Night-Time

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

Ironclad

Night-Time

Post by Ironclad »

I believe that night turns are 2 hours each but is there any clue on screen that you are into night when it first arrives. The Williamsburg 2 player has sunrise 6 and sunset 20 so I assume that's 8 pm which I have now reached but there seems to be no indication of that on screen. Is that correct?
Gil R.

RE: Night-Time

Post by Gil R. »

At night the number of hexes into which you can see is greatly reduced, to just one or two. The screen might also get darker, though I can't remember. But the main thing is reduced visibility -- which, if you're on that road through the woods approaching Williamsburg might not be all that obvious, since you already have little visibility.

So the game doesn't announce that it's nighttime? That used to be in the "Forge of Freedom" code, but Eric might have disabled it, since BAB#1 has no overnight scenarios. (Well, not until this one. Our next release will certainly need overnight code.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Thanks Gil. I wasn't certain because there was no darkening of the screen but have just checked and in the open visibility is just one hex so night must have fallen. Are any night effects included for example reduced movement? On the assumption there wasn't we are playing night time house rules which include half movement but we don't want to double up if this is already taken into account.

The movement allowances shown look like normal day time movement under rain - advanced and march infantry columns have 22 and 27/29 points with cost of clear 2, muddy road 3 and forest 4.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Since the BAB#1 battles were not overnight we originally planned to have no night-related code/features, but then I created the Manassas 2-player scenario, which requires starting at 2:00 a.m., so Eric added code that would make night turns be 2 hours each and come with a lot more movement points. The same should be happening for this scenario once night sets in. We have a bunch of rules we want to implement for the night hours once we have a battle that took place over two days (Manassas, Gettysburg, Shiloh, etc.), but for now players should use house rules.

Regarding what you are seeing, the movement costs don't change at night (to my knowledge), but the number of MP's would. Though I could be wrong about this, and perhaps Eric has already done something different: after all, the argument could be made that moving at night, especially through woods, should use more MP's.

I'll ask Eric to chime in.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Any chance of that feedback soon, only I have halted play until we know whether night movement is already setup for the scenario or we need to use the house rules.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Not ignoring your question... Eric said he has to step through the code to see what he did.

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”