Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The air game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> The air game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The air game - 7/15/2015 7:34:35 AM   
ChuckBerger

Really enjoying this game very much... except for the air war. I gather I'm not alone here, but it feels really ahistorical, with my Luftwaffe getting squashed.

I've tried attacking Russian cruisers with my stukas and heinkels, but even with no Russian interceptors I lost 40 planes and only sank a single torpedo boat. 40 planes to flak from a few rusty Soviet boats. I was expecting something a little more like Crete - some aircraft losses, but plenty of cruisers and destroyers sent to the bottom.

And then there's the VVS swarms of fighters, decimating any strike I try, and even beating me on my pure fighter sweeps. (Which feel really gamey, by the way)

I understand the designer's position is that you should recon and bomb enemy airfields aggressively. OK, except I'm playing on hardcore recon, which means I would have to recon each individual possible airfield. And with no dedicated recon units. There are literally scores of possible sites... so aside from the sheer tedium of doing that every turn, I wouldn't have any planes left over to run actual ground support missions.

I really would welcome an overhaul of the air game. The ground game here feels really right. The air game feels really wrong.

Perhaps a higher level of abstraction is needed for airfield strikes and air superiority. Ie, send your fighters in to dominate a sector of the front (maybe a 30-hex radius or so). They fight any enemy fighters in the area, with vaguely historical outcomes. ie, the Luftwaffe should be winning most of the time at this stage. If your fighters succeed, then any airstrikes in that radius won't be intercepted.

Same for airfield strikes. They should hit any airfields in a 30-hex radius.

Anyway, I've stopped my first full Case Blue playthrough because I'm so flummoxed by the air game. Any help?
Post #: 1
RE: The air game - 7/21/2015 9:06:26 PM   
RCH

This is a really great game except for the air war and modding difficulties.

The Axis had Stukas bombing Stalingrad and I want to see this in game, but I haven't. There is a mod that has a better Axis air force and adjusted replacement settings, but it also falls short.

These deficiencies has caused me to put down the game. I will not be buying the new release until this game is improved. So, I guess that I will be left behind.

This is terrible because I really like so many aspects of this game.

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> The air game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI