Win10 upgrade issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

Win10 upgrade issue

Post by m10bob »

Yesterday I upgraded to Win 10 and it looks as if I may be the only one with an issue. So far it is only effecting WITP/AE !!..

The game loads fine but when I scroll the cursor to move the mapview it will not budge for a long time.
If I am on a screen like assigning a submarine mission, it seems to work fine. Only issue is the mapscrolling event with my mouse.

Drivers are up to date, mapscroll is set at "0" for the game..I have tried compatibility for Win 7 and Win xp..

HP P7-1235 PC maybe 20 gigs....AMD quad core A8-5500 processor..AMD Radeon AMD7560D Graphics

Appreciate your time....(I have reported the issue to Microsoft..)

witpqs

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

Post by witpqs »

What did you upgrade from? If it was Win 8/8.1 then maybe you already did this, but if it was Win 7 then maybe you need to change your switches. If you don't already have it maybe try -deepColor (I hope that spelling is correct because it is case sensitive).
Theages

Post by Theages »

I upgraded too. Scroll lag is more pronounced than under Win 8.1
Using the "-dd_sw" switch resolves the issue.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Please copy/paste what the entire command switch should be..I upgraded from 7 home premium...TY for the very fast response guys!![:)]

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

These are all the switches I was using for Windows 8/8.1. I haven't fired up the game on 10, but I suspect little change in these.

-altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders

-deepColor is possibly important, and so is -SingleCpuOrders.

These -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire have to do with my screen/graphics card and running in windowed mode.

-altFont -archive -wd are just normal game switches not related to performance.

I agree that -dd_sw might help on some systems, just have to try it to see.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

TY, I will try these..It would be very helpful if the next helper might copy/paste the entire command line as I have serious punctuation and visual issues..Thank you..

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

TY, I will try these..It would be very helpful if the next helper might copy/paste the entire command line as I have serious punctuation and visual issues..Thank you..
First problem is that my game folder might not be located in the same place as your game folder.

Second problem is that my screen/graphic card/resolution specific things are most likely different than yours.

Take care to edit as needed!
"C:\Matrix Games\WITP AE - PBM #1\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

ORIGINAL: m10bob

First problem is that my game folder might not be located in the same place as your game folder.

Second problem is that my screen/graphic card/resolution specific things are most likely different than yours.

Take care to edit as needed!
"C:\Matrix Games\WITP AE - PBM #1\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders

Thank you old friend...The command line switch "-deep color" did the trick....Windows 10 works great with this game and your help resolved all my issues with the mouse....Thank you!!!

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

[:)]
ETF

Post by ETF »

He's good!!
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: ETF

He's good!!

BIG TIME!![&o]

Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

I have Full screen problems.

Using: -cpu4 -multiaudio -dd_sw -f -px1920 –py1040 -deepColor -altFont

Before Windows 10 no problems
Good Hunting
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

Windows 10 ignores -px1920 –py1200 settings in Windows mode too.

I used Windows 8.1 btw.
Good Hunting
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

–py1040 the hyphen looks wrong and should be replaced. For example by copy and paste from one of the other switches
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Rainer

–py1040 the hyphen looks wrong and should be replaced. For example by copy and paste from one of the other switches
A second issue might be, why 1040 instead of 1080? Many screens have a resolution of 1920x1080. 1040 might be a typo.
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

Sorry I have -py1080 I used the wrong line to paste in this post. Thanks!
Good Hunting
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

A second issue might be, why 1040 instead of 1080? Many screens have a resolution of 1920x1080. 1040 might be a typo.

When I use your settings "-altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders"

It works but maximum up to 1440-900 in Windows mode. Higher it wil give the standard resolution.

Full screen is bugged or a no go at all
Good Hunting
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Are you truly wanting "full screen" or windows screen?

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Jaws43

When I use your settings "-altFont -archive -wd -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders"

It works but maximum up to 1440-900 in Windows mode. Higher it wil give the standard resolution.

Full screen is bugged or a no go at all
OK, a few things to be aware of.

You are trying to get full screen to work correctly. My settings (those ones) are tuned for my specific laptop's screen/graphics capability. You have to get the resolution correct for your PC/laptop. With your desktop visible:

- Right click on your desktop.
- Click on 'Display Settings'.
- On the right-hand half at the bottom (you might have to scroll down), click on 'Advanced display settings'.
- You will see a box labeled 'Resolution'. Don't change it, just write it down. BTW, even better if it says '(Recommended)' because that means Windows 10 thinks it is the ideal resolution for your graphics/monitor combination.

Use that resolution (the one you wrote down) for your px and py. That is the place to start!

As far as the other settings go...

• -altFont tells the game to use a slightly larger & different font. Some of us find it easier to read, some do not.
• -archive tells the game to make copies of each turns report files (combat report, operations report, combat events report, SigInt report) in the folder SAVE/archive (under the main game folder), and each file gets the game date encoded into the file name. This is useful to look back and, for example, is required for the Intel Monkey player aid.
• -wd tells the game to run in windows mode (w) and (for AI games only) to make daily game save files in the /SAVE/autosave folder.
• -deepColor is a game graphics setting sometimes helpful depending on hardware/drivers/OS version.
• -px(followed by number) is horizontal resolution.
• -py(followed by number) is vertical resolution.
• -fixedArt tells the game to not use certain artwork animations/rotaions. It is useful if your graphics capability is not powerful enough to display those visual effects without them jumping. In full screen more I do not need it.
• -noFire tells the game to not use firing/explosion/etc. animations. It is useful if your graphics capability is not powerful enough to smoothly paint the screen during the combat animations (the whole right-hand side of the screen jumps on me). I use on both my laptop and desktop when running the game in windowed mode. In full screen mode I do not need it.
• -SingleCpuOrders tells the game engine to use just one CPU core during the orders mode. By default the game will use multiple execution threads to try and speed things up, but on some systems the (older) method that the game uses sometimes results in things slowing down. There is also a switch that you can use to tell the game engine to use a specific CPU core when running the turn (combat resolution/replay) that takes the form "-cpu1" or "-cpu2", or "-cpu3", and so on.

• -dd_sw I don't have it there, but someone earlier mentioned this switch. It tells the game to emulate Direct Drive (I might have that term slightly wrong) graphics in software instead of relying on Direct Drive implemented on the graphics card/chipset in the system. Apparently some Direct Drive hardware implementations have bugs and using software emulation instead gets around that problem.

Hope this helps.

Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

@m10bob I want full screen cause thats what I used when I had Windows 8.1.

But Full screens fails thats why I try Windows mode too.

@witpqs

My screen runs at 1920-1080.

When I use just -w -px1366 -py768 the game runs fine.
When I use just -f -px1366 -py768 I get

Anyyhing above -w -px1366 -py768 will give the standard resolution.
Anything with -f fails

Thanks for helping me guys I realy appriciate it.
Good Hunting

Return to “Tech Support”