New Scenario for Testing NF9.2 Changing of the Guard

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Gunner98

New Scenario for Testing NF9.2 Changing of the Guard

Post by Gunner98 »

Next instalment in the Northern Fury series.

This one is playable by both sides but is much more challenging from the NATO side.

As NATO, you need to relieve the tired and depleted Enterprise CVBG with a fresh Carl Vinson CVBG.

As WP you have enough resources to sink a carrier - perhaps two!

As always, comments, critiques and suggestions welcome.

Spoiler for the NATO side in next post should you run into difficulty.

Update V1.1 18 Sep 15 Changes:

• WP side is now playable
• Switched out the two Knox class FF’s for more current DB items
• You now get points for Sov Subs sunk
• The point error for NATO subs sunk is fixed
• The O Boat issues should be fixed
• There is a Prosecution zone for the Bluefish patrol area
• Added 50x Sidewinders – you still need to watch expenditures
• Reduced Standard missiles a bit (total reduction of 8 missiles – should make it a tad more interesting)
• Adjusted Iceland CAP a bit to help protect the vulnerable heavies
• Moved the Sov tankers back a bit
• Added Sov tankers for steady state CAP, the ones that were there were on a surge and were probably drained by the bombers leaving the fighters to go thirsty
• Tried tinkering with Sov Subs to make them less likely to go to flank – interested in observations on this one.

Enjoy

Attachments
NF 9.2 Cha..ard V1.1.zip
(405.98 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Gunner98

RE: New Scenario for Testing NF9.2 Changing of the Guard

Post by Gunner98 »

Spoilers for NATO side:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note: As the NATO player - you have a decent chance of saving the Enterprise - the missile magazines have been adjusted up a bit and things tweaked. I have managed to get her out safely 3 of my last 4 tries - averaging less than 10 Standard missiles and less than 20 Sea Sparrow remaining, so I adjusted them down a bit[:D]. Play this very conservatively and defensively or you will have 5-7,000 sailors swimming in the North Atlantic.[:-]

More specific spoilers below:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

WRA has already been set to fire only at missiles. Keep a tight grip on your CAP, don’t get involved in needless dog-fighting with the flock of Flankers sent your way as a distraction. Turn South ASAP and poor on the coals. Re-arrange your formation a touch based on the threat. Send at least one, probably two and perhaps three squadrons from the Carl Vinson north to help out, you will need to play with the tankers a bit and keep a tight grip on the reinforcing Ftrs so they don't burn all their fuel. Time your jammer launch properly. Time your tanker launch properly. Reinforce your CAP judiciously but don’t get caught short.[:-]

Ohhh.

And ther are subs out there as well

Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

I wasn't able to play as the USSR outside of the editor in the initial release, I think "CPU-only" needs to be clicked off.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Thought I caught that one. Thanks, will fix
Airborne Rifles

Post by Airborne Rifles »

Can't wait to get to this one!
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1733838503?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
And our web site:
http://northernfury.us/
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

OK, 6 hours into this and Ive lost

1x DD 963 Spruance [VLS]
4x F/A-18C Hornet
2x F-14A Tomcat
1x F-14D Tomcat
2x SH-60B Seahawk

Also one of Tico's, the Anzio is @ 98.8% damage. the Enterprise, moving at flank, is now 750 miles away from the replen. area, dodging a few subs and a twin torpedo salvo so far along the way.

The Replen. TG is 430 miles from the replen. area, but I just received that my 2 Knox FF's are out of fuel and dead in the water ( I saw your bug report) Im chalking this up as KGB sabotage efforts!![:)]

The Carl Vinson is 600 miles from the assembly area and has dodged a sub also.

MPA assets in the replen. area ASW have located and destroyed a few subs.

So far ive inflicted the following losses.

7x MiG-31 Foxhound
1x PLA-671 Victor I [Yorsh]
1x PLA-671RT Victor II [Syomga]
2x PLA-671RTMK Victor III [Shchuka]
1x PLA-945A Sierra II [Kondor]
5x Su-24M Fencer D
3x Su-24MP Fencer F
2x Su-24MR Fencer E
20x Su-27S Flanker B

I noticed that no points are awarded for sinking subs, was this intentional?

Another good NF scenario Gunner.

Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Thanks for that - round one to you [:D] Your loses are fairly consistent with my last tests, I doubt if the Anzio will make it, it was usually the Yarnell for me but loss of one DD, one CG and 6-10 AC was about the best result the US side can expect I think. Can you recall if you shot down the 20 Flankers or if the ran out of fuel? Also could you give me a count of SAMs left in the Enterprise group? Did you use the spoilers provided, should I put something similar to that in the brief?

When I was playing with the Knox in 9.3 I noticed that there are a lot more DB entries for it now than there used to be; changed it up and the problem seemed to go away. I'll do the same here, hadn't noticed it in this scenario, probably not paying enough attention. Thanks for the catch on the points for Subs - will fix that

Thanks for the feedback - don't let your guard down.[:D]

B
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

Hi Gunner!

Of the 20 Flankers, 2-4 were downed by fuel Im pretty sure.

I have 1-RIM 66E6, 14 RIM-7M, and 12 RIM-7P.

I read the spoilers after the first few hours went by, but I dont think it needs to be in briefing, the tips are really common sense, I just wasnt using it at first. [:D]

Also the enemy subs come at me at flank and makes them easy to spot. They still get real close for comfort at times.

The Anzio sitting in the water dead, except for sensors, is making a good jammer platform and stationary radar site[:D]

Im using my dead Knox's as a sonar decoy, banging away, hoping to lure some subs toward them. I made a prosecution area for the Bluefish PZ (there wasnt one and my MPA's would chase subs well away from the AO) to cover my Replen. TG's path and the dead Knox's.

Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

1 Standard Missile left [:D] That's what I like to hear![8D]

Good point on the PZ and I'll check on the Subs. Have made them as aggressive as I could, perhaps too much so.

I think the Knox issue might be a DB problem because I roughed this scenario out a long time ago.

Look forward to further updates. Thanks

B
Galahad78

Post by Galahad78 »

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

1 Standard Missile left [:D] That's what I like to hear![8D]

Eager to get to this scenario [:D]
[:D]
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Ok, I am seven hours into the mission (without reading the previous post btw) and have been withdrawing to the SW at 25 knots for six of those hours. No hits on any of my vessels so far and have sunk five subs in return. I got lucky in the beginning and had two Hornets in position to intercept some of the the Backfires before they could fire their Kitchen sinks at me :) I was also able to intercept most Fencers before they could fire so I got away clean and still have about 70 SAM missiles left.

I like this scenario, another excellent job done Gunner :)

SIDE: NATO
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
2x F-14D Tomcat
6x F/A-18A Hornet
3x F-14A Tomcat
3x F/A-18A Hornet
3x F/A-18C Hornet

SIDE: WP
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
1x Tu-16RM-1/2 Badger D
9x Tu-22M-3 Backfire C
18x Su-27S Flanker B
4x Tu-22PD Blinder E
3x Su-24MP Fencer F
2x Su-24MR Fencer E
19x Su-24M Fencer D
9x MiG-31 Foxhound
2x PLA-945A Sierra II [Kondor]
2x PLA-671RTMK Victor III [Shchuka]
1x PLA-671 Victor I [Yorsh]
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Interesting! The first wave has passed and I've got some breathing space I think, so time to update the log.

Given the sub threat I decided to get my units off the continental shelf ASAP. The last thing I need is something Russian creeping along the shallow sea-floor where I can't see it. So the Canadian group heads SW at speed and then curves around to meet the Monongehela group and skirt the shelf around E then NE to the replenishment zone, where the Bluefish will be patrolling.

The Vinson heads more NE into the deep water, and will then bend eastward towards its patrol zone SW of Iceland, where the Pittsburgh will be patrolling. Enterprise will turn about instead of swinging south, and will follow much the same path in reverse. This way my MPA will do double duty, sanitizing the same path for both carrier groups. SSN750 will also patrol the path, while SSN 757 will head out to meet the Seattle group, which will also keep to the deeper water as long as possible as it heads in to St John's.

With courses set, and MPA on the way, I spread out my ESM aircraft from the Enterprise and put up a CAP with a jammer. It doesn't take long before my F-14s are jousting with the Mig-31s, and then I start detecting recce aircraft and jammers to the N and NE. I manage to get the recce planes, and many of the initial Mig-31s, and then I start detecting a dense swarm of aircraft coming in from Iceland, and I realize that a modest CAP will soon be overwhelmed. Before long I have literally every missile-bearing aircraft that's ready up to meet the threat, and more jammers (Blinders... hmmm...) are lighting up far off to the NW. I send some of my force towards them, but the majority goes towards the major threat coming in from Iceland.

The horizon is dark with Su-27s, and I can't get a good look at what's behind the jammers, which are shutting down my Sparrow-armed planes and semi-active homing SAMs. Thank God for the HOJ ability of the Phoenix! I manage to kill enough of the northern jammers that I can fight and see (although I never do get that damned Cub), and then I start working on the ones to the NW, but as I do anti-shipping missiles start streaming towards me through the Blinder jammers. I should have concentrated NW! [:(]

By the time I get the last of the jammers I can only shoot down a handful of bombers before they launch, but my pilots have their revenge on the empty bombers, and manage to kill half of them as they head back home. Hopefully that will ease the pressure tomorrow. Fortunately the missile stream is somewhat spread out, and a combination of Sparrows, AMRAAMs and Phoenixes manage to thin it out so the SAMs can handle the rest. That uses up almost all my Phoenixes and 60 of my SAMs, and my reduced magazines now hold 19 SM-1s, 48 SM-2s, and 10 SM-2ERs (plus the Sea Sparrows), but my task force is safe.

Meanwhile I've realized that the pack of Su-27s is just a fighter sweep, and I manage to give way and avoid most of it, attriting the edges where possible. Then as the Flankers retire the Su-24s show up, spread out in a long stream, perfect for all my fighters which have been shooting at the ASMs. My fighters are out of long range missiles, but they still have all their Sidewinders which are just the thing for Su-24s, and the Fencers die like torpedo bombers in the Pacific. If they'd arrived earlier, at the same time as the Su-27s and the bombers, then the situation would have been horrific.

Meanwhile the planes from the Vinson start showing up along with the tankers from Goose Bay, and it's a damned good thing too, because the next wave of Mig-31s is already showing up. I try not to engage those too directly, and send forces skirting around the W and S flanks of the enemy to look for vulnerable support and recce aircraft. Earlier when I was chasing the bombers I had spotted some large aircraft 2/3 of the way to Iceland, and they turn out to be tankers! Phoenixes work very well on those lumbering targets, even at extreme range, and the Vinson's F-14s try to concentrate on them almost exclusively. Of course this means risking the Mig-31s, and some of my pilots never come back, but they claim a whopping 20 tankers (and 1 AWACS!) by the time we disengage. That's got to put a hole in anyone's air support plans, and I hope they can't just fly in replacements tomorrow to support another bomber wave.

ESM spots some Be-12 radar up by Iceland, but clouds of Mig-23s and Mig-29s come boiling up any time I get near the island, so I stay the heck out of those and give up on my plan to hunt the flying boats that might threaten the O-boat. There are two more sweeps by strong Su-27 forces, and a number of recce Badgers need to be splashed while I spend a lot of fuel to avoid the Mig-31s, but no further major engagements. It's now dusk, and I'm hoping for a calm night to rest my pilots while I retire.

During the air battle three Russian subs made an appearance - one Sierra at each carrier group, and one more Victor up north, The southern Sierra launched a salvo of torpedoes at long range, to no effect, before it was sunk, and the two northern subs were sunk before they could fire. I'm definitely worried that I'm going to stumble onto more.

The Enterprise's AAM magazines are nearly empty now. My last few Phoenixes, AMRAAMs, and Sidewinders are all on my aircraft, and I'm down to 50 or so Sparrows in the magazines. The lack of Sidewinders was particularly problematic, because with none of them in the magazine the Air Ops window won't let you ready any AA loadouts that include them! At one point this left me with over 100 long range missiles, and no way to ready any of them. So what I've been doing is forcing a ready in the editor, manually subtracting the proper number of missiles from the magazine, manually setting the proper ready time, and then manually subtracting the missing Sidewinders from the aircrat as they launch. It's cumbersome, but it's the only way to simulate what would happen. (Can you imagine for a moment, when enemy bombers are bearing down on the task force, that some prim bean-counter in the ordnance section is refusing to let anyone have Sparrows because he didn't have Sidewinders to go with them?) I'm not sure if you had intended the low Sidewinder numbers to act as a limit for scenario purposes, so sorry if I've messed with the balance.

So hopefully a calm night, and then trepidation about another bomber raid tomorrow! Time will tell...

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

Haha! As a parting shot, the Enterprise sends two Tomcats up the Greenland coast, with a tanker and EA-6 in attendance. Hooking in from the west they get three flying boats, an AWACs and a jammer Cub (and scare the crap out of another one with a near miss), before getting away scott free. Take that! [:D]

(Have you noticed I'm enjoying your scenario?)
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

OK - back in the land of internet after a week in the bush. Glad your enjoying this one. The sidewinder count was not intended but probably only became apparent because you used all yours killing Fencers[;)]. Will add a few.

You guys are doing well with this one, thought it would be tougher but seems OK. I think I'll work on the timing of the Fencer strike but they need to refuel fist so it is bound to be strung out.

Thanks for the input

B
Maromak

Post by Maromak »

Also enjoying this scenario like others who have posted above. Enterprise is still afloat although I have lost a few major and minor ships plus a SSN.

I have noticed a minor scoring bug and some previously mentioned db bugs.

Scoring bug is +75 points for loss of NATO Sub/SSN. This should be -75.

Other issue is two FF1052 Knox class ships have run out of fuel in the Mono group. Perhaps these could be substituted for another class?

Thanks for creating this great scenario.
Attachments
scoring.jpg
scoring.jpg (494.21 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Certa Cito
Maromak

Post by Maromak »

Further to my last post, it appears a lot of WP aircraft are mysteriously crashing which I am only aware of due to my score increasing and the scoring log. None of these aircraft were shot down by the NATO side.

I have attached a screenshot and savegame file.
Attachments
error.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Certa Cito
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Thanks for the scoring catch. Will Fix.

The problem with the Knox class has been run down. 1) I built the skeleton scenario a long time ago, 2) Major DB rebuilds have overtaken the original platform and 3) I have only done shallow rebuilds - so the new fuel usage model compared to a DB item which is using an old fuel value is causing the problem. Will certainly fix this one up.

Should be back at my main computer this weekend and will do the fixes.

Thank you for your input guys.

B
AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

All Task Groups report safe in their destination zones sir!

Things definitely died down the next day. Submarines made their appearance, were detected by sonobuoys and surface ships, and were duly sunk. My subs never did hear or engage any enemy subs. In the air, continued exploitation of the W flank of the Russian air effort finally got rid of their jammers, tankers, and AWACs. The Vinson's aircraft made several large attacks with ECM support in order to defeat the Su-27s and Mig-31s, which went more easily as the Russian support aircraft were whittled down. (Finally figuring out there were some sneaky Badgers doing covert ESM work in behind the Mig-31s was definitely beneficial.) The Russians never spotted the Vinson, so the second Fencer attack never launched.

Looking through afterwards I noticed that the O-boat is assigned to the Vasco de Gama's old patrol mission, probably left over from an earlier scenario. I'm not sure if that changes anything? The O-boat also ran out its batteries and came to a halt submerged partway through the scenario. Other than that things looked like they worked as intended.

Thanks again for the great scenario.
magi

Post by magi »

I have started this you might want to keep playing… I really like the scenario so far a lot.... I believe I will swap the Knox is out with the editor… So I can just carry on.....
magi

Post by magi »

Zulu 10:01:37

in the first few hours the air battle so intense.... the shock of the mass of red aircraft rapidly advancing south like a wave of death.... i turned my BARCAPS back..turned and ran....

only a few decisions saved me from being overwhelmed and destroyed...
in the beginning to get more battle space... i directed the enterprise group south...
the red flanker sweep rolled down on after burn and had to RTB so i only had to engage a few of them and was able to conserve my missiles for the strikers in the center....
i placed 4 f14 on my flank ne of my BARCAP... and two f14's to the nw... those two saved my ass as they destroyed three of the red jammers which reveled the strike run just before asm launch.. they were attrited and the strike was a failure...
moving f14's and support aircraft up from the south....

i thought i was going to get creamed by this point.... but i have ended up doing very well...
really bloody good fun....

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”