Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DBB-C status

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> DBB-C status Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DBB-C status - 8/1/2015 4:27:59 PM   
geofflambert

Any news on the status of DaBigBabes version C? I'm starting to prepare for my next PBEM, which will take a good while, I should think. Are there any changes or corrections in the works that I should wait for?
Post #: 1
RE: DBB-C status - 8/2/2015 2:31:11 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3890979

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 8/2/2015 3:39:02 PM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 2
RE: DBB-C status - 8/2/2015 5:12:05 PM   
geofflambert

I saw that thread, I take it you're saying everything is ship shape. Thanks Monsieur Hebdo.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 3
RE: DBB-C status - 8/3/2015 11:53:29 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Not so fast - Symon's message says that "they" (I assume that means the DBB team) no longer support their scenarios (I assume that is not only "Operation SF" but all other scenarios including DBB) on this forum.

I only know the official DaBabes Website - I suggest that you contact Symon by mail (via link in his profile) to check on any work in progress.

Post #: 4
RE: DBB-C status - 8/3/2015 6:47:16 PM   
geofflambert

I'm afraid I'm in JWE's "weenie peenie" club. I'll just download again from his site. I don't think I can live without DBB-C.

Post #: 5
RE: DBB-C status - 8/3/2015 7:49:22 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Not so fast - Symon's message says that "they" (I assume that means the DBB team) no longer support their scenarios (I assume that is not only "Operation SF" but all other scenarios including DBB) on this forum.

I only know the official DaBabes Website - I suggest that you contact Symon by mail (via link in his profile) to check on any work in progress.

No more support?!?
Why?

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Post #: 6
RE: DBB-C status - 8/3/2015 8:07:14 PM   
geofflambert

I think that means they're going to support the product, just not discuss it in the Matrix Forums. I don't think they're really discussing it on the official site (unless you have an Orphan Annie decoder ring) but I can't believe up to date stuff won't be available for download. Good luck finding out about changes and tweaks the easy way. They've put way too much work into those to limit access (I hope).

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 7
RE: DBB-C status - 8/3/2015 9:06:19 PM   
wdolson

Just FYI, John can't be contacted through this forum because he left about a month ago.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 8
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 10:42:51 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Just FYI, John can't be contacted through this forum because he left about a month ago.

Bill

Ok - I thought that when using the email button in the user profile, the user will receive a notification from Matrix on his email address.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 11:05:14 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

quote:

No more support?!?
Why?

Well, check this thread : http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3889613

John aka Symon is known to be an outspoken person with a hot temper and although he is most often right concerning the issues at hand, his occasionally rough language when voicing his opinions is not compatible with forum policies. In the thread quoted above John locked horns with another forumite, got "disciplined" by our moderator Bill and went through the roof. Well, it's just John being John. We have quite a few forumites with "character" that just need to be treated with tolerance and lenience - nobody is perfect. I'm sorry to see him go and I will surely check the official" DBB site from time to time for updates.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 10
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 2:18:25 PM   
Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

quote:

No more support?!?
Why?

John aka Symon is known to be an outspoken person with a hot temper and although he is most often right concerning the issues at hand, his occasionally rough language when voicing his opinions is not compatible with forum policies. In the thread quoted above John locked horns with another forumite, got "disciplined" by our moderator Bill and went through the roof. Well, it's just John being John. We have quite a few forumites with "character" that just need to be treated with tolerance and lenience - nobody is perfect. I'm sorry to see him go and I will surely check the official" DBB site from time to time for updates.

He'll be back (once his feathers get unruffled).

EDIT: Assuming his feathers haven't been ruffled too badly but I would hope John is made of sterner stuff.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 8/4/2015 3:19:40 PM >

Favorite/Awesome games from Matrix

War in the Pacific/AE
Panzer Corps
Commander Europe at War
Advanced Tactics Gold

Post #: 11
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 4:45:44 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Ok - I thought that when using the email button in the user profile, the user will receive a notification from Matrix on his email address.

I had a peek at the user list and 'Symon' is gone, so no he would not get an email through the forum.

Post #: 12
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 6:10:30 PM   
HansBolter

Since I am the "other forumite" responsible for getting John gone perhaps I should chime in.

If you check my post history you will find that several years ago I was as caustic with spewing vitriol as John.

Somehow I did manage to avoid suspension or banning, pushing things to the line, but avoiding crossing it.

Back in the days when I was active on the UV forum there was a particular forumite from Argentina who unfortunately carried a HUGE chip on his shoulder over his country's embarrassing loss to the British in the Falklands War and never missed an opportunity to denigrate anything and everything "anglo".

Several times a baited him into getting himself suspended and took great pleasure in it at the time.

A while back, after successfully getting myself disliked by a large segment of the regulars on this forum I undertook to reform myself and tone down the level of causticness of my posts.

I did not, however, refrain from criticizing the game design where I believed it was deserving of criticism.

I don't shy away from arguments, but I no longer go looking for them.

John obviously took great offense at some of my criticisms.

He began what started to feel to me like "stalking my posts" in order to blow off his steam in my direction.

I never set out intentionally to offend him or start a street fight with him.

I did my best not to respond to his posts.

I deeply regret what has happened. I did NOT set out to bait him into getting himself suspended or banned or to cause him to leave on his own.

In spite of his attitude toward me I too regret seeing him leave and hope he will return.

I apologize to all of you for the part I played in causing his absence.

Merrill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 10:28:13 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

quote:

quote:

No more support?!?
Why?

Thanks for the explanation...sad news indeed (speaking about his wonderful support, I don't want to take any side on this matter)

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Post #: 14
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 11:03:29 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Since I am the "other forumite" responsible for getting John gone perhaps I should chime in.

If you check my post history you will find that several years ago I was as caustic with spewing vitriol as John.

Somehow I did manage to avoid suspension or banning, pushing things to the line, but avoiding crossing it.

Back in the days when I was active on the UV forum there was a particular forumite from Argentina who unfortunately carried a HUGE chip on his shoulder over his country's embarrassing loss to the British in the Falklands War and never missed an opportunity to denigrate anything and everything "anglo".

Several times a baited him into getting himself suspended and took great pleasure in it at the time.

A while back, after successfully getting myself disliked by a large segment of the regulars on this forum I undertook to reform myself and tone down the level of causticness of my posts.

I did not, however, refrain from criticizing the game design where I believed it was deserving of criticism.

I don't shy away from arguments, but I no longer go looking for them.

John obviously took great offense at some of my criticisms.

He began what started to feel to me like "stalking my posts" in order to blow off his steam in my direction.

I never set out intentionally to offend him or start a street fight with him.

I did my best not to respond to his posts.

I deeply regret what has happened. I did NOT set out to bait him into getting himself suspended or banned or to cause him to leave on his own.

In spite of his attitude toward me I too regret seeing him leave and hope he will return.

I apologize to all of you for the part I played in causing his absence.

Merrill

We have locked horns a couple of times in the past, and your change of attitude has not gone without notice. I am mostly loitering the forums nowerdays - not because I lost my interest on WitP but because the time I have is full of other stuff to do - but I do not think that any debates we had back then would be reproducable now, and were anyways not comparable to some of the more 'heated' debates John participated in.

I have always respected John for his unmatched knowledge on topics involving WWII and WitP and I will always be grateful of what the DBB team added to the game, but no ammount of knowledge on any topic justify the ad hominem attacks the way he launched at people indiscriminately.

Don´t apologize, you don´t need to.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 8/5/2015 1:36:06 PM >

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 15
RE: DBB-C status - 8/4/2015 11:08:28 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

We have quite a few forumites with "character" that just need to be treated with tolerance and lenience - nobody is perfect.

I'm not one of those, am I?

Post #: 16
RE: DBB-C status - 8/5/2015 7:35:50 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
[...]

Hans, we have locked horn ourselves only recently, but nothing in my explanation for Blind Sniper indicates that I designate you as responsible. You are not. IMO the exchange between you and John in the "Dutch" thread was still within limits ("not that sharp and not that personal"), but knowing both of you and forum history, Bill stepped in early to prevent a potential escalation - and John took Bill's 'warning shot' badly and reacted as only he can do. Apparently that was defying the final authority one too many times and got him sacked. Sad story.

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

We have quite a few forumites with "character" that just need to be treated with tolerance and lenience - nobody is perfect.

I'm not one of those, am I?

Yes, gorns are known to be very stubborn and territorial and are vicious fighters. Just don't pick a fight with a human in this forum, or Bill the Metron will intervene !

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 17
RE: DBB-C status - 8/5/2015 10:51:57 AM   
HansBolter

I still regret the discourse I had with you recently.

I haven't yet perfected my efforts to become a better person.

It is still very much a work in progress.

I have come to realize there is nothing to be gained from being mean and nasty to people.

It's OK to disagree, it is not OK to denigrate those who disagree with you.

Even if there is no disagreement, it is still not OK to be nasty to people.

That's a big part of the reason I took Alfred to task a few times for the manner in which he can be condescending and insulting to people.

I saw too much of myself in him and wanted to help him avoid being disliked by so many as I managed to achieve for myself.

I still have to work to avoid the tendency to take shots at people over things I disagree with them on, but I am making an effort.

I appreciate how patient and tolerant so many of you have been with me.

And Mr. Gorn, your "character" is entertaining and adds a degree of levity to the forum that I think we all enjoy.

I have never known you to be mean or nasty and even Kirk realized that neither of those qualities were the source of the conflict between the Gorns and the Federation.

Hans

Post #: 18
RE: DBB-C status - 8/5/2015 12:04:12 PM   
wdolson

On most forums I've been on over the years, debating ideas keeps the forum alive. Personal attacks tend to kill it pretty quickly, or at least turn it into a place few people want to be.

One author I read many years ago pointed out that ideas are the one commodity that grows from passing it around. Debate is one way ideas are tested and good ones get better through cross pollination. Debates on a forum for cutting edge science, or the latest technologies might have more of an impact on the entire world, but many of the people here are trying to come to a better understanding of all the details of World War II (as well as trying to understand this bloody game! ). I knew a fair bit about the war when I came here. I've been digesting books about it since I was 6 and building models of WW II stuff since I was 3, but I've learned quite a bit here.

In any case, it can be a fun pass time to explore the corners of this world of ideas.

Keep up the effort to stick to the ideas rather than the person. Every effort makes the community better and it does become habit after a while. There was a time when I was much younger in which I could be quite harsh. I had trouble making friends back then.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
RE: DBB-C status - 8/5/2015 7:35:01 PM   
witpqs

Sounds like most of us here have more in common than just war games.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 20
RE: DBB-C status - 8/5/2015 10:37:56 PM   
DD696

Some can change, some cannot, and therefore become obsolete.

I have jumped on John many times in the past, but only because of his despicable behavior.

No tears shed.

USMC: 1970-1977.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 21
RE: DBB-C status - 8/5/2015 10:48:52 PM   
vicberg

It's both a good and bad thing. It's such a good game that people get really invested in it. People who get invested, usually get emotional. Then you throw the AFB vs. JFB, history vs. game play and oh boy.

If it wasn't good game, none of this would be happening.

I think Xanax would be a good addition to this forums at time. Or Marijuana, definitely marijuana (no offense meant. I take neither). But Chill. Take a step back. It's a game.

On the positive note, there's scenarios for everyone. More historical, such as stock (scen 1), more radical and less historical. The important part is find the scenario you like, the player you like and have fun. No game is perfect and neither is this, but it's about as close to it as you can get. Except not having a unit auto un-strat when it reaches it target. Hate that. And subs in general, their very existence is an affront to honor and humanity and Gorns, which is why Gorns hate Romulans and clocking devices. Hate them.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 8/5/2015 11:51:20 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 22
RE: DBB-C status - 8/6/2015 12:51:43 PM   
Lecivius

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 23
RE: DBB-C status - 8/6/2015 4:08:33 PM   
pontiouspilot

Wow.....I'm going to miss getting Symonized from time to time! I have always had a wee SM fetish.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 24
RE: DBB-C status - 8/8/2015 3:50:11 PM   
Yaab

Just check before starting the grand campaign, if the scenario is bug free.

Check the two US Corps HQ on Luzon for their TOEs (previously had none) and Bird battalions for correct number of motorized support. Mine had 162 mot support per battalion - a real hell to transport.

I don't think the latest version of scenario 28 has incorporated the fixes.

EDIT: The DaBigBabes site says:
"
"v015: 04/10/15 Error Corrections, Cleanup"

Which errors have been fixed is not explained.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 8/9/2015 6:08:49 AM >

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 25
RE: DBB-C status - 8/26/2015 4:36:30 PM   
US87891

quote:

John is gone. He won’t return. He is working on a book project that will take 3 years to complete. He comes to College Station, every month or so, to consult with the Marine Archeology people and I put him up. We talk.

He still plays, and is a Master Umpire. But our system is so far different from AE that what we do is not portable to the Matrix title. We routinely look at possibilities, but they often require background that is not otherwise available in the commercial game.

I think you must live with what you have. Babes changes to the AE system have been documented fully, so going forward one needs to follow the paradigm if one wants to make fundamental changes. It’s hard and takes a great deal of research and math. You might be rewarded by investing that degree of effort.

Matt

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> DBB-C status Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI