price is a business model we can't support going forward.
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: berto

No, no more bundling. The opposite in fact.

The original Matrix JTCS bundle was/is an astonishing bargain -- 700+ scenarios for the "unbelievably low price" of $30. Given the one to two years of intense effort that goes into the making of each one of these games, bundling at a dirt cheap price is a business model we can't support going forward.

AAAAA....the good old days...we as wargamers were pretty spoiled back then. As long as something is a complete package with support and communication i have no problem paying for it. I will buy the middle east game and the vietnam game but i'm a WW2 guy so i'm really looking forward to you guys porting the stuff back. When that time comes i hope there is some way to donate to the cause for all the work in porting the stuff back.

Since the 1.00 is out is Jason going to start the AAR?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Since the 1.00 is out is Jason going to start the AAR?

As soon as we get the installer back from Matrix/Slitherine and it works as it should be, I'll be starting the process of making some video tutorials.

Once they are ready, I'll start posting them in the Middle East forum, of course.

Jason Petho
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

What are the plans to bring the WWII series to ME standards e.g. the unit/icon graphics, AI, etc.?
berto

Post by berto »

After our next game, Vietnam (or Indochina/Vietnam), current plans are to develop and release (an unbundled) WF 3.0, a much revamped game, brought up to ME standards, and more so. It will take a while, though. EF 3.0 & RS 3.0 will follow later as standalone games, in and among other new game releases, in due course. That's The Plan.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

After our next game, Vietnam (or Indochina/Vietnam), current plans are to develop and release (an unbundled) WF 3.0, a much revamped game, brought up to ME standards, and more so. It will take a while, though. EF 3.0 & RS 3.0 will follow later as standalone games, in and among other new game releases, in due course. That's The Plan.

Yes, now that we got this far we came to conclusion there's no way turning the clock back.

While there was compatibility between CS 1.x and CS 2.x in a manner for instance you can open a 1.x scenario with 2.x editor and tweak it, or with the game exe to play it, this is no longer available for 3.x backwards. So, what we thought would be a 2.x UPDATE in fact will be about building everything up to latest standards instead.

With most of the graphics files altered in 2D, Platoon IDs converted to six digit format (from five digit format), all the OoB files need to be rebuild, all the scenarios need to be rebuild, and for the latter especially conversion tools need to be finished. In fact, much nothing but the 3D bmp and bit files will move forward as-is. Everything else needs to be reconstructed.

It will take some time, it will happen one game at a time, and it will all be totally worth it when it is done.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
budd

Post by budd »

Thanks guys[&o]....would you just sell me the new damn game please[:D]. If i might inquire how far along is the Vietnam game?

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Thanks guys[&o]....would you just sell me the new damn game please[:D]. If i might inquire how far along is the Vietnam game?

When it is ready? [8D]

Given the release cycle bw MCS2.02 and ME1.00 was something like 13-14 months, please expect something similar.

We've still got quite an extensive wish list of new features for the CS:VN release, so that will take some time besides just adding the OoBs and scenarios there.

After CS:VN it just might be that future titles would be a bit less work than what has gone in for MCS2.x, CS:ME1.0 and CS:VN1.0 (as we expect). Maybe.

Besides, CS:ME 1.00 is not even out yet!

edit: Nope, it was longer between MCS2.0 and CS:ME1.0. I looked the MCS2.02 Update that was 10/2014, but 2.00 update was already 2/2014. So 18 months rather than 13. So a wild guess would be between a year and year-and-a-half? We'll keep you updated of course. Once the CS:ME 1.00 is safely out of the doors that is!
---
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Still looking forward to Vietnam, particularly France's involvement, which I'm very much interested in. Jason, I hope you still have the Dien Bien Phu maps and photos I sent, way back. If not, let me know, and I'll resend them. I have a number of books covering the French era, so come the day, I'll will be happy to help with any queries ( equipment, OOBs etc ) if I can.
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Noypi53

Post by Noypi53 »

Am a bit disappointed that the CS:WWII will need major updates to get to ME standards. I was hoping it could be done thru patch updates. That's progress I guess.

On the positive side, this will keep the CS fresh. It will also mean that a lot of scenario builders will be busy for years to come!!

Eagerly looking forward to the CS: ME release!
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Thanks Noypi53

If there would have been an easy route believe me we would have taken it!

They'll be like brand new games once we get there [:)]
ORIGINAL: Noypi53
Eagerly looking forward to the CS: ME release!

So are we!
---
budd

Post by budd »

I was going to post this in the ME forum in repsonse to a post that popped up about the future of CS. Just thought here would be a better place and I didn't want to piss on the parade, I.E. the successful release of ME

I have no problem with the ME price point. Regarding the uncoupling and revamping of the older titles I've been on both sides of the issue, meaning being fine with it and having a problem with it, CO anyone, I bought HTTR 3 times[:)] and was fine with it. the Close Combat games, not so much and i think those were new stuff with old engines, old problems. I think at the end of the day it just depends on how much you enjoy a product and basically to each their own, no wrong side in this one.

I do have one question the team could set my mind at ease with about the uncoupling. I have no problem buying the revamped EF, WF, RS, just tell me there not going to be paired down but revamped and sold with all the content they currently have. As you mention there's a lot of scenarios and campaigns. Tell me there's not going to be a base game and to get all the content of ES we would have to buy base game and add-ons.

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Yes, it is our intention to keep the existing scenario stock up to speed with the new titles. We will need to come up with an extensive set of tools to convert them, for at least the Platoon database will see a complete overhaul from existing set.

Also, when we get to WW II titles, we've got not only Middle East but also Vietnam and possibly Korea too (need to jug it in at some point), so within the concept of Living Game, all the new features that have come out will be fitted into the WW II titles.

New 2D zoom levels, new air model, AI changes, event editor, ... what not. New scenarios too, of course.

It will be quite a humongous task. It will all be worth it we believe. And hope [:)]
---
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Just bought Middle East today and looking forward to seeing the improvements.

I like the sound of a CS:Vietnam and CS:Korea, and can't wait for the improved editions to the WWII game.

Would you consider at some point making a CS:WWI?

Thanks... Jeff
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff123
Would you consider at some point making a CS:WWI?

Assuming the games are successful, yes, WW1 is on the list. There will be a Cold War and a NATO War game prior to that though.

U.S. Civil War is also on the list (back of the list at the moment).

Jason Petho
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Wow, that's awesome! I'd buy all of those...

Keep up the great work, and thank you. :)
budd

Post by budd »

soviet/afgan on the list

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”