Victory condtions & Halftracks

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

osiris_slith

Victory condtions & Halftracks

Post by osiris_slith »

Hi All

I would like to see two changes in JTCS

1-Halftracks
remove the ability of HTs to spot. These are by definition transports and unless they have a infantry platoon in them they should have no spotting capability at all. This should not be confused with weapon carriers like the SPW251/9

2-Victory Conditions
I think scenario designers would benefit from 2 types of VCs

FLAGS ON/POINTS OFF-
Often attacking side players stop attacking because once they have the necessary points they essentially don't need to do anything else while only capturing 5 objectives out of 10. For a great example of this see Road to Oboyan scenario. In this scenario the German player needs to exit his forces but he can force a draw with 5 of 10 objectives not including the exit hex. The reasons why its called the Road to Oboyan is the fact the Germans need to exit the board to get there. Scenarios like this are more common than people realize like Battle is Joined. In this scenario the German player doesn't need to capture any flags and still gets a draw if they do sufficient damage to the Russian forces.

Essentially this option would turn the point system off and it would mean that a player would have to capture flags rather than depend on points to win a game. The scenario designer s could dictate how many flags a opposing player would have to capture in order to win. In many battles the Russians got thumped but at the end of the day still held key objectives (either through numerical superiority, better tactics, luck or German stupidity)..in other words even if you thump the other player if they have all the flags on the map..they win. I know the argument is make the flags worth more but than a lot of scenarios need to have their victory conditions fixed.

POINTS ON/FLAGS OFF
The current JTCS conditions set up

I know that this probably cant be done but one can dream a bit.

rene
Jason Petho

RE: Victory condtions & Halftracks

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: osiris

Hi All

I would like to see two changes in JTCS

1-Halftracks
remove the ability of HTs to spot. These are by definition transports and unless they have a infantry platoon in them they should have no spotting capability at all. This should not be confused with weapon carriers like the SPW251/9
Well, no. Tactics of the time had the platoon dismounting and using the halftrack MG's to support the advancing platoon.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”