Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rangoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Rangoon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rangoon - 7/14/2015 8:08:29 PM   
Ranger5355

Any hints on how the allies retake Rangoon?
I have a base at Ramree.
Post #: 1
RE: Rangoon - 7/14/2015 9:05:21 PM   
HansBolter

The water between Ramree and the mainland is treated as a river...ie..crossable by LCUs.

Marching to Rangoon is the best choice.

Marching avoids all those nasty risks of sunken ships and drowned soldiers.

Hans

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 2
RE: Rangoon - 7/14/2015 9:05:27 PM   
Lowpe

Land at Tavoy.

or Mergui.

You have given us almost 0 information to help you with.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/15/2015 1:45:24 AM >

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 3
RE: Rangoon - 7/15/2015 12:32:29 AM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

The water between Ramree and the mainland is treated as a river...ie..crossable by LCUs.

Marching to Rangoon is the best choice.

Marching avoids all those nasty risks of sunken ships and drowned soldiers.

True but if you're playing PBEM your opponent should be aware of this and will have a reception party waiting for you across the 'river'. Make sure you know whats there and plan accordingly. You don't want the shock attack severely damaging your forces.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4
RE: Rangoon - 7/15/2015 8:29:02 AM   
Ranger5355

Marching was the plan all along, I was just getting cold feet

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: Rangoon - 7/16/2015 3:48:59 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

The nice thing about Ramree is there are three possible hexes you can march to, and it's unlikely your opponent will put forces in all of them. Also you can be "tricksy" and add the element of uncertainty by having some insignificant units marching to two hexes while the main force moves toward the third. The arrows will show movement in all three directions and your opponent can only guess which is the main attack force (have the diversionary units move in "combat" mode while the main force uses "move", and they'll take twice as long to move - which lets you stop them after the main force reaches it's destination)

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 6
RE: Rangoon - 7/16/2015 10:42:54 AM   
Ranger5355

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

The nice thing about Ramree is there are three possible hexes you can march to, and it's unlikely your opponent will put forces in all of them. Also you can be "tricksy" and add the element of uncertainty by having some insignificant units marching to two hexes while the main force moves toward the third. The arrows will show movement in all three directions and your opponent can only guess which is the main attack force (have the diversionary units move in "combat" mode while the main force uses "move", and they'll take twice as long to move - which lets you stop them after the main force reaches it's destination)

Thanks for the tips and links. Very helpful.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 7
RE: Rangoon - 7/17/2015 11:35:00 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

There's only one hex you can 'march' to, and IIRC its dircetly to the 'east'. Hit the hot key that shows you hex crossings and you'll see. I forget the key.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 8
RE: Rangoon - 7/18/2015 3:32:25 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

There's only one hex you can 'march' to, and IIRC its dircetly to the 'east'. Hit the hot key that shows you hex crossings and you'll see. I forget the key.

It's "F6" and yes...indeed you are correct....I doff my hat to you, sir!

< Message edited by Kull -- 7/18/2015 6:44:24 AM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: Rangoon - 8/24/2015 9:53:52 AM   
WarInTheMist

Is it possible to send reinforcements to Rangoon by sea? British brigades are en route from Cape Town at the beginning of the scenario. Some Indian brigades come from Karachi and also some AAs are available at Cape town...

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 10
RE: Rangoon - 8/24/2015 12:09:24 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarInTheMist

Is it possible to send reinforcements to Rangoon by sea? British brigades are en route from Cape Town at the beginning of the scenario. Some Indian brigades come from Karachi and also some AAs are available at Cape town...

Yes, as long as the individual ships are not too large to go up river. Don't ask me what the limit is. CAs can fit up river BBs cannot.

You'll need to concentrate the AVG and all available British air to ward off NAV attacks from Bangkok.

It's also a good idea to pump as much supply in as possible to be pulled down the road to China before the opportunity closes down.

Hans

(in reply to WarInTheMist)
Post #: 11
RE: Rangoon - 8/24/2015 12:30:06 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Limit is 15,000 ton... don't send the Queen Elizabeth!!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 12
RE: Rangoon - 8/24/2015 2:16:46 PM   
WarInTheMist

quote:

quote:

Yes, as long as the individual ships are not too large to go up river. Don't ask me what the limit is. CAs can fit up river BBs cannot.

You'll need to concentrate the AVG and all available British air to ward off NAV attacks from Bangkok.

It's also a good idea to pump as much supply in as possible to be pulled down the road to China before the opportunity closes down.

- What do you mean by AVG?
- Is a big convoy possible? Detection Levels may be high.
- Do I need to imply my CVL Hermes as an air protection for the convoy?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 13
RE: Rangoon - 8/24/2015 2:26:44 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

quote:

- What do you mean by AVG?
- Is a big convoy possible? Detection Levels may be high.
- Do I need to imply my CVL Hermes as an air protection for the convoy?

1. The AVG is 3 fighter squadrons equipped with the H81-A3 fighter (an export version of the Warhawk).

2. You can send a big convoy if you want. The 15k tonnage limit only applies to individual ships. The aggregate tonnage of the task force can exceed 15k.

3. The Hermes can carry only limited numbers of aircraft. At this stage of the war it will only have access to British carrier trained aircraft. It is your judgement call as to whether it is useful to have it in a separate Air Task Force shadowing your supply convoy.

Alfred

(in reply to WarInTheMist)
Post #: 14
RE: Rangoon - 8/24/2015 2:44:57 PM   
HansBolter

To elaborate on Alfred's response:

AVG stands for American Volunteer Group. Their three squadrons and a support base start just up the Burma road from Rangoon.

Only one squadron can transfer to Rangoon freely. The other two are under a restricted HQ and will need to be bought out with Political Points to be able to transfer.

I typically send supply convoys with 20+ xAKLs into Rangoon so as Alfred pointed out the 15k limit is ship size not TF size.

Sending the Hermes there would be a liability. The same LBA that is covering the supply/transport convoys would also have to protect the Hermes.

It has too small a capacity to be able to carry sufficient fighters to cover itself. Also there are no British carrier capable fighters on the map at start in stock scenarios.

All that is available to put aboard the Hermes are torpedo bombers until some Fulmers arrive as reinforcements.

To cover naval missions into Rangoon a large concentration of LBA at Rangoon flying CAP is what is required.

Even then some NAV bombers WILL penetrate your CAP and there will be a toll to pay for getting the supply and/or troops through.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 8/24/2015 3:46:14 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Rangoon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI