Unit "real" names on map

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

ceitein

Unit "real" names on map

Post by ceitein »

Hi there,
In the many years I've been playing the Campaign series, I have wished I could see each unit's "real" name on the screen icon or the side info box. By that I mean read "1/Malay Constabulary" rather than "Native Irreg Ptn". It's a small thing, but for me it heightens the reality of scenarios (which is why I like the 3D format rather than counters).
I know you can use the "find org" option under the status to find units by their names.
But is there a mod or command which can show the names on screen permanently?
2nd Lt Blackham,
29th Fighting Kiwis
Jason Petho

RE: Unit "real" names on map

Post by Jason Petho »

But is there a mod or command which can show the names on screen permanently?

Unfortunately, no, there's not.

I am not even sure that is possible to do. Interesting suggestion though, you should add it to the Wish List.

Jason Petho
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

A neat idea indeed [:)]

The current method for displaying unit organization is to select the unit then to hit F2 key for the Unit Handbook dialog, which displays the information. But you probably already knew that, right, given you asked how to display them permanently.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

At least two problems with this otherwise very good idea:

[*]Limited display space, so the inevitability of long unit names slopping over. Which leads to ...
[*]The need to carefully micromanage (count characters for) unit-by-unit short-form, abbreviated names.

But yeah, I'm with ya. I'd like to see this feature somehow implemented too.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Me too, good idea!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”